Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Aquasport specs? Tom similar to Aqua Star ll ???

Posted by robocop 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Aquasport specs? Tom similar to Aqua Star ll ???
June 24, 2014 01:25AM
Does anyone have any info, specs, manuals? I contacted the Aquapulse USA rep in Tampa, Fl and he said he doesn't work on them. The coil wire and bone phone wires are deteriorating and I was wondering if the Aquapulse coils and head phones could be hardwired to it.

It's structure is a round metal canister mounted on a shaft and 8 c cell batteries are loaded thru the shaft. It has a 8 inch coil.

I haven't seen another example of it. What year could it be?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 06:53PM by robocop.
Re: Aquasport specs? Tom similar to Aqua Star ll ???
June 27, 2014 10:39AM
I've done a lot of research and googled to find the manufacturer is Protovale of the UK (made in England). Eric Foster was involved and he said (on another web site) it was developed and used by Mel Fisher during the early 1715 salvage years. This was acquired in the Sebastian area from a family member of a man who owned a house on the beach where Mel worked close to the beach. I'm going to the Mel Fisher museum in Sebastian to see if Taffi (Mel's daughter) has any memories or documentation on it. In one of the home movie videos (Man Eater) on the Mel Fisher web site (Memorial to Mel) you can see a woman diver using the Aquasport. I've posted pictures on another web site. It has the bone phone connection. Must be the earliest version of this device.
June 27, 2014 12:24PM
Hi Robocop,

Well it was 1981 when 3 of them come into Australia. Alan Hassel and i had one each as the first one the electronics carked it on me so i had to take the other one. To my knowledge thats all of that model come into Australia. I had it for many years and my mate still uses it. Great detector and a good idea with the battery compartment seperate from the electronics. It was manufactured by Protovale uk. It uses a bone conducter and great depth. I have got some photos in my pictures somewhere. Eric Foster was entailed with the design of the circuit board. I used a wheel barrow inertube to keep it afloat when in the water.

Regards O2findit.
June 27, 2014 03:58PM
Thanks for the info. I just got back from the Sebastian Mel Fisher museum where I talked with Taffi's daughter. She gave me Taffi's contact info. Taffi is semi retired but I'll see if she recalls this detector.
I was thinking of getting a new Aquapulse coil and bone phone and have them hardwired to the Aquasport and try it out. But I'll wait to see if it has any collector value before I mod it.

Does your mate have a manual I could get a copy of ?
Any spec info? Pulse delay? Schematic?
I think the single switch, rotary needs some work.

Thanks for any info you can get.

ROBOCOP
June 27, 2014 04:12PM
Hello Robocop,

Used to have an Aquasport, Was my first Pi an Eric Foster Pi made for Fisher. But I believe it was a 2B? Can't quite remember but it sounds like your model it too had C cells and a bone phone. The canister underneath the arm-rest was a good size the unit was all black.

The bone phone can be replaced with an underwater headset, And I too had to replace the coil with another 8" coil from a place out of Fla.

The Pulse delay super slow, This Pi is designed for great ocean depth so it's not than sensitivity to small conductive finds.

If I remember more or come across an old pic of my unit will share more, The Aquapulse coil should work on your old unit. Any waterproof headset can be wired to yours, If possible try to do your own work will save you $$$ and it's a easy job replacing both.

Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 04:14PM by Old California.
June 27, 2014 04:40PM
Can I attach pics on this web site? How?

My Aquasport is army green with a big blue metallic label. The short diver's shaft looks like gray pvc electrical conduit ?

Maybe I got a military version?

ROBOCOP
June 27, 2014 04:56PM
Paul (Ca)

I did see a correspondence you had with Eric Foster about this detector on another web site ( March 2004 wow! ).
Am I allowed to provide a link to it? Maybe not?

ROBOCOP
June 27, 2014 05:32PM
I'm sure its OK to attach a link its related to this thread, my memory is slow what I may have had was a 1B not a 2B as I mentioned above.

Soon after, This was about the timeframe Eric shared allot with me on some of his older pi models. A close friend of mine was a good friend with Eric.

Hope you get the pi going, these are simple to work with.
June 27, 2014 08:43PM
[www.findmall.com]

Here's one of the links. What a memory refresh.

ROBOCOP
June 27, 2014 08:48PM
[www.findmall.com]

Here's the other link. I guess there was a running conversation about the Aquasport.

When they say it was good for deep diving, what was considered deep diving back then?

ROBOCOP