Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Protective tips on the GMP housing and tighten up the loose box.

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Protective tips on the GMP housing and tighten up the loose box.
June 11, 2014 05:30PM
Here are a couple of tips I've been using with the GMP, Guess one would apply to other types of detector for those wanting to protect the housing.

The GMP with the Deus shaft kind of has a loose feeling to the rear housing, It wiggles around kind of scary at times feels like it's going to snap off.

What I did was insert a piece of double sided tape underneath the arm-rest stand, What this did was add pressure between the arm-rest stand and upper housing portion. Will enclose a few pics, Very simple and takes away the wiggle or most of the wiggle.

Also, Due to relic hunting have scratched many a detector housing even as careful as we are somehow scratches seem to occur. What I did with the GMP was use a thin type of decal purchased this in a large roll believe from OSH Hardware, Measured the sized needed then trimmed out the neat sections. Can't hardly tell, Still maintains stock appearance and protects the detector housing.

P.S. Don't forget to shadow in the trimmed area with a black marker before sliding on the arm-rest bracket to the housing.

Hope all the pics show,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2014 05:31PM by Old California.
Re: Protective tips on the GMP housing and tighten up the loose box.
June 11, 2014 06:38PM
Hey Paul,

Thanks for sharing this information. On the black protective tape, can you give more information about this? Is OSH Hardware local or are they across the country. Is the black protective tape fairly easy removing (such as replacing after some use, etc.)

Thanks,

Ron
June 12, 2014 02:54AM
Nice mod.
Corey
June 12, 2014 06:21AM
Hello Ron and Corey,

The black protective tape comes in a large roll, Most hardware stores carry these and can be used for different types of uses. Crafts, Cover worn out panels and such great for many uses.

Give me a day or so to post a picture of the roll, From here you can ask your local hardware or crafts store. I use them for all sorts of projects and these can easily be removed with a simple cleaning mostly minor residue left on the surface.

Take care smiling smiley
Paul (Ca)
June 12, 2014 02:34PM
Hello Ron,

Here's a pic for the tape purchased from OSH, my local hardware store. It's 20" inches across can't remember how many yards in length just that it's a long roll, Plenty for lot's of projects.

Believe these can be purchased from a major crafts store, The price is right too.

Take care,
Paul (Ca)

June 12, 2014 04:09PM
That stuff could be very useful on a lot of things...thanks Paul.
June 14, 2014 03:05PM
Thanks ozzie,

This is great stuff, Just added a strip to the Blisstool lower half housing. Acts a protective barrier so far it's working great on a few other detectors of mine. After applying the skin, Rub out all the minor wrinkles.

When storing the peel and stick roll, Try keeping the roll from flexing or objects placed on top of the exposed roll this greatly helps eliminate wrinkles.

Take care,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2014 03:06PM by Old California.
June 14, 2014 06:31PM
Good info Paul..

weird design they have..

they need to reinforce the housing on the inside also where the coil connector is...it will cracked around the housing right there if you ever bump the box or hip mount for long periods of time..

Keith
June 15, 2014 05:31PM
Thanks Keith,

Think read somewhere some reinforcements were done to the control box or can be added as an upgrade for the older Bliss models?

Did get a rain cover which acts as protective padding, Been using this on both the GMP and Bliss v5 need to get another one so each have their own.

Thanks again for the tips, Will be extra careful with the Bliss,
Paul (Ca)

June 25, 2014 05:36PM
This is how I have mine set up. These are 8" Velco strips and I only used the orange so it would show better in the photo. I use the black
ones and they take up all the looseness of the control box to arm rest.

As a side note, my neighbor is an elderly woman and I get her mail for her. She told me of some property that she has and told me there is suppose to be money buried on the place from her Grandfather. She told me I could go look any time I wanted and if I found anything I was welcome to what I find. She said the house was built in the1890's to 1900's and the money is suppose to buried in a porcelain type chamber pot.

Last Friday, I went detecting and it was so humid and I was about to leave only finding odds and ends. I got a big signal and started digging it as it would be my last dig for the day. About 6" down, image my surprise when I started uncovering the lid to a metal, porcelain cover pot lid. When I removed the lid, right under it, there was another ceramic type lid to some sort of container. Both were flat to the ground. I thought this was unusual, and started removing this lid. By then my blood pressure and heart rate were up. You will not believe what I found when I removed the second lid.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!! LOL. Sure had me excited there for a few minutes.

Ron