Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Auto Tune and analog CZ's...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Auto Tune and analog CZ's...
February 27, 2010 02:37PM
If you have an area without much junk and its large this may help. Simply hunt in Auto-tune 0 and when you get a deep hit simply flip the dial from 0 to 1 to get an ID and audio tone response. Auto-tune to me seems to cover a lot more ground while swinging and not much difference in depth so if you hit one of those areas try it as you may like it..Basically tells you how much junk in the ground and certainly not for every area as in a junk filled area would become tedious at best with many signals to switch back and forth..Could be done with digital CZ's but would not be as easy switching...I know this has been discussed before but lets call it a review and remember CZ newbies frequent the forum...
Re: Auto Tune and analog CZ's...
February 27, 2010 05:45PM
Yes real good advice I followed it when you posted it last time. Great for the wide open low trash areas.
Aaron
February 27, 2010 11:19PM
Dan & Aaron,

I normally hunt that way in the water with my CZ 20! It's amazing how much tin and iron junk is in the sea bottom but I think the halo effect is bigger in auto tune and lets me cover the area better and it's easy to switch between 0 and 1. We always find the best jewelry in the water so we sure don't want to miss any!

Wally
February 28, 2010 03:46AM
On high-powered units...........the all-metal (Autotune) is always quite an education as to how many targets are in the ground.....even in 'perceived' clean areas.
February 28, 2010 06:14AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have an area without much junk and its
> large this may help. Simply hunt in Auto-tune 0
> and when you get a deep hit simply flip the dial
> from 0 to 1 to get an ID and audio tone response.
> Auto-tune to me seems to cover a lot more ground
> while swinging and not much difference in depth so
> if you hit one of those areas try it as you may
> like it..Basically tells you how much junk in the
> ground and certainly not for every area as in a
> junk filled area would become tedious at best with
> many signals to switch back and forth..Could be
> done with digital CZ's but would not be as easy
> switching...I know this has been discussed before
> but lets call it a review and remember CZ newbies
> frequent the forum...

I hunt in Auto Tune Mode sometimes but only in areas that are reasonably free of trash. (not too many)
This is what the Auto-Tune mode is for. When I'm hunt some areas of the beach and in areas that allow for it, I can get more depth. I've found some clad on the beach in damp sand and inland in wet soil, at some incredible depths.
When I do hunt with auto tune, I switch between
Iron Disc, and Auto Tune. If you can get in an area that is appropriate for this hunting method, I'd recommend it.
March 01, 2010 03:19PM
For me, when beach hunting, I am not sure if I gain a depth advantage on my 6a running in all metal vs. discriminate mode. I do know that I get a wider/bigger foot print coil wise running in all metal, but I am still not convinced of the depth advantage.

It gets to be a pain when you hit areas of small iron bits, fence wire, nails, etc. because you have to keep switching over to discrim. Some of those iron targets sound bad, but others sound pretty good and you have to either dig them all, or keep switching back and forth. The problem for me is, I have fashioned a set up where the 6a is underneath the arm cup and upside down, so it is not as easy to just thumb the discrim knob. The set up is much better balanced (especially when using the 10.5 or FZ12 coils) and feels lighter. I hunt by tone on the beach anyway, so I do not meter read when hunting there. Any repeatable mid or high tone, or low/mid tone bounce, I dig it. Found a few small gold items that gave off low/mid tone hits.

I still run in all metal when the beach is sanded in or there aren't a lot of targets, but once I get into an area/patch of targets, I switch to discrim, run sensitivity around 5 ( any higher and there is not much if any depth increase but more falsing and the coil footprint I believe gets a bit bigger so in areas where there are multiple targets close by, the probability of masking rises) and SLOW DOWN. I have found a lot of deep coins on the beach this way.

Also, I have been using the stock 8 inch coil on the beach the last few times and I must say it goes very deep and it much better in the patches of targets in the wet sand. You can't cover as much ground, but when you hit those patches and slow down, I think you can possibly retrieve more value targets with that coil.

Lastly... STILL HAVE NOT USED MY 3D ! This snow has killed me, but it looks like the weather is warming up so hopefully this weekend will be the maiden voyage. I want to first use it on land...that's why I have not taken to the beach. Got a few hunting sites in mind and I can't wait to try it out. I am going to take some notes as well as check every high tone repeatable in both enhanced and normal mode prior to digging and see what transpires.

JC
Covering all bases..
March 01, 2010 09:10PM
Even with conventional CZ's some check in both salt and normal mode...Actually CZ3D.. one mode for old places and one for newer parks so you should cover the area well due to both modes having different tone and meter width parameters and could easily grab a nice silver that someone missed..
Re: Covering all bases..
March 02, 2010 12:22AM
Auto-tune, large coil and wet salt beaches are a happy combo. On rare occasions, some units are substantially hotter in the auto-tune mode (vs. ID mode). ((( I have one of these units ))). If you have good ears with a good set of headphones..........and you can discern the slight variances in audio threshold.....you will find targets well beyond a foot; especially high conductors such as coins (minus nickels).
Conversely; These slight/minute' signal variances whilst in the ID mode (with high Sens settings) is what sounds like a bunch of 'falsing'. This is usually why the auto-tune mode gives the appearance of 'greater depth/better performance'. The human ear can discern what is a REPEATABLE slight audio variance.......vs.......being reliant upon the ID side-of-the-house detector electronics.