Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First relic hunt with GoldMaxx Power

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First relic hunt with GoldMaxx Power
March 04, 2014 07:38AM
Finally, Had a chance to use the GMP at an old adobe site. Met up with a good friend (El) who lives in an old area rich with history, We share sites and together locate old settlements from hard research.

This is an un-hunted site we located 6-7 years back, It appears to be a small settlement larger than what we had anticipated based from the last two hunts.. We sort of hit it back then found lot's of old iron lots of surface chard so we new it had potential, but with so many other sites going on we parked it for future hunts. Recently El bagged a rare phoenix button from this site, These are a rare treat for serious hunters that's one of the bucket finds on most California relic hunters list and to get one is a major victory.

Recently, El and I hit it and did pretty good so we hit it again and started finding mission era finds on the last trip in as shown in the pics below. El was using his T-2 and did well bagging a cool musket rifle part and what may be other gun parts, several mission era buttons and numerous finds all below 1850's some going back to late 1700's.

I stuck to the GMP throughout the entire 4-5 hours we hunted, To be honest the GMP is a fine machine but it has a learning curve. It wasn't until the last hour started to learn (from the audio) what to pass up so up until then dug a ton of old iron, almost tossed the GMP in the pickup and switched to the Vista Gold for I know the Vista Gold like the back of my hand but bit the bullet and hung in there with the GMP.

Before I forget....Just want to share with you with those having a Vista Gold or a GMP, Both are fine machines either one will get the job done at older sites no need to upgrade or get the other trust me both do extremely well.

About the last 2 hours of the hunt, kind of joked to El maybe we should call this button hill with all the buttons we're finding and won't be long a reale will surface. Then 10 minutes later the GMP bags a reale. Wasn't until getting home and after cleaning the finds seen the reale was 1797, She's thin as a rail goes to show the GMP can and will hit on thin silver.

With El's permission, Here's a pic of my buddy detecting what may be a small settlement.

Thanks for looking,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2014 05:04AM by Old California.
Re: First relic hunt with GoldMaxx Power
March 04, 2014 12:56PM
Looks like you are getting the handle on the GMP with no problems. Looking forward to more of your finds with the GMP.

Good luck
Tom in SC
March 04, 2014 01:29PM
Wow. I'm impressed with all the iron relics.
Is that a silver 'coin button' in the very upper right of photo?
March 04, 2014 01:52PM
Super finds with the GMP
March 04, 2014 01:58PM
Great digs there Paul that looks like the relics we dig around here in TN.
GMP is a great detector that's why I have never let go of mine.
March 04, 2014 02:15PM
Nice hunt Paul,
Looks like a good day I really like the horse anchor. nice fire place ornament just the way they are. Do you know what the item is between the horse shoes that is cross shaped? I found one that is very similar but made of brass. I was thinking some kind of heavy duty latch But ????

Take care!
Jim
March 04, 2014 03:15PM
Hi Paul,,,hey congratulations on a very successful hunt....You gotta to love just getting out detecting while others are confined to the indoors due to the weather conditions....JJ
March 04, 2014 05:10PM
Thanks Tom in SC,

Actually, Still adjusting to the learning curve on the GMP. For Gold jewelry hunting soccer fields/school fields the audio is perfect but for relic hunting in areas laced with iron still have a ways to go to learn what the machine is saying. It has a learning curve to for sure well the audio that is, Was lucky to get out won't be a while before another free day surfaces maybe in 2-4 weeks.

Thanks Nasa Tom and good eye that is indeed a reale made into a Spanish button,

Last night was looking at the inside and seen some lettering on the inside rim of coin. It's the same diameter as the reale quite possible about the same type and era. Have found several seated 1/2 dimes in other areas made into buttons and one small reale years ago made into a button as well, In fact that small reale made into a button was from an abode site just a few miles away from these recent finds. We dug lots of large pieces of old iron, What you see in the pic above was only a sample of iron we hauled out on this last trip in. Actually, My pouch was getting so heavy with iron it was dragging down my bridges had to constantly stop and lift up my pants smiling smiley Will post a couple of new pics on the reale button and of one smaller reale made into a button.

