Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Does Garrett ever intend to release a top of the line unit or is the AT Pro considered Sufficient

Posted by goodmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The GTI 2500 is very long in the tooth. Is the AT Brand the only game in town for Garrett? I had two AT Pros. They do some things well. But they lack depth in my opinion. I was assuming some day we would see the AT Pro on steroids released as a top of the line unit. Garrett did release the ATX. I guess the AT Pro and Pro Pointers sell well enough to keep their arms busy raking in the cash. But the Pro Pointer has been kicked to the curb by the new Whites TRX in my opinion. That thing reaks of power and options.

Just wonderin!
Phffft!

lol

that's funny!

Garrett has never really had a "top of the line" machine imo

even back in 1998 when thy released the GTI 2500 there were others out there doing much more/better at the time (Whites was a top dog back then) as was Fisher

I bought one of those TV's on a stick way back when they were released but man was that thing clumsy, awkward and cumbersome! Also had a CZ6a and a CZ20 back in those days.

I sold it (the GTI) a yr or 2 later and then picked up another a couple yrs later just for using with the 2 box system (Blood Hound) and had that for a few yrs but I ran Fisher and ML and Whites for lake, beach and soil hunting.

One good thing I will say about the GTI 2500 is it actually does have a True all Metal (Static mode) - Garrett was good at releasing machines with that feature ;-)

It would be nice to see them get on top of their game at some point though!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 10:00PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
In the meantime they're raking in the cash. The low end detectors like the 250 and 350 keep them busy not to mention the At- Pro.
Hi,,,come on guys get a grip on reality Garrett is just as competitive as anyone in the U.S.....If the AT series would have been designed with better ergonomics it would probably be the top dog in the U.S. market by far....They priced it so it was affordable by most everyone and it performs as well as anything out there....It's even waterproof to boot... JJ
KUDO's to Brent Weaver and Vaughn Garrett for the 'inception/invention' of the AT-Pro............ as that was a generational leap in technological advancement for Garrett. I doubt they want to lose their fair share of the corporate pie.
I feel the AT PRO is as good as any machine made for in ground performance...

It might lag a tad on depth say compared to an a FBS but its right on the heels of the FT machine's...

It also has one of the most accurate I.D.'s I have seen even in iron its amazing how accurate it is in iron....

Im sure they will replace the aging 2500...

maybe a land only machine, Who knows maybe an AT-PRO Boosted? with some extra tools like iron volume, filter selection,larger I.D. screen..pistol grip...etc...I think that they are very much in tune wiht what it takes ot succeed ...

Ive said it before ...If all I had was an AT-PRO I would not feel out gunned on any hunt..the AT's have very intelligent audio..

I do hope thye give us a souped up machine..if they do it could be the world leader in depth and unmasking...SERIOUSLY!!!They are that good...

Keith
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The GTI 2500 is very long in the tooth. Is the AT
> Brand the only game in town for Garrett? I had two
> AT Pros. They do some things well. But they lack
> depth in my opinion. I was assuming some day we
> would see the AT Pro on steroids released as a top
> of the line unit. Garrett did release the ATX. I
> guess the AT Pro and Pro Pointers sell well enough
> to keep their arms busy raking in the cash. But
> the Pro Pointer has been kicked to the curb by the
> new Whites TRX in my opinion. That thing reaks of
> power and options.
>
> Just wonderin!

I had the Gold, Goodmore, which is just about the same thing as the Pro. Didn't care for it because...

I purchased it mainly for its ability to work in iron. On this, it's phenomenal! Super fast processor, and the Iron Audio feature was probably worth the cost of the machine alone. However...

Outside of heavy iron sites (which I maybe only have 2 or 3 of), I too found the performance subpar. No depth, VDI that was very inaccurate after a few inches, etc. I REALLY wanted to use the Gold as an efficient 'all around' unit, but, outside of being a super machine for plucking keepers in junk/iron, it's other uses were very limited, and I couldn't justify/make use of the machine with the few iron heavy sites I have. As Tom said...

