Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NEL coil's, Thought's so far

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
NEL coil's, Thought's so far
February 08, 2014 08:40PM
Again Built to above average Specs..at below average price....

The aim seems to be to offer DIFFERENT sizes or even coils thats not available for certain machine's..And do it with Quality and cheaper cost...

And I can applaud them for that..Yet at the same time I wonder why build a 5 inch coil when ones available or the 5x10 FT coil when they become available....maybe in other parts of the world FT coils and even machines are hard to get..

Now what I see wiht the 5 Inch for the GMP its a win win.. since theres no small coil for the GMP...and since the GMP has a unique way of looking at target's MULTIPLE targets at once...I have no real way of knowing if XP built a coil of that size if it would be better or worse...but for the GMP platfrom I like it alot..

now on the G2 5 NEL Vs the 5 G2 I see a edge in depth to the 5 NEL and I see a SMALL edge in separation to the 5 G2 FT coil...

And that tells me its probably on purpose....For more sales...people love depth and in detectors Depth sell's...so if one says I see about an inch more with the NEL over the factory of same size and the cost is 1/3 rd less its a no brainer...OR IS IT...use them for what you want to get out of them...

I actually think the real advantage of the NEL coils is going to come on the larger than stock coil's...when going for more depth...Now if your not splitting hairs in iron then the smaller coils are perfectly fine and sure are built better..the 5 incher sure does get a tad longer look on smaller items like small gold that the same factory 5 barely peeps on, yet the factory 5 sees in between targets a tad better ...so its a fine line ..Actually if I was prospecting more open areas needing to get in tight spots the 5 NEL on the G2 would be the one to grab...

I can only surmise the 5.5x9.5 would be the same as comparing it to the factory 5x10....slightly better depth and MAYBE a bit of a loss in separation...and again maybe a benefit in prospecting but not in the densest of iron trash.....

I see where they are coming form with the NEL's..and built great yet do exhibit differences form factory ..

I want to get a 5.5 X 9.5 and try it agianst the 5x10 factory..To see if my way of thinking is right...

also look at the 5 incher for the AT series...if the 5 incher on the AT's does as well as the G2 or GMP for depth then its way better than the weird 4 incher that Garrett put out....that coil is lifeless...no depth and no recovery speed...The NEL 5 on the AT could open new doors in iron spot's...

So again choose what works for you and to your advantage...

I can applaud NEL for stepping up to the plate with options for us to have....and coil's we could not have till now...

But choose them for advantage....you want the best combos for the job at hand...its up to us to figure out the combo's...

Again FINE LINE's in some aspect's and huge advantages in other's...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 08:41PM by Keith Southern.
Re: NEL coil's, Thought's so far
February 08, 2014 08:54PM
After using the NEL 5.5x9.5 on the T2, I don't think I will be using the stock or 5" coil any more. Works great, very good depth. It is almost like the coil has been tuned to the detector, not the detector to the coil.

Tom in SC
February 08, 2014 09:17PM
I still plan on getting the AT 5 inch...hence the coils I have for sale. But gotta walk that fine line with the wife...sure some married guys can understand,lol. I will report when I pull the trigger...may take couple weeks,since this week is Valentines Day,haha
February 08, 2014 10:15PM
Thast the thing Manly..when the 5x10 come's out for the T2 from Teknetics...It will cost about 180.00 bucks...But I KNOW it is the best coil for the G2 for keeping on 90% of the time....

So Im sure your seeing that right now with the T2 with the 5.5x9.5 NEL...that's one of my favorite size coils in the world for a high gain machine.....but what if the 5x10 T2 coil is a tad bit faster and a tad bit shallower...which one would you want in the iron?...What if you only had that one coil as the optional coil?

Then you look at it and say I give up an inch depth to gain slight separation...yet If Im serious about separation I would drop back to the 5 incher if available to you...So it ultimately seem's to be the 5.5x9.5 NEL can become the best crusier coil....and even a site working coil to a great degree...then drop back to the 5 incher of your choosing for the serious site work...

FINE LINE's again....

Finding the right coil machine match is sometimes tedious work...

And we still have unanswered questions to the 5x10 shootout...Especially if you want it as your everything do all coil...and a 5x10 can be that type coil in alot of way's...

I sure do like the build quality of the NEL coils and the price point...And I want the best performance for application no matter the cost...tricky...

Im still waiting for the EUREKA moment on the 5 inch NEL to replace the 5" FT.As that's the bread and butter size coil for the site work. yet the other sizes may well do it straight out of the box.....I know the 5 incher did on the GMP...

Im hard headed at times though and work iron with the 5x10 knowing the 5" round DD is the better choice but I just like the look and feel and reactivity of the 5x10 ..Seems you have found that on the combo you have as of late....

thank's for the feedback Tom

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 10:33PM by Keith Southern.
February 08, 2014 10:24PM
Ray, that's a no brainer, get the wife a 5" coil for valentines day! She gets the surprise, you get to use it! LOL.
Reminds me I did a house call once, by a mother of an 8 yr old boy. She received a little boys catchers mitt from him , for HER birthday. We all had a good laugh on that one.
February 08, 2014 10:55PM
hey possum, great idea....you have a spare room I can rent???lol
February 09, 2014 12:02AM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hey possum, great idea....you have a spare room I
> can rent???lol

Funny Ray = that's about it too!

Good info on the Nel's here Keith

can't wait to try mine out on the AT Pro - I really like the quality of these coils too -- reminds me of old tyme fisher coils (built like tanks)!
February 09, 2014 07:39PM
ALWAYS buy your wife something when you buy yourself a coil , or anything else for that matter ...... It can be a parellel gift like buying her a piece of jewelry , everytime you buy a coil .... This way she will be asking you when you are buying your next coil rather than complaining that you are buying one ...... Jim
February 09, 2014 10:37PM
synthnut Wrote:
> ALWAYS buy your wife something when you buy
> yourself a coil , or anything else for that matter
> ...... It can be a parellel gift like buying her
> a piece of jewelry , everytime you buy a coil ....
> This way she will be asking you when you are
> buying your next coil rather than complaining that
> you are buying one ...... Jim

Aw Jim-----That's gonna backfire on you big time one of these days!-----She's gonna end up wanting/DEMANDING you buy her that Honda CRV when you go to buy that 8" donut (or similar) coil you've been ah wantin! ha ha
February 10, 2014 12:24AM
Aw Jim-----That's gonna backfire on you big time one of these days!-----She's gonna end up wanting/DEMANDING you buy her that Honda CRV when you go to buy that 8" donut (or similar) coil you've been ah wantin! ha ha

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA !!!........Not a problemo !!.......I sent her to driving school so she could learn to drive ......She got her license , and 3 days later she was backing out of the driveway to practice going around the block by herself ......Problem was , she didn't have it in "R" .....She had it in "D" ....... That nice little Hyundai Elantra that I bought her went right thru the CLOSED garage door and when it came to a stop against my work bench , she was STILL on the gas, and the car was trying to go into my house !!.....She FROZE with her foot on the gas !!......I had to go into the garage after her and turn the ignition off to stop the car !!!...... She never drove again after that ..... It was a pretty intense day !!..... Jim