Thanks Docbar, Jimmy, John and Jim,

Once serious Gold jewelry hunters catch on and purchase the GMP you're going to see allot more GMP post in the future, It is an excellent gold jewelry hunter so those that do both relic hunt and search for gold jewelry are making out like bandits getting a machine that can do both. I use the middle tone for gold jewelry range, And with the GMP hitting hard on extremely low conductive thin/tiny targets it gives a different audio signal that I can call before digging it. The GMP is a neat machine, So much audio information which can be a benefit for hunting, New GMP users need to have patience and go through the learning curve process.

Jim, (godigit) The spike cross is off an old plow, I've found these before and these are attached to the plow to cultivate the ground.

Thanks again everyone,
Paul (Ca)

March 04, 2014 09:10PM
Hey Paul, is the item godigit is referring to as a fire place ornament next to my musket trigger? The one we thought was part of a plow.
March 04, 2014 11:56PM
Wow!!!!! Man you have that machine figured out!!!!! Congrats!!!
March 05, 2014 12:13AM
Hi El!!! Good to see ya back bud. What detector where you using?? Ray
The iron cross piece looks to me like a Single Point Guard for a cycle mower bar.
March 05, 2014 12:31AM
At least it looks like it to me......
March 05, 2014 12:36AM
The 8-sided button may be a 2-reale or 4-reale (cut cob); hence, not round.
Looks like you scored several coins (reale's). Just did not know it!
Mega-Congrat's!!!
March 05, 2014 01:06AM
Absolutely beautiful finds. Congratulations!! Come on Spring thaw!!!
March 05, 2014 02:25AM
Great Digs Paul....

Looks like your on a early site for sure out your way...Whate that under the small reale Button at the top..I see some wording on it.. cnat make it out though...is it a button or a saw Nut?

Great digs on the Spanish Silver... and tell your friend congrats on the Phoenix!

I need to get out that way one day and do some Hunting...Just to say I have hunted the West coast Relics!!

I want to dig ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some Ghost towns out west...

Some goldminers camps in Cali..

Go to England and dig some Roman artifact's..

Go into Europe and dig some WW2 relics..

And take a stab at a hunt in Australia working thorugh the old miners camps down that way..

Heck that's not to much to ask...

I plan on hopefully being retired by 49 so maybe I can do it after that...

Keith
March 05, 2014 04:15AM
Dang dude,Im 48 and no retirement in sight...Best of luck!!!
March 05, 2014 05:18AM
Hi Ray.

Been here just mostly lurking and admiring all the great finds here.

I was using the Green T2 with the sharpshooter coil and now thinking of the GMP and Vista gold.

When Paul hit his targets with the GMP they were a sharp bang, no doubts.

This was the third hunt at this site. The first one was non productive but on the second hunt I was on my own. Paul had to work so I gave it a try and came away with A #2 Phoenix Coat button, an Infantry Eagle Cuff Button and two mission era buttons along with a ton of iron relics and trash.

I think this hunt was so successful because of the recent rains we had.

I've got a great mentor in Paul.

El
March 05, 2014 12:50PM
Amazing how much is: "in the iron"
March 05, 2014 05:33PM
Had a fun day El and enjoyed hunting with you, Glad we were able to get together again. The spike object is from an old plow, Have found these before all from older settlements. See you soon, If work allows hopefully in 2-4 weeks smiling smiley

Nasa Tom, Yes I believe you're right the 8-sided button appears to be of a larger reale. But it's worn so thin can't make out any detail, I suppose back then they would use the worn silver reales buttons and such. I read from a book the elite Vaquero's would use buttons made from reales because the silver appearance stood out, Makes sense they wanted to stand out in both ridding skill and appearance.

Went over some pass finds this morning and found another reale button, This reale button is located about 2 miles from this recent hunt site so the area has allot of history of early Spaniards in the area. So that makes 4 reales buttons I have found all from the general area, Pretty cool found four and of the four two were passed up as a plain button didn't even know they were made from a reale. Appreciate the ID help Tom, Cool finds for sure! Will post a pic of the 4 reale buttons from this general area.

Hey Keith,

That find under the small reale button is another reale button from a pass hunt different site near this area. This particular reale button has little wear so the letting still stands out, Think I found this one 5-6 years ago.

