Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

One wonders...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
One wonders...
February 07, 2014 02:24PM
Will the harsh winter and frigid temps move some of the silver around. Don't know but plan to hit an old spot ot two come Spring to find out...
Re: One wonders...
February 07, 2014 02:58PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will the harsh winter and frigid temps move some
> of the silver around. Don't know but plan to hit
> an old spot ot two come Spring to find out...

Funny you mentioned that Dan. I was talking to the wife last night and told her we have had 28 days below zero SO FAR with more expected. I made the comment that when the ground starts thawing the coins should get pushed up somewhat. This has been one of the coldest winters we have had in a spell. COME ON SPRING.
February 07, 2014 06:08PM
Hi Dan,,,,I guess that it's possible to see some frost action on coins this spring...I have actually witnessed a road around here showing some frost heaving already and it's not even close to spring....JJ
February 07, 2014 06:19PM
Our frost line is 3 ft deep here in Michigan

coins/relics get pushed upwards due to frost up-heaving every spring

spring is THE best time to hunt here in MI just after the thaw (generally during the month of April) but can start mid march if we have an earlier than normal spring set in.

I have hunted many sites with the same machine/s where by the end of fall you're not finding a single good target anywhere but let the thaw begin after another winter and I have pulled coins/etc. out of the same ground that were not heard/found the year before even though I know I've went over that same patch of ground a 100 times ;-)

Come ON spring/the thaw!
February 07, 2014 06:54PM
Yep, agree wholeheartedly with what others have said! Heck, I go back to all my spots every Spring, and it's almost like hunting a new spot! Look at it this way...

All those coins on edge or juuuuuuust a hair too deep for your detector to pick-up? The thaw moves them even a quarter inch & you can now hear the signal versus before. Also, remember the tree roots. The thaw moves them around and pushes them to & fro also. They also help those oldies get pushed up more or maneuver them so your machine can pick them up better. Here in the NE, what with this brutally cold & snowy winter, I'm predicting a VERY good spring hunt smiling smiley

MRH is right on! Same thing here. I'll kill a spot to the point where there's nary a good signal to be had. Go back after thaw & it's like "these coins weren't here last year!!!", lol.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 06:57PM by njnydigger.
February 08, 2014 10:50PM
Dan, this is one of the harshes winter we have had up here in 20 years, ground has been frozen since Thankgiving, we have a foot of snow on the ground now and a storm comes twice a week, March, if the snow is gone will be very muddy, I too have been thinking about any push up coins, I have about 10 places to hit in the sping that I know are cleaned out, if I dig anything good, it is from the push up, time will tell