Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's up with that CZ?

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What's up with that CZ?
April 02, 2014 01:24AM
It's not supposed to do that. It's not supposed to hunt in trash very well...with the 10.5 inch coil no less. The dang thing keeps on surprising me.

I got out today, finally. Thought I deserved a day out,,, been working hard trying to rebuild the veggie garden since a giant oak demolished it..the raised beds, fence and trellis.

I decided to go to the place I pulled out that 1/2 reale with the cz before winter, and hunt the fields. The 1700's boarded up stone house beckoned me to hit the little front yard. It's been hit before, by me and many others. I was there a week or so ago with the 5" on the f-75 and my buddy had the 3030 with the 6" coil. We went over every square foot of that postage stamp size front yard. I think I'm wasting my time here because there is big and small iron and junk through the ages, under the grass.

I'm in deep concentration listening to the falses and iron grunts. 'TINK' massage massage, grunt, 'mid tone BLURP, pinpoint, BLURP, BLURP, I dig down about 6" and pull out a flat button about dime size...how the hell did we miss this before? And everybody else missed it too...hmm. Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy boy. A few minutes later same thing, high tone (louder) TINK, massage, grunt grunt, TINK, PP, TINK, TINK, change direction, TINK. I dig only 3" and out comes a 1803 draped bust half cent, what the!! This cz isn't supposed to do this in all this junk, I'm still shaking my head. The coin is in pretty good shape considering.

I can read the date and see Miss Liberty but there is a hole punched dead center. My wife texts me as I'm looking at the coin, asking who my electrician is. As I'm sending her his number, up pulls a Ranger. Behind him a HVAC van is following.

He gets out as I'm putting away my phone and asks me if I have a letter. I said I never got a written permission letter, I was given permission verbally by the woman in the State Park office. He said didn't you get my correspondence in your e-mail. I'm looking at him confused and said sir, I've never met you before. Do I need to go to the office and get a letter for permission? He said no you don't have to but you can't detect around this house.

I said why is that? He said somebody lives here. I said someone lives here?, it's boarded up. He says, well someone is going to rent the place soon. Oh, ok , hmm.

How close can I detect to the house I said? He said you can hunt on the other side (pointing to an out bldg) of that building and all around the old barn (pile of rubble) and most anywhere in the park except occupied houses. I thought to myself 'no da", and said ok thanks. The house is in no shape to be rented, it needs a lot of work.

Most rangers are ok guys and gals. This one seemed a little squirrely. The lie about how someone lives here and then changing his story....just tell me straight up, I wont cry...sheesh.

Anyway, nothing worth mentioning near the barn or in the field...but it was a good day... not including the loss of a good spot to hunt.
Re: What's up with that CZ?
April 02, 2014 01:34AM
Nothing wrong with the CZ as old technology at its finest.

Being a retired cop I can tell you like everything always that 10 percent....as I worked with some hard heads and in life good and bad and may you only meet the good...

PS: had it out with rangers,small town cops, caretakers, busybodies and the like so been on both sides of the coin....and yes met a lot of nice ones along the way also....
April 02, 2014 02:09AM
Ozzie what were doin w that CZ and 10" coil in a junky area?

Congrats on the sweet half cent and button

Aaron
April 02, 2014 02:13AM
Aaron, It wasn't my intention. I was going past the house to hit the big field...I couldn't help my self.
April 02, 2014 02:16AM
The 10.5 coil as an uncanny ability to hit coins on edge. Wonder if the button and half cent were one edge.

Nice digging Ozzie and way to think out of the box putting on the 10.5 to hunt in the trash. Now I gotta take the 6a and 10.5 out for a spin !!!
April 02, 2014 04:12AM
therover61 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 10.5 coil as an uncanny ability to hit coins
> on edge. Wonder if the button and half cent were
> one edge.
>
> Nice digging Ozzie and way to think out of the box
> putting on the 10.5 to hunt in the trash. Now I
> gotta take the 6a and 10.5 out for a spin !!!

LoL

can't hurt!

And nice finds Ozzie :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2014 04:13AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
April 03, 2014 12:35AM
I wrote about just exactly this phenomenon. I'm trying to remember if it was an article..... or forum post.
Coil Size Myths???
Wrap-around effect???

Trying to remember.
April 03, 2014 03:03AM
Wrong post please excuse!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2014 03:03PM by rapidroy7.
April 03, 2014 11:09AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wrote about just exactly this phenomenon. I'm
> trying to remember if it was an article..... or
> forum post.
> Coil Size Myths???
> Wrap-around effect???
>
> Trying to remember.

I'd like to re-read them. Did a search and they didn't come up.

I am still puzzled on how the cz w/ large coil hit those targets around all those scraps. Literally, I'm beside myself. I have come across this before, same cz, but dismissed it thinking that I got lucky by accidentally finding a coin in the same hole with iron...just dumb luck so to speak.

I've tested the unit in a similar scenario (or thought I did with target placement) and it didn't fair well, even with the 4" coil.

I truly have to hand it to you guys (Tom D, Keith and others) that have the patience to do test after test, changing settings, changing target placement, swapping out coils...spending thousands of hours, testing, taking notes, filming...you have my deepest respect. I have to rely on you guys in this area. I don't have what it takes to accomplish that undertaking. I have gone to the extent of building a test garden and in the field, over the years, I learn subconsciously in hopes I can recall the little bits of information.
I read the articles of guys I believe, know what they are doing, especially if it parallels the little conclusions I experience.

Again, my hats off to you guys............... Good thing it isn't up to me to advance mankind in any way....we'd still be dragging women around by the hair.
April 03, 2014 11:16AM
The articles are on the home-page of this web-site. Left-hand column. "Article Archives" and "Fisher Intelligence".
April 03, 2014 11:40AM
....we'd still be dragging women around by the hair.

The roles have reversed.
April 03, 2014 01:26PM
Yes Tom, I have read those wonderful articles over and over through the years......reason for the praise three post up.
April 03, 2014 03:53PM
When you get really good with a CZ and in running it wide open/no disc

you can pick good targets out of the iron/trash the same as you can with any other machine

you just gotta work a LOT s l o w e r than with many of the machines of today

I pulled 3 Injuns and 2 buffs from a trash filled park last spring with my 6a (all at approx. 7 inches deep) and they were all in a heap of garbage/iron that had the machine going nuts

you can't find a piece of silver to save your life in that park but most guys miss the deep/er Injuns, V's & Buffs (especially when mixed in junk).
April 03, 2014 04:34PM
My CZ3D is a NICKEL KILLER!

There's a spot in a very park of mine that is nothing but pulltabs, beavers and sqtabs. Even though there's alot of iron there I have combed the area 99% free of nickels including everything from Vs to current. I watched other hunters go to this same spot and give up quick. I still believe there's a gold coin in this spot waiting to be found...

Only problem is lots of old iron here too, which isn't conducive for the CZ, I may have taken it as far as can go at this site.

Enter the GMP/DEUS/CTX

Aaron