Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question on National Historic Preservation Act of 1966

Posted by Indiana Heath 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question on National Historic Preservation Act of 1966
January 16, 2008 01:37PM
I just recently learned of this law (NHPA) passed in 1966 by Congress to maintain a list of buildings, sites, districts, structures, and objects of local, state, or national significance in American history. This list is called the National Register of Historic Places,and the properties it includes are protected from treasure hunting. My iron-pit relic site is NOT on this list, however there are 2 places @ 1/2 mile down from it and another one another 1/2 mile down from there. I am on private ground with owners permission. Even if a site is on private property it cannot be hunted if it is on the National Registery. I have in the past hunted a couple of places that were (didn't find anything), not knowing about this law and also had permission for them(one was our local court house which the commisioners had given me permission...they didn't know about this law either as I found out the court house is on that list. To find out all of the sites that are on it for any given county, you can go to web site and pull up the state you want then type in the county and you will find all of the listed sites. The exact boundaries on some of these places are not marked so it would be hard to tell if you were legal or not. Has anyone had any experience with this? Some may not even know like me....don't want anyone to get into trouble.

The reason I am hunting my relic site so hard now is it could change owners and might be denied or it could even be put on the registery at some future date. Have to enjoy it each time like it might be the last....hopefully it will last for years. When I go out to hunt I want to know I am legal so I can enjoy the hunt and not worry about it. There can also be local and state laws pertaining to this also...need to cover all bases. I found out about alot of this in The Urban Treasure Hunter by Michael Chaplan.

Brad
Re: Question on National Historic Preservation Act of 1966
January 17, 2008 01:39AM
This is one of those issues that MAY be 'pushed' if deemed necessary. There is nearly a law for almost anything so as to cover all bases...... should something (or someone) abuse.