Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Union Spur ????

Posted by docbars 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Union Spur ????
March 04, 2014 04:15AM
Hey guys.
I was hunting an old home site last Tuesday. (1870) . I found my first spur. I'am curious if this is a regulation union spur? I did some more research and found that the original landowner was also a union soldier and severed 3 year in the Cival war. I found out he was an infantryman.
I also found a pretty sweet US padlock and a big round lead ball, which I think is an Ox Knob.?? Also found a railroad tag,oillamp,1909 IH, 1903 barberdime.
HH
Corey
Re: Union Spur ????
March 04, 2014 04:34AM
Nice digs doc :-)

Don't have a clue on the spur though.
March 04, 2014 05:02AM
Its a Confederate Spur...

I would say by looking at it its a Richmond variant....

Down this way (GA) we dig ones that look sort of like yet are associtated with the Western theatre...I have quite a few halves of that sort of design...

Nice find...What part of the country are you in? Most of those styles will be out of the Eastern Theatre like Virginia...lots of those will come out of the Pennsylvania area also..And Tennessee especially in the north east corner ..

Also Can be found in Ohio as Confederate cavaly encroached into that area..Especially in the River area...

Ive seen abuddy of mine dig 15 of those dug complete in one spot West Of Atlanta...Sort of rare for that syle to be found in abundnace this far south and complete...

Keith
March 04, 2014 05:17AM
Keith
Wow !! that is sweet.
I live in SE Ohio(Noble county) 30 min. north of the Ohio river, and this spur was also found here in Noble county. We had Gen Morgans Raiders come thru just east of this location ,maybe 10 miles. A few years a go I found several .58 minnie balls just up the road from me in a big hollar. This spot was were morgan raiders were leaving a small town and got into a gunfight with approaching union cavalry scouts.
I have only covered maybe half of this spot. I hunted in 17 degree weather for 5 hrs. My Etrac finnally frozed up LOL I did get some video.
Thanks again for the info
Corey
March 04, 2014 02:08PM
General Morgan had strict orders from Bragg not to cross over into Ohio lucky for you he did.
Morgan was captured soon after this but managed to escape. Keep looking there are some great relics in Morgan camps.
March 04, 2014 02:27PM
Nice finds,
To me that spur instantly told a story of a soldier going down on a horse and the horse landing on it and him. But I saw it from the horses point of view as he took the bullets and the man slid out from under and crawled away leaving his boot and spur. HA HA Just one of thousands of possibilities thats what I love about the relics Im starting to get into it more and more.
The way it is smashed does look like it was worn at the time.
Best
jim
March 04, 2014 03:11PM
Hi,,,congratulations on a successful hunt....JJ
March 04, 2014 10:21PM
Thanks all.
Corey
March 05, 2014 02:39AM
Hey Corey,..Stay on that site...theres a good chance you will see a reb button or better come out of there...

Yankees did not take a Reb spur as a soveneir.. it was dropped there by a Reb I would almost bet..and yes It could well be Morgan's men...

did not Know you were in Ohio...Good luck..

P.S.

I have a buddy who has a Savage Pistol still loaded... it was dug on the Ohio river where Morgan crossed....it was dug back in the 70's on the bank of the river....

Very unique piece.

Hop you find a good un up your way!!

Keith
March 05, 2014 04:15AM
Wow, great finds!!!!!!!
March 06, 2014 05:02AM
Kevin B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, great finds!!!!!!!

Thanks Kevin
Corey
March 06, 2014 05:05AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Corey,..Stay on that site...theres a good
> chance you will see a reb button or better come
> out of there...
>
> Yankees did not take a Reb spur as a soveneir.. it
> was dropped there by a Reb I would almost bet..and
> yes It could well be Morgan's men...
>
> did not Know you were in Ohio...Good luck..
>
> P.S.
>
> I have a buddy who has a Savage Pistol still

> loaded... it was dug on the Ohio river where
> Morgan crossed....it was dug back in the 70's on
> the bank of the river....
>
> Very unique piece.
>
> Hop you find a good un up your way!!

>
> Keith

Thanks Keith.
I hoping to search this area again this weekend.
Man that Savage pistol find would of blown my mind lol.
Corey