I DO think that unit was a major breakthrough for Garrett. I've never been their biggest fan, aside from their pinpointer (which is awesome), however, compared with their prior flagship models (and I use that term quite loosely), the AT line keeps them in the game with intermediate & advanced detector users.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2014 03:10AM by njnydigger.
As for Garretts in general ---

If they'd build a unit that was ergonomic, didn't have a head on it the size of an old 19" color TV, is fast in recovery/separation, boosted, iron vol control, able to set tone breaks, adjustable threshold feature, combined/mixed static/disc mode with on/off, a back-light, let the user adjust the gain (pump it up or down) and make other adjustments to the machine to tweak it per site conditions PLUS make it waterproof

now you'd be talking

might cost a pretty penny but who cares - if it's a good machine with all the above - it's worth the asking price to a LOT of us

it doesn't have to be affordable to the "masses" in order to make a profit and make sales -- it will sell itself among the detecting world/people as word spreads how well it performs/etc.

The 250s, 350s and AT's of the world was/is target marketing to the "masses" - - many of which never picked up a machine before their invention/inception and still to this day that's how it is/who they target with those machines more than any one/thing

And I'm not knocking those machines - they're good for what they are/can do and how they operate/etc. for the price (heck - I've had a few myself but mainly for spares/backups)

but at the same time

what about the rest of us out here that want "the best of the best" -- machines with every feature/upgrade known to man and built with high quality materials that can take a beating yr after yr?? (You know - like the old CZ's and current ML's and whatnot) -- not some chintzy plastic made tonka toy that the 1st time you whack it on a rock or drop it by accident it cracks open/breaks like an eggshell or 3 months after using it in the water the freekin faceplate leaks and fries the motherboard out and there you are shipping it back to have it fixed only to get it back after a month of waiting JUST to have it all happen again (like mine did and many others have)!

Where's their TOP END unit as described above for us? Where have they been for nearing 20 yrs on that front??

Personally - as a serious and life long detectorist (35 yrs now) - I could care less about the "masses" (all these "wannabe/newbie detectorist") or what they want and in corporate target marketing to them/the masses for sheer greed/max profit

I'm in this for personal satisfaction as a life time hobbyist and don't care if whoever makes detectors is making a million dollars profit or 20 billion per yr

all I care about is if you have high quality machines that do the job at hand for **ME** and are they "the best/top end" or are they some "mass marketed" type machine for the masses to bring max profit to your company while not giving a crap about me/what I want & need in a machine?

We all see where Garrett stands on that front (at least with VLF tech)... Sure - they kept their PI guys happy for the last 10 yrs with new top end units -- why? Because they're a niche market all their own and they seen a way to capitalize on that...

So why don't they see where they could capitalize on the "Top End" VLF machines?? I'd sure like to know...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2014 06:33AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Michigan, I think you're 110% spot on in your assessments. To be fair though, the Gold wasn't half bad as a unit to help pick through iron. Dare I say, it was damn good. Outside of that though, didn't impress me much. I can't speak for others, only myself, and my thoughts on the AT line certainly wasn't comparing them to Minelab, Fisher or Whites, since they're nowhere near in class. Instead, I was giving Garrett credit for one-upping themselves & the lousy product they've put out over the past couple of decades. Compared to everyone else, yes, still light years behind the competition. However, up against what they've had, it could be considered groundbreaking technology, lol.

Let's face it, you're right, it's basically the entry level crowd they cater to & reap most of their profit from with the Ace line...for the most part. However, if someone has pretty tame/mild dirt and isn't too concerned with exceptional depth matters, the AT line could actually be decent machines.

