Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

$$--Metal Detecting Television Commercials--$$

Posted by jimmyjiver 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
$$--Metal Detecting Television Commercials--$$
January 30, 2014 11:49PM
Hi,,,,I can't help wondering what's up with seeing a commercial for White's metal detectors the other night? I have not seen one of them around here in years and years.... I'm also hearing that other companies may follow suit....So far I hear that Minelab is running one and some insurance company is also running one....I have not seen them two so I can not verify that to be 100% true.....I have also noticed that there is a lot of stores handling them now..Here is just a partial list of stores that now carry metal detectors ::::Kmart,Sears,Walmart,Radio Shack,Harborfreight,Basspro,Cabela's,Target and the list goes on&on....What's next a vending machine outside your favorite store dispensing metal detectors?..LoL.. I do know metal detecting is getting more popular day by day....It's not at all uncommon for me to get a phone call or be approached by someone while I'm in a store or on the street...They usually ask me what do I find while metal detecting?....Then they talk about their interest in doing it and what machine do I recommend they get?....Naturally I tell them the truth (sorta LoL) but at the same time I try to stress the point that it's not as easy as it looks and it takes years to consistently pull the older coins.....It all makes you kinda wonder what the future has in store for us,with this ever growing popular outdoor activity?....I know I have some concerns for the future...One of them involves me seeing a sign that says....(NO METAL DETECTING)....Any thoughts....JJ
Re: $$--Metal Detecting Television Commercials--$$
January 31, 2014 12:36AM
I fully agree with you, jimmy...this is not a hobby that needs to grow dramatically; a bunch of newbies running around tearing up parks and schoolyards can only spell bad news for us.

On the other hand, I would guess that something like 90% of folks who buy a detector have visions of getting rich with all the goodies just waiting for them -- but after an outing or two of being confused by false/iron signals and digging a bunch of pull tabs and other trash, they put the machine in the closet, rarely if ever to be used again. SO, my point is, the vast majority of these people who have seen all the goodies getting dug on the various/recent TV shows will end up quickly discouraged -- and thus not much of a threat, in the end.

That being said, I think it might be a good idea for us to be aware that there may be greater numbers of newbies showing up at our local parks, and that five minutes of our time teaching them how to properly dig and repair a plug might -- until they get bored and put the detector in the closet -- keep things under control such that those dreaded NO METAL DETECTING signs don't end up being erected...

Steve
January 31, 2014 02:29AM
Those Whites commercials are responsible for me being into detecting. My four year old son saw the one with the guy on the beach holding the big gold cross necklace and he wanted a metal detector. He got one for his fifth birthday. The Bounty Hunter Jr. That little lightweight $60 kids detector got me hooked. We were finding great stuff right out of the box. Wheaties, silver, even a 1901 V nickel on our first trip to the park. So I'm not against the commercials. They do lead some people to be passionate about the hobby as I am. I also agree that most people will quickly be discouraged by all the trash. At least they will keep funding the research and development of the fine detector manufacturers. We do alot of free advertising for them on the forums. Someone is always talking about how great this or that detector is and when most people post the great finds they make they don't show any pics of how much trash they dug the same day. I dig alot of trash, but don't mind it because the trash leads to the treasure if you are on an old site that is. Now I guess I'm just ranting. I like the Farmers commercials too. It's funny. You see the one where the old prospector guy sees the kewelry box through the window?

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
January 31, 2014 02:57PM
Whites has been running those commercials for years and odd ball companies you mention have been selling entry level units for years so its nothing new.
Have to agree with the forum that the above has indeed brought many newbies into the hobby and locally a couple of them almost destroyed a local park so can understand your concern.