Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab explorer se and Nel tornado coil vs Uliimate 13" coil

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Minelab explorer se and Nel tornado coil vs Uliimate 13" coil
April 05, 2014 08:21PM
Thinking of trying the Nel Tornado coil on my Minelab se. Want to know if this is a good coil to get extra depth over the standard Minelab coil and how does it stand up to the Ultimate 13" coil? The Tornado and Ultimate coil appear to be the same in size and shape. Please let me know what you all think. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2014 08:23PM by Mccrorysjewelry2.
Re: Minelab explorer se and Nel tornado coil vs Uliimate 13" coil
April 06, 2014 03:35AM
I have alwasy had the most respect for the DeTech coils..

there SEF's are very cutting edge in size Vs separation...

Now i dont ahve a Ultimate for a Explorer but I do have an ultimate..

and for the size its is really light weight..

Now on the NELS I have had and used a few of the smaller sizes...and built as well as the DeTechs for sure.. and are cheaper to boot...

BUT I have a slight FEELING the DeTechs are better separators and the NELS have a slight depth advantage by design..

Now If I wanted decent dpeth gai overs tock coil on the Explorer and separation at depth and could handle more weight the 10x12 S.E.F. is a no brainer for me...Ive seen what it will do first hand at depth in iron trash and pulling goodie's..

I dont feel the ultimate is as tight as the 10x12 S.E.F.. ..and it may not be any tighter than the tornado you are asking about from NEL.But maybe it is slightly with a slight depth gain to the NEL..but more than likely they will be real close..not sure about the weight difference but do Know the ultimate is light for its size..

But I do Know a NEL 9.5 x5.5 is nto as tight as the FT counterpart...but is slightly deeper..Same for the 5 incher's...

so do you want depth or depth and separation..

I would probably think either one you choose would not do dual duty as well as the 10x12 S.E.F.

All my take..

Keith
April 06, 2014 03:55AM
Thank you Keith for that info. I do own a nel coil but have yet to try it on my explorer. I am just looking to get the most depth I can from my explorer se so I can go back to a lot of my old hunting spots in the hopes of finding some deeper older coins. So you think the 10x12 S.E.F will go deeper than the nel? How do you think the 10.5" coil on the cz-3d will do up against the nel or sef coil on the explorer on depth? Thanks
April 06, 2014 04:09AM
I dont think the SEF 10x12 would go any deeper than the NEL tornado but it would separate at depth better if that makes sense...the SEF is a very unique coil...very tight for size..

as for the last comparison I would not be the person to ask about that...Im not a CZ guy so to speak..

but on the CZ when suing one here and there I did not notice a lot more depth witht he 10.5 over the 8...

In my dirt I would say the 10.5 Vs a large Explorer coil you would see an advantage in the Explorer set up for depth..

all my take..

Keith
April 06, 2014 12:21PM
The bigger the (concentric) coil..... the LESS depth capabilities...... in bad/mineralized dirt! (In general).
April 06, 2014 03:52PM
Thank you both for that info. For hunting those deeper old coins in older spots and old parks, which detector will give me the best results and what size coil should I use on both based on the 2 detectors I own? I'm always hearing about how deep the cz-3d will go in older areas. I'm just wondering how it would standup to my explorer se with a bigger coil. Tom and Keith please give me your professional opinions. If anyone else would care to give a opinion I would greatly appreciate the info. Thanks
April 07, 2014 01:48AM
I do not now your dirt. (Mineralization type & level). BUT...... I would speculate that the stock 10.5" coil on the Minelab..... and the 8" coil on the CZ would be neck-n-neck.
April 07, 2014 09:07AM
My two cents. I run an Etrac and the Ultimate is my standard coil these days. Many folks who have used lots of coils give the same report. It seems like the depth and separation are neck and neck with the SEF but the Ultimate gives better audio. It particularly likes copper and silver. It just comes through clearer and louder on deep targets. Not parting with mine!
April 07, 2014 05:41PM
Hello Tom, So what is the main purpose of the 10.5'' coil if it isn't to give the cz more depth? Does it give it less depth? Is it just for covering more area in a non-trashy area? How would the 5" coil compare to the 8" coil depth wise? I know the 5" is for trashier spots but, what about depth? Thanks
April 07, 2014 07:13PM
FWIW -- I agree with sailorman with respect to his take on the Ultimate coil. I've had it on my machine since I got it a couple of months ago, and haven't taken it off. Good depth, super separation for such a large coil, and it DOES enhance the audio on deeper targets -- targets that might still be located with another coil, but not as distinctly, sound REALLY good with the Ultimate...

Steve
Re: Minelab explorer se and Nel tornado coil vs Ultimate 13" coil
April 07, 2014 07:52PM
Thanks sailorman and Steveg for that info. Have you ever tried the Nel coil to compare it to the Ultimate 13" coil?
April 08, 2014 12:16AM
Here's a guy who's run every coil imaginable on the platform talking about the Ultimate. He runs an Explorer. On my Etrac I find it separates on par with the stock coil, maybe a bit better. While I have never owned an SEF I have hunted around folks who use them. I found again, it seperated on par with them but caught the fringe targets with better audio.

[www.findmall.com]