Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cz3d Question

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Cz3d Question
February 20, 2010 09:19PM
There is too much snow on the ground for any inland detecting so my son and I decided to take a couple hour trip to the Jersy shore tomorrow. There is snow on the beach but not between the high/low tide line. Anyway, I need a sand scoop, so I went to my local MD store where I get my accessories. An old timer owns & operates the store & is a long time detectorist. While we were gabbing & swapping stories I noticed a Cz3d on the rack. He told me its an older one,never been used,never been owned...a first hand unit made in USA that he never sold.I looked at the cerial # and the first four numbers are 1021.Looked like it has an 8" coil on it. I read many positive posts about the unit on this forum.Does anyone know what that unit should sell for?
Re: Cz3d Question
February 20, 2010 09:37PM
Hi, Realistically it should sell for around $750.00 and not todays inflated price of $800.00 plus....Thanks.......JJ
February 20, 2010 09:42PM
Ozzie..I am heading to the NJ shore tomorrow as well. As always, will be taking my CZ6a. At some point I am going to take my 3D, but the elements are too crappy right now, and since the 6a is a little more durable for the salt beach hunts, that's what I use.

See my post about a minute ago about my 1021 3D. The machines are top notch.

Not sure what you are using now on the beach, but the CZ's can hold their own with ANY VLF unit.
February 20, 2010 11:26PM
Thanks for the input,
99% of the time I hunt inland for old coins, because of the snow I'm getting cabin fever, so we're heading to the beach. I use the F-75, my son is using an Explorer SE. Not sure what beach we're hitting tomorrow therover61, maybe will cross paths..let me know what you find. The tide is low at about 6am Sunday give or take. Can't change that so we're leaving at 4am.

The old timer wanted $900 for the un-used Cz3d 1021. Maybe that's why it's sitting on the rack. What year was that machine built, anyone know?
February 21, 2010 03:34AM
Ozzie,

$900 is too much. You can come across a used one for a lot less, but the older models like the 1021 serial numbers are getting harder to come by. That's why I jumped on Daves machine and he had the Sunray probe with it too boot.

I know low is early...leaving my house at 6:30. Even though I will be hunting incoming tide, I HAVE TO GET OUT ! Plus, a few beaches I have been hunting, I am finding some silver and older coins up high on the slopes so it should be fun. Heck, its going to be fun even if I don't find a thing since I will be hunting !

Let me know how you make out with the F75 in the wet sand. One reason I am holding off is there is not many reports of how it does on NJ beaches in the wet sand.

John
February 21, 2010 04:06AM
Hunted N.J. beaches for 10 years with a CZ and should work well..Might have to run it lower sens. than on land depending on what the waves brought in..Fellow is crazy asking that type of price and indeed thats why its still on the rack.. If hunting wet sand ground balance it in wet sand in salt mode..In dry sand might get away with regular mode on that CZ6A...will go deeper and be more conductive to gold jewelry..Find a silver coin mark the spot and hunt circles around it as where their is one is usually more and Merc. dimes are quite prevalent..Watch that foil segment as its the hot spot for gold rings..Last but not least GOOD LUCK...
February 21, 2010 12:54PM
Yes, that price is unreasonable to say the least. I just bought a used one in super shape for $525. I sent it to Tom and he had found that it was a very hot machine, just needed adjusting. He had air tested a dime at 12 inches with it! When I got it back from Tom,( thanks again!) I polished out the scratches on the meter window, replaced the foam on the arm cup and it looks like new. Yes I know, Im a perfectionist. I'm just chompin on the bit for the ground to thaw!
February 22, 2010 12:51PM
Ozzie,

That unit should be a 2004 (maybe as late as 2005) unit....and should be a good one. If it air-tests a dime at close to 12".....it's definately a good one........and they are hard to come by. The price does seem a bit steep.
February 23, 2010 04:35AM
John - therover61,
We went to Seaside Park where the beach is narrow and steep. They must comb it because there was very little metal trash.
I believe that New Jersy stays on top of beach erosion by pumping in or dumping sand on the beaches that need it.
We found a dozen pennys a couple of clad dimes, no jewelry.
I hunted the F-75 in all metal, 0 GB, frequency F7, threshold -2, sensivity 90 and it ran smooth in the salt water wet sand.

One thing was odd, maybe someone can explain..while swinging the wet sand I would get an audible and a vdi (number ranging from 20 to 50s). When pinpointing over the target the audio went blank, but all around the target it sounded off, so I dug the silent spot and always came up with a piece of what looked like thin chips of dime to quater size rust colored metal. Any other target in the wet sand would pinpoint normall. I stoped digging anything that pinpointed like that.

We took lunch and drove down to Barnegat Lighthouse, found some more clad and about 2 pounds of lead fishing sinkers. It was a beautiful clear day in the low 40's and we were glad to get out and spend some father/son time.
February 23, 2010 01:18PM
Ozzie,

Glad to hear you got out. I was a little farther North in Pt. Pleasant. Found the usual clad and junk and the dog from the game Monopoly ! It was pretty worn down and I did not know what it was until I showed my brother and he told me. Also found a small earring.

Was using my CZ6a hip mounted with the 8 inch coil . I can swing all day with that set up.

I think those small 'chips' you are seeing are similar to hot rocks. If they don't pin point it seems to me that is what they are. I see them on a lot the beaches and my CZ sounds off on them very slightly in all metal. In discriminate mode you don't hear them unless it's a really big one, and then the audio is bouncy and sounds crappy. . When you got a hit in all metal, did you switch to discriminate mode and see what it reads ?

I have found that some of my detectors ( the higher frequency, high gain machines) tend to sound off on those things. I remember one beach I was hunting that had them all over and rendered my X5 useless since it was banging hard on them. I did learn that you can sometimes ground balance them out but not sure what other targets would be lost when doing that. On that beach, I ended up using my PI which did not hit on those things at all.

So it seems the F75 can be worked in the wet sand to a degree. In reading some other posts, it was mentioned that the machine needs to be re-ground balanced every so often since changes in the salt/sand composition and other things can make the F75 a little unstable. Where you ground balancing often ?

John
February 23, 2010 11:57PM
Ferrous oxide flakes. On average, they are the diameter and thickness of a nickel. John , , you are exactly correct with your experiences and 'how-to' handle this problem. Much more sensitive to higher freq units. Grnd Bal can 'somewhat' tune them out.
February 24, 2010 01:54AM
No John I didn't switch to discrim mode to test over the flakes in the salt water (that I remember).

I did however, manually GB often and it was always zero in the wet sand/water...I remember thinking that zero wasn't low enough, it sounded as if it needed to go lower, but zero is it.

As I moved up to the dry sand it varied, some spots GB in the teens other areas as much as in the 70's. In the dry sand I often hunted in discrim mode set at 6, lower than that the f-75 was too chattery.

Tom, the flakes were half as thick as a dime and not easy to snap in two. I'm guessing the flakes are from ship hulls as there are shipping lanes nearbye. You can see them passing on the horizon. Also, when they they replenish the sand on some beaches they lay iron pipe (looks like iron) almost 2 ft. in diameter out to sea & pump the sand to the beach. The flakes could be pieces of the pipe...just a guess.
February 24, 2010 02:43AM
I find them scattered everywhere in Florida (East Coast).....and have yet to determine where they come from. Yes, looks like ship hull rust......but I'm beginning to think they are natural.
Re: Cz3d Question - FORSALE !
February 25, 2010 06:46AM
Let me know I've got a large collection of these Rust Pieces and they are available for the right price :-)

I find between 3 - 20 of these rust chips every time I'm on Ft. Lauderdale or Hollywood beach.