Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CTX Reliability

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CTX Reliability
June 02, 2014 08:39PM
I really like what I've read about the capabilities of the CTX. But when I track the user forum over on Find mall I find a lot of stuff about problems with this extremely expensive detector. As of the time of this posting I counted on the first page from the forum they were 30 threads not including stickies - of those 30 threads six where about different malfunctions experienced by users. That sure seems like a lot. I wonder if modern detectors are just more troublesome because the complexity or if something else is going on.

I would ask on that forum, but the last time I posted over there I got yelled at told that since I didn't post there regularly I probably should keep my mouth shut.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Re: CTX Reliability
June 02, 2014 08:50PM
Yeah, there seems to be an assortment of issues of late. I've had the CTX for several years - it works fine. No screen smears, the handle isn't separating, the screen isn't dead, no water leaks. But then I haven't dropped it or mistreated it either.
June 02, 2014 09:56PM
I have hundreds of hard use hours on mine since I got it first week of release with zero issues so far . I store it in my car trunk year round and do not baby it any at all . I think folks are just naturally more vocal about a problem than they are about smooth sailing as just human nature . Some just join a forum to post their issues even lol . The machine is a very complex cutting edge design and bound to be a few issues pop up as just the nature of the beast . Minelab has been good about taking care of any and all issues so far and that is a good thing just in case .........
June 02, 2014 10:24PM
It will be fascinating to see how it goes once the 3 year warranty periods start expiring. Most of the repairs I read about seem to be board-level replacements, and data from ML's gold detectors seems to indicate that these typically cost many hundreds of dollars when an out of warranty machine is involved.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 03, 2014 12:32AM
That's the main reason I got rid of the Etrac I had I loved the machine but was worried all the time if it had a malfunction how much it would cost to repair it or replace it.
June 03, 2014 09:27AM
The only machines I ever worry about breaking are my beach machines. The salt water environment is very rough on them. Rinse your machines with fresh water. Take care of them and they will take care of you.