I got mine after seeing Bill Ladd using his Gold at an old iron infested cellar hole. Peaked my interest. After trying it out on a few similar sites, I was impressed. But, as my main hunting machine? Wouldn't cut it. To me, Minelab & Fisher/First Texas seems to have the market cornered on top rate detectors. If you look at any of the forums or treasure rags, 90% of the killer finds are made using one of these two companies units. And if that ain't saying something, I don't know what else to say winking smiley

Joe
njnydigger Wrote:
> Michigan, I think you're 110% spot on in your
> assessments. To be fair though, the Gold wasn't
> half bad as a unit to help pick through iron. Dare
> I say, it was damn good. Outside of that though,
> didn't impress me much. I can't speak for others,
> only myself, and my thoughts on the AT line
> certainly wasn't comparing them to Minelab, Fisher
> or Whites, since they're nowhere near in class.
> Instead, I was giving Garrett credit for
> one-upping themselves & the lousy product they've
> put out over the past couple of decades. Compared
> to everyone else, yes, still light years behind
> the competition. However, up against what they've
> had, it could be considered groundbreaking
> technology, lol.
>
> Let's face it, you're right, it's basically the
> entry level crowd they cater to & reap most of
> their profit from with the Ace line...for the most
> part. However, if someone has pretty tame/mild
> dirt and isn't too concerned with exceptional
> depth matters, the AT line could actually be
> decent machines.
>
> I got mine after seeing Bill Ladd using his Gold
> at an old iron infested cellar hole. Peaked my
> interest. After trying it out on a few similar
> sites, I was impressed. But, as my main hunting
> machine? Wouldn't cut it. To me, Minelab &
> Fisher/First Texas seems to have the market
> cornered on top rate detectors. If you look at any
> of the forums or treasure rags, 90% of the killer
> finds are made using one of these two companies
> units. And if that ain't saying something, I don't
> know what else to say winking smiley
>
> Joe

Right on Joe!

Don't forget the XP line though!
Have to admit Garrets are a different animal and seem to excel in specific areas. For those that don't know GTI 2500 may be the deepest around in all metal with a dead on ID.
Have a 13 inch Barber dime which is probably the deepest silver dime I ever dug even though the unit is heavy and boxy. GTA 1000 got me the a gold bracelet big enough for a Gorilla and the the GTAx500 got me the largest college ring I ever dug so they do work and although they do lack the depth of many Garrett is doing quite well and are the favorites of many. They seem to dance to the tune of another drummer compared to many but are doing quite well and indeed may have a new unit in the works and we will just have to wait and see. I will say they may be the most bang for the bucks as they cost a fraction of what some other companies units do. Certainly don't hear much about them on this forum but over the years Garrett has sold a bunch and will continue dancing to their own beat and being profitable.
I agree with Keiths answer, I'd take a Pro or a Gold over any machine out there due to their versatility !!
If the AT was 1500.00 or more..Many folks on here and all over would feel then...They had the best of the best........So far Garrett is one of the best out there for friendly pricing........no wonder some of the detector companies rake us over the coals.....We pretty much price the machines for ourselves on the forums...making comments like (I'd pay 2500.00 for it if it could do this)...WOOOOOW!!!!..I sure don't see the ML 3030 tearing anything up..other than people's wallet's.....They could have took 80% of that machine's price and bought more silver than what they are going to find in the next 10 years....personally I feel all the machines are over priced for what they are....
Well,Ive heard Keith saying to run the pro in Iron audio...couldnt stand the loud grumble at first...gave it another shot and was very impressed with the way vonductors would bleed through. My son uses the AT as his goto machine,and since he started using the iron audio,he has been making some great finds. My only wishes are....give me the ability to crank up the gain to unstable... iron volume adjustable... be able to run in true all metal with threshold...get rid of the other settings that make it into a ace...better balance
Ray it sounds like you need to look at the AT-Gold with true all metal with threshold adjustment. I had the AT-Pro and got the Gold later and the Pro ended up staying in the closet all the time so I sold it.
The AT series is very good at a few things. Target seperation is one of them. The Bill Ladd video at that cellar hole is probably one of the best videos out there showing what any detector can do. The audio is indeed top notch. But I was expecting an AT detector on steroids to replace the aging 2500. Aging? I mean ancient. It isn't that the AT series isn't worth the money. It just seems to me that Garrett has sold out on VLF detectors. The Huffy Bike maker that sells all the their bikes to Walmart type of business. They are making money, but the hardcore detector guy out there wants more. How about that 1500.00 AT super detector? Maybe it will give the CTX a run for it's money. Competition is good for all of us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2014 09:21PM by goodmore.
With the amount of Ace250's sold world wide I'm sure they have enough in the kitty to take some major steps forward in technology, I for one is looking forward to there next field machine.
Hi,,,I would tear ya all up with my little Compadre....I even sweat silver dollars...LoL...Don't believe everything you see or hear....It's all about the all mighty dollar....I have seen numerous guys jump the fence and promote whatever or whoever is paying the most at the time....It's sad but true and leaves me blue....JJ
goodmore Wrote:
> The AT series is very good at a few things. Target
> seperation is one of them. The Bill Ladd video at
> that cellar hole is probably one of the best
> videos out there showing what any detector can do.
> The audio is indeed top notch. But I was expecting
> an AT detector on steroids to replace the aging
> 2500. Aging? I mean ancient. It isn't that the AT
> series isn't worth the money. It just seems to me
> that Garrett has sold out on VLF detectors. The
> Huffy Bike maker that sells all the their bikes to
> Walmart type of business. They are making money,
> but the hardcore detector guy out there wants
> more. How about that 1500.00 AT super detector?
> Maybe it will give the CTX a run for it's money.
> Competition is good for all of us.

