Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A chance encounter...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A chance encounter...
February 06, 2014 11:12PM
Stopped at Mickey D's for a hot cup on a cold winters day with 8-9 inches of snow on the ground..Saw a fellow sitting next to me with a uniform on close to what our game protectors wear and noticed a patch "Boy Scouts of America"...He started a conversation and he introduced himself as a Ranger from a large Boy Scout Camp( circa 1919)...To make a long story short he gave me his card and said to give him a call for a tour of the camp and permission to hunt during the week before June when the scouts move in. Find the right area of early campground activities and for sure a silver or two will go in Dan's pouch..Takes more than inclement weather to keep ardent digger down...Hopefully in the Spring can followup....
A half hour drive with the thought of possibilities of a camp all to myself sent shivers down my spine...
Re: A chance encounter...
February 06, 2014 11:42PM
Way to go Dan as those old scout camps are great for old coins! I had one by me I pounded for years. It was an old one as I pulled alot of Barbers and V nickels out of there. It was secluded out in the woods and peaceful to hunt. I still go back for the nice serinity eventhough the finds have mostly dried up. But every spring thaw it is worth a return as may still have a keeper or two.
February 07, 2014 12:20AM
Should be good Dan! A bunch of us (30 or so) from the Kinzli California forum hit a b.s. camp years ago...the silver came easy! I think I came away with around 10 silver dimes/quarters, and even saw some halves found. Good luck!!!! Ray
February 07, 2014 01:04AM
Hi Dan,,,way to go, I hope you do great there....I have read where people have hit these spots and done really good...You may even hit one of the old boy scout hatchet heads or a neckerchief slide.....JJ
February 07, 2014 01:31AM
Good for you smiling smiley Yep, Mother Nature can't keep a good man down, Dan! I'm in NJ only a stones throw from you, and this is one of the worst winters in years. Seems like there's a storm every week or so. And what a great way to cure the winter blues than finding a virgin hunting site! My buddy fluke & I hit a BS camp from the 30's two years ago. Mercs, buffs, rings, stuff was flying out of the ground. Sounds like you're gonna have a great spring!!!

Joe
February 07, 2014 01:44PM
Some of the best silver days I ever had were at an old scout camp along with many rings, buckles,tie slides and pocket knives . Hope it is a good one for you Dan .