Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Went to the Iron Patch today.....

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Went to the Iron Patch today.....
March 30, 2014 11:26PM
I went to an area that I have always taken new detectors or coils to try out. It is loaded with iron. I had the CTX 3030 and the 6" coil.
I setup the detector in "combined mode, open screen, except for the two bottom lines, Sensitivity set to manual 26, I also set the nickel window to high tone same as the silver.
I hit a sweet high tone , depth reading was 7". but when I would read at 90 degrees , it would only high tone in one direction of the coil.
I was only finding coins in the 60's and 70's so I decided to dig it. At around 6 or 7 inches I pulled out a very crusty 1902 V nickel.

The 6" coil has pretty good depth but it takes a long time to cover just a small area. When in iron, you have to really work to pull the good targets out. I did dig several
hunks of aluminum that were hitting in the nickel range as well.
but overall I am please with the small coil.

On another note: I noticed that the smaller coil causes the CTX to be unbalanced. This became tiring to swing after a while. I will look next time at adjusting the
arm cuff for a better balance.

Tom in SC
Re: Went to the Iron Patch today.....
March 30, 2014 11:42PM
Way to work it, T.
March 30, 2014 11:50PM
Nice Job. Picking through iron with a great detector sounds fun to me. I can't wait for the rain to stop.

One way target? I might have to think about digging some of them.
March 31, 2014 12:11AM
Hi,,, hey congratulations on the V nickel....It makes you wonder how many coils have actually been over that nickel before.....So the lighter coil changed the balance point and now it wants to do a wheelie..LoL....JJ
March 31, 2014 12:41AM
WTG Tom!
I wish I would have brought the CTX today (or your GMP) instead of the 3D to the old park,,,waaaay to much falsing from nails.

I've got to get the CTX w the settings you guys have been using.

Aaron
March 31, 2014 02:32AM
Cool find Tman
March 31, 2014 11:15AM
Nice Nick.

Yea the 6" coil is a little lite and makes the machine handle different for sure. Have to grip the handle to much which causes my hand to go to sleep so i made a slight mod.

First tried extending the shaft to the max but did not help a lot.

I cut a piece of plastic from a cheap walmart cutting board ( sold in the hunting fishing dept ) thats about 1/8 inch thick and epoxied it to the coil cover. The piece is just a tad larger than the coil cover for protection.I also beveled the edge so that it slides nicely over ground,grass and sticks. Still not enough weigh so i filled between the spokes of the coil with clear slicone. The balance is near perfect and i still keep the shaft fully extended. You can stick it in and around obstacles and not worry about hitting the sides of the coil on things and the sweep radius and control is greatly improved.

After i finished i sort of wished i had put vasiline on the plastic cover between the spokes before i added the silicone to make it easier to get off if ever need be. I also ran a bead of the silicone around the edge of the coil cover to keep out debries and dirt hoping there will be no need to remove for cleaning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2014 11:23AM by Pac man.
March 31, 2014 02:04PM
thats a cool you snuffed that one out
March 31, 2014 05:09PM
Nice job pulling the V out of the iron. I bet there is another old nickel in that patch.
GL HH
Corey
March 31, 2014 10:39PM
Sounds like a good location to hone your skills.

Congrats on the V-nickel.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
April 02, 2014 04:53PM
Good job Tom!

The 3030 is one mean machine, Glad to see you're starting off well with it and adjusting to the unit.

Congrats!
paul
April 02, 2014 11:14PM
Nice v nickle!!

Keith