Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A few hunts with the new V3i

Posted by docbars 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A few hunts with the new V3i
June 03, 2014 03:44AM
Hey guys:
Picked up a new V3i on the 17th of May and here are some of the finds. 1 park hunt,and a fairgrounds hunt yielded some modern silver and Buffalos(1914,1921)and plenty of clad. I took it to a field site before planting. I hunted in MixMode pro I sniffed out a Barber Dime and 2 IH's,some musket balls and other odds and ends. I then took it to a cellar hole site this past friday. I was using the relic mode. I found a nice flat button a 1843 LC.
The first interesting target was a silver Rosie from the fairgrounds hunt, gave a sold 78 in a left right direction then as I moved around the target I lost it. I was getting a iron sound. Checked the target analyzer and it had an upside down loop( target is on edge). The dime was on edge with 2 roofing nails in the hole about 3 inches deep. In the field and cellar hole sites I had to speed up the Recovery delay some, this helped in the dense iron. So far I have found out that this machine can handle hunting in iron ,it has a lot of power if you want to push it. Iam not sure if the D2 coil is as tight as the 11" on the F75. Still learning new things with it each time out but so far it has been fun.
Mix mode is really deep and I can see myself using this a lot in fields.
The arrowhead was laying right on top in the bean field that I was searching. Pretty cool find. Anyway here are some pics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 03:47AM by docbars.
Re: A few hunts with the new V3i
June 03, 2014 04:22AM
Cool digs!

Love the arrowhead :-)

Looks like a great place to hunt!
June 03, 2014 04:31AM
Nice finds, lots of old coins and relics...........congratz!
June 04, 2014 12:10AM
Thanks guys
June 04, 2014 01:02AM
How deep were the coins?
June 04, 2014 01:21AM
WTG DB

Super neat finds! That bean field should have more in there!

Congrats!

Paul
June 04, 2014 02:24AM
Already utilizing mixed mode, that's sweet! Nice finds btw, looks like some great places to hunt!
June 04, 2014 03:09AM
Looks like a good hunt. Looking at the pics of the area you're hunting, you might want to be very watchful of snakes in there. I've already de-headed two copperheads last week. My brother just did the same for a rattler today, and we rarely ever see a poisnous snake on our properties. Even seeing one if I were detecting would cause me to go elsewhere till it cooled down.

Take care....
June 04, 2014 02:40PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How deep were the coins?

Harold
In the bean field the 2 IH's and barber dime were in the 7 to 8 inch range. Length of shovel and then some . The large cent and the cellar hole site was no more then 3 inches. The modern silver and buffalos in the park and fairground site were average 3 to 5 inches. The one Rosie with the roofing nails was no more then 1.5 inches. Both buffalo nickels and a couple of whack were found in an area of a park that they were removing dirt.
Corey
June 04, 2014 02:45PM
connortn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like a good hunt. Looking at the pics of the
> area you're hunting, you might want to be very
> watchful of snakes in there. I've already
> de-headed two copperheads last week. My brother
> just did the same for a rattler today, and we
> rarely ever see a poisnous snake on our
> properties. Even seeing one if I were detecting
> would cause me to go elsewhere till it cooled
> down.
>
> Take care....

I try to keep a good eye out for the snakes. We have copperheads and now eastern timber rattlers. I ran into a rattler last year at an old school site in the woods. I kept hearing this sound and it finally dawned on me "Snake". ... It was curled up under a log about 10 feet from me. This is the first sighting of a rattler in my neck of the woods.
Corey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2014 11:11PM by docbars.
June 05, 2014 01:28PM
Watch for the varmits....Bending down a bite on the face or neck could be deadly, much more than a foot or leg bite.....
June 06, 2014 12:15AM
One thing I've noticed about rattlesnakes is that the older you get, you begin to loose your hearing and so it becomes harder to reconize the rattle sound they "sometimes" make. My son and I were walking in some woods and came across one that had evidently just shed it's skin as it was brighter in color than usual. It was laying in the path and was easy to spot. It didn't rattle until I attempted to dispense of it and noticed that even 2 or 3 ft. away it wasn't singing very loud. I mentioned it later and my son who was about 16 at the time said it was very loud and noticeable to him. I realized then that it was my loss of my hearing that caused the faintness of the sound. I would have probably heard it if I hadn't saw it first, but I may have been stepping on it by then!

I remembered where it was laying dead and on the return trip, when we were at the same spot, I ask my son to stop for a minute. I then asked him where he thought the snake was we had "taken care of". He looked around the area and said "It was somewhere about here, wasn't it?" I then pointed to the dead rattler right beside his foot. Sometimes a good scare helps one to remember :-)
Snakes
June 06, 2014 03:29AM
I grew up in the south eastern corner of Kentucky. Most of my summers were spent in the mountains digging bloodroot and ginseng with my dad and papaw. Snakes were common as diggin season for sang' was in late summer. I never had many issues with rattle snakes . Most of the time they would try to get away from us unless cornered, or startled, then they would at least let us know where they were. I say most of the time. Once in a while we would get the old ornery rattler, which quickly became a hat band or a belt... Now copperheads, on the other hand, I despise. I've almost stepped on many a copper head coiled and ready to strike... I kill every one of those rascals i run across. Probably one of the nice things about detecting in Michigan. No copperheads and even our timber rattler is very rare... Now if we only had Civil War battle sites...lol.