Exactly!

Someone that gets it/understands what I'm talking about!

A replacement for the GTI 2500 is at least 15 yrs overdue!
I liked your first remark Michigan...

When you asked if we were smoking dope..lol

keith
Keith Southern Wrote:
> I liked your first remark Michigan...
>
> When you asked if we were smoking dope..lol
>
> keith

Lol

hey - I know I can be obnoxious sometimes in my replies - I just call em like I see em!

I didn't mean any harm/offense to anyone :-)
I was reading it and eating some tortilla chips....I laughed so hard I shot chips out of my mouth ...then I had to vacuum...

It caught me unexpected....Of course I have a Great sense of humor.

Keith
I've been using the AT Pro since 2011 and I'm quite fond of it.

Certainly there's room for improvement and I would think the folks at Garrett could do so without any major revisions to the AT platform. The things Keith stated above would all be solid improvements. Iron volume, larger screen, available backlight, etc. Simply increasing the sensitivity would be a good start, I very seldom have to back off a full seven bars anywhere I detect.

The AT Pro is not the deepest detector out there, but I've found depth to be good and its strength as far as I'm concerned is in the audio. Intelligent AND intuitive.

As good as Garrett is at marketing, I'm surprised they've conceded the upper priced end of the VLF market for so long. The 2500 is waaaaay past its expiration date as a top-of-the-line detector.
I believe the sales bell-curve on the GTI series...... is nearing bottom.

As far as the AT-Pro......... if the only thing Garrett/Brent Weaver changed was.... adding more depth.......... we could live with all other features 'as is'.
Agreed, Tom. More depth would be the #1 improvement they could make. You would know a lot more about this than me, but I would think they could do that fairly easily considering how solid the stability is running wide open.

I have no insight at all into sales numbers, and I'm not sure which GTI/GTA units Garrett still sells, but I would imagine the sales to be close to non-existent.

It wasn't that long ago that ol' Charlie was writing in the Garrett catalog about not having to "change horses" i.e. switch to another brand as detecting skills improved because Garrett had detectors at all price points for different needs. Even though the 2500 is still technically their top-of-the-line detector, they don't market it that way. In fact, I don't think they've marketed it at all for a while now. The 2014 calendar is all Charlie photos dating back to the early days of the company, but with the 2013 calendar every detector was an AT, except a couple months that were Aces.

I'm sure the void at the top end is not unnoticed down in Garland.
if it isnt to much to ask, I would like him/them to add a backlight.... smiling smiley

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I believe the sales bell-curve on the GTI
> series...... is nearing bottom.
>
> As far as the AT-Pro......... if the only thing
> Garrett/Brent Weaver changed was.... adding more
> depth.......... we could live with all other
> features 'as is'.