If you ever make it out this way let me know, Maybe we can hunt a few places both gold miners camps and other ghost town sites. I know of an extremely old Gold Rush site that has allot of history, Done well there with pass finds I'll just need to contact the owner to get access again. Been a few years since I've seen him, Allot of ground to cover you'll need to be in fair hiking condition we will be carrying backpacks with enough grub and water for a day. Snake guards too if it's rattlesnake season. You take care Keith!

Ray, El was using his T-2. That is a good machine for sites like these, Sure the GMP and Vista Gold have an edge but allot of times this extra edge can get a hunter in trouble with digging more iron which reduces valuable detecting time when one is limited with a few hours to hunt.

Thanks Tracy Jim and Kevin, Still learning the GMP it does have a learning curve thank goodness not as long a leaning curve as the Sovereign smiling smiley

Thanks again everyone!

Paul (Ca)

March 06, 2014 12:51AM
VERY good photo with the buttons on top of the book! Classic.

There are many folks that may never find 4 Spanish reales in a life-time. Cherish these moments!
March 06, 2014 08:11PM
Thanks Tom,

Sure will cherish these moments, The finds are neat but in a sense making the find leaves an everlasting moment etched in our minds eye that can not be replaced.

Was telling my buddy El that this site has potential to give up a Bust coin or two, It has all the signs of early American California activity after the Spaniards arrive based from past finds very similar to this site. Hoping this is the case it will be a treat to pull out a Bust from here, Hopefully El get's the first that will be cool!

Here's a quick pic of a sample of finds I've pulled from similar sites, Think next trip in will use the Vista Gold and will share those finds here. Hopefully get out in 2-4 weeks, If work and weather allows.

Thanks again Tom,
Paul (Ca)

March 06, 2014 09:43PM
That's some fairly significant history there.
March 08, 2014 03:03AM
Great relics and coins for all of the research the two of you have put in. I have enjoyed the DTVG and wondered if buying a GMP would be an upgrade worth the extra cost. Keep us posted on future hunts. I guess I am a lot like Keith in that I want to relic hunt in so many of the great spots of past history all around the world, and while doing that I would also like to detect some of the great beaches as well...Stuart
March 08, 2014 06:40PM
Thanks Stuart,

I can understand you wanting to hunt many great spots of past history even if nothing surfaces heck just to walk on old land rich with history is a treat in itself, Hope you and many others have the opportunity to get out the fulfill these memorial hunts.

Between the Vista Gold and GMP not much of a difference in separation in my area, But the only way one can benefit with the GMP is to get pass the leaning curve otherwise one will be digging more iron with the GMP over the Vista Gold. Both are fine machines, But the GMP is a bit tougher to learn.

Strictly for relic hunting, The Vista Gold is an awesome machine but if one has other types of hunting such as Gold jewelry hunting then the GMP will be the much better machine due to the 3-tone feature. That's one of the several features I enjoy with the GMP one being the 3-tone feature, I would say if you're just into relic hunting and don't venture into gold jewelry hunts then all you need is the Vista Gold. Plus, The Vista Gold is pretty much a turn on and go detector with such a short learning curve and the audio is very clean and crisp so that too makes the Vista Gold a winner.

Just sprung for a used Deus this morning, So looking forward to seeing what the Deus can do so hopefully the learning curve doesn't get the best of me.

Thanks again and good luck with detecting old sites in the future,
Paul (Ca)
March 08, 2014 11:01PM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dang dude,Im 48 and no retirement in sight...Best
> of luck!!!

I hear ya Ray

I'm 50 and there's no end in sight

hell - I've gotta work harder now than ever in life just to try and make up for so much loss after the housing bust!

P.S.

Nice digs OldCalifornia!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2014 11:02PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
March 09, 2014 01:50AM
Notice I said Hopefully!

But I will have 31 years on my Job and 31 plus 49 Equals 80...

some times a government Job has its Perk's..

Hey Paul...Thanks for the info..

Also I would love to hunt out your way sometime a Ghost town in the desert region is high on my list...I watch those episodes of Gunsmoke and am just drone to the era...

And those miner 49er camp's would have to be a blast. True Americana finds to be made!!

I may take you up on that oneday.Same Goes for you on coming to Georgia!! Anytime we will hunt!!!

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 01:55AM by Keith Southern.