Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got my CZ-3D Mod running again,

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Got my CZ-3D Mod running again,
March 17, 2014 04:02PM
Finally got my CZ-3D running again, Took a fall about a year back breaking the shaft at a weak point due to a mod and the upper meter housing bracket broke as well. Replaced the shaft but this time around didn't run so much cable inside the shaft only limited enough wire for the (pinpoint button-Analog meter & Ground balance pot), The remainder features are back on the rear side of the CZ-3D housing. Also replaced the meter housing with a different type kind of close to a Whites meter housing but stronger and mounts to the upper handle allot easier and appears to be stronger.

Before, With so much wire running inside the shaft the hole had to be big enough to run all the wire inside not knowing this actually weakened the shaft at this point. Well that hard fall last year coming off that hill really did some damage, Now she's built like a tank!

For those that want to compete the same type mod, The upper meter panel is off a CZ-6-QuickSilver and works great allowing you to keep the CZ-3D panel in the rear. The CZ-6-QuickSilver Analog meter and Pinpoint button can be used but recommend you use the original CZ-3D Ground Balance pot it appears to be different, And make sure you carry over the ground to the GB pot as all pots on the CZ-3D are grounded. May not make a difference but the CZ-3D has the pots grounded for a reason maybe reduce EMI?

Anyway, So glad got my CZ-3D going again, Was trying to have it ready for this last relic hunt but missed the deadline poor 3D wasn't ready. However, She will be at the next relic hunt that's for sure!

Thanks for looking,
Paul (Ca)

Re: Got my CZ-3D Mod running again,
March 17, 2014 06:20PM
WOW! What a mod. I'm curious, how is the balance now VS. before (I've never swung a CZ but long an admirer.)
March 17, 2014 06:49PM
Looks great Paul.
March 17, 2014 08:02PM
Very creative indeed....Analog CZ's are not well weighted and the mod seems to adjust the weighting and ergonomics.

Hope you are handy with a solder iron and tools as it appears one would have to be quite handy to perform this mod.

Sort of a CZ in an XLT form and remember if you can find a nice CZ7 or 7A which are rod mounts only it would save a lot of modding.

In any case tip of the hat for a nice mod my friend....
March 17, 2014 08:12PM
Pretty slick there OC.
March 17, 2014 08:14PM
Hi Paul,,the mod looks good, it should make the 3D more enjoyable to use do to the weight distribution....I done mine a couple of years ago and never looked back...Your mod is pretty complex and probably not for the average Joe to do....I know that using good shielded wire is a must in doing this mod...Thanks for sharing....JJ
March 17, 2014 08:26PM
Paul's the man when it comes to mods. I wish I had 1/100th of the ability he has on doing these things !!!!!
March 17, 2014 09:32PM
Very nice indeed ;-)

Looks sorta like an xlt-sov-cz combined!
March 18, 2014 12:56AM
Thanks earthmaster, The balance is a little easier on the arm now that most of the weight is underneath the arm-rest. However, With the mod it is heavier but not noticeable the extra weight comes from the upper meter housing and CZ-6-A meter panel and the added stand underneath the rear housing.

Thanks El! Let's make it a CZ-3D day next time we get together, See you within 2-4 weeks smiling smiley

Thanks ozzie! Glad was able to get her back together again smiling smiley

Thanks Dan-Pa. Almost went with an S-handle on this second time around but went with a same like Compass Shaft which are light and thin as a rail smiling smiley

Thanks JJ, Yes went with a shielded cable with 8 strands of wire this allowed less cable inside the thin shaft, That was the downfall on the last mod too much wire to exit out of the drilled hole so the hole was too big for this thin shaft causing the shaft to break at this weak point. So with the 8-wire shielded cable this was enough too solder onto the CZ-3D GB pot, Pin-Point button and analog meter.

Thanks John! It's a joy to work on these when time allows kind of a peaceful way to forget about the pressures of life and such, But then again when a mod goes south that can be a nightmare ruining an expensive piece of equipment smiling smiley

Thanks Michigan RH, It sure does look like mixture of an XLT-Sov-CZ that's for sure smiling smiley

Thanks again everyone,
Paul (Ca)
March 20, 2014 02:22PM
If you ever want to sell I AM interested.....very neat looking....