Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First official Deus hunt, Almost straight from box to site.

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First official Deus hunt, Almost straight from box to site.
March 16, 2014 05:18AM
Well, Almost with the exception of indoor air testing and back yard coin/square nail testing took the Deus for it's maiden voyage today.

Right away when the Deus coil hit old dirt knew right then and there it was going to be my future relic machine, When I switched to the larger coil somehow couldn't get the controller to kick in so ran with the wireless headset and larger coil only with controller off. The issue was not the machine it is me not being up to speed with it's main functions which is why I couldn't get the controller to operate with the larger coil, that's ok was like running the XP GoldMaxx Power with no ID only it was the Deus.

Ran myself ragged today and with the larger coil that didn't help, So switched back to the 9" coil and finished up the day with target ID again finding a few more keepers. A few more flat buttons, 2 ball buttons, Couple more Coscohos and one particular find was a Phoenix button, The other cool find was a tooth well a non-metal cap/crown of some sort. What's strange is what the heck is a crown/cap doing at such an old site? Did they make crowns/caps 160-200 years ago?

Thanks for looking,
Paul (Ca)

Re: First official Deus hunt, Almost straight from box to site.
March 16, 2014 05:20AM
Nice!

You're gonna love that machine ;-)
March 16, 2014 11:57AM
Dug this up----- Their use in dentistry dates as far back as 1889 when Charles H. Land patented the all-porcelain “jacket” crown. This new type of ceramic crown was introduced in 1900s. The procedure consisted of rebuilding the missing tooth with a porcelain.
Nice finds Paul.
March 16, 2014 03:09PM
Thanks MichiganRelic hunter,

Already see the Deus as a serious machine for my types of hunting, Gold Jewelry and Relic hunting maybe others as I get more familiar with the Deus. Took to the Deus right away coming off the GMP both are very similar performance wise, Audio is the same when using the Deus Fast 3-tone setup.

Like the GMP, Sort of prefer the 9" coil for my type of hunting although the larger coil did detect deeper but the little extra weight kind of gets to you hunting on unleveled ground such as a plowed field and such. The 9" coil can maneuver in/out of tighter places and much easier for the old arm as well. So with the larger coil may use it for level ground ball fields and such or an old relic site with smooth terrain, Otherwise the 9" stays on.

Thanks again,
Paul (Ca)
March 16, 2014 03:14PM
Thanks ozzie!

Appreciate you finding this on the internet, I tried and didn't come up with anything with old crowns/caps.

Cool! Ok so the site dates later than I had figured, Funny thing is no coins or relics from this era are surfacing. Maybe on future hunts may see later seated earlier barbers and v-nickels then?

Still, I like the all-porcelain “jacket” crown fine that was a surprise for sure!

Thanks again ozzie!
Paul (Ca)
March 16, 2014 03:37PM
Hi Paul, Nice finds! Can you tell us what the purpose of the Coscohos is/was? Tried looking it up but not having much luck.

Thanks,
Chad
March 16, 2014 04:31PM
Thanks Chad,

I asked that same question on the Coscohos on a California forum two weeks ago, A well respected forum member who has found many of these here in California and knows allot of the history on mission era finds said it is used on the bottom of Spanish horse saddles.

He posted an old picture of a Spaniard riding his horse with the Coscohos strung across the entire bottom of saddle, I don't have that picture but do have a book and attached a couple to give you an idea.

Hope the pic shows,

Thanks again,
Paul (Ca)

March 18, 2014 03:32AM
Thanks for the info Paul, good luck with the Deus!
March 18, 2014 04:24AM
Hey, those where the original dingleballs! Now its fuzzy dice from their lowriders,lol.
March 18, 2014 09:27AM
We don't need no stinking badges, we got Coscohos....gringo. (roll the 'r')
March 18, 2014 03:26PM
March 18, 2014 04:00PM
Thanks el for posting the pictures with the slimlar type Coscohos,

Chad, these are were the Coscohos were attached too the ones we're finding are of early Spanish era type.

Thanks again el, let's make the next hunt a CZ-3D day smiling smiley
March 19, 2014 08:34AM
I don't think I've ever found one of those

must be a western/mexico thing?

and I agree OC - that machine will tear it up on relics in the iron/scrap

I have one too and love it :-)

I use the 9" coil

HH
March 19, 2014 04:34PM
Hello MichiganRelicHunter,

Yes, These are found on the West Coast of California and image maybe even Texas being so close allot of Spanish activity back then in these areas.

I'm with you, Feel the 9" coil on both the Deus and GMP are the best for all types of hunting. Although the 11" is light just feels heavy after a while so my main coil is the 9" with both the GMP and Deus, But now leaning more to the Deus more so than the GMP both great relic machines but the Deus may have an edge.

All the best,
paul (Ca)
March 19, 2014 09:05PM
Nice digs Paul..

I like that Phoenix button...

those Coscohos are unique...but man what a waste of brass......

To bad the Confederates did not have that much excess brass here in the South LOL!!

Thank's for the pic's

Keith
March 20, 2014 10:50PM
Regiment identifier. Copied from Paul's picture.

March 23, 2014 03:50PM
Thanks El for posting the Phoenix button Regiment list, Pretty cool these buttons are assigned a number which corresponds to an assigned Regiment.

Appreciate you doing this, See you soon smiling smiley
Paul (Ca)
March 23, 2014 03:56PM
Thanks Keith,

I don't know if you've tried the Deus but have to say it's pretty darn fast just like the XP GoldMaxx Power, Can be setup to be a little faster than the GoldMaxx but only if the site allows this faster recovery speed can go against the user if using it in cleaner areas.

The Phoenix buttons are always a treat to find, Button Digger back east has found several and he knew what they were each having an assigned Regiment. So that was a surprise to find out George new about them, Hope to find more always neat to see when they do surface.

Take care,
Paul (Ca)
March 26, 2014 02:19PM
Amazing finds. I

I'Am still saving for my Deus. Good luck with .
Corey