Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SHAFT CONVERSION

Posted by mrb1268 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
SHAFT CONVERSION
August 03, 2014 10:42AM
Hello all, I am considering the Anderson carbon fiber shaft, Based on as much intel as I could find over several weeks the reviews, trials, opinions, specs etc, nearly all strongly agree or suggest 99% of the time it will help with forearm fatigue, balance and is a very nice and worthy product. Has anyone had experience or perhaps know someone that has with this conversion for the AT Pro? If so would you share your/their thoughts... Michael
Re: SHAFT CONVERSION
August 07, 2014 05:31AM
Ok, On high hopes, I ordered the Anderson carbon fiber straight shaft assy. for the AT Pro. It arrived today, I removed it from the box and the first thing I notice is WOW!! this thing's pretty. The second I picked it up I was like Hmmmm... feels very very close to the same weight as the original shaft ..... by now the optimism of the whole thing is starting to fade a bit but to try and not react too quickly, I think....ok so maybe its a balance thing. so I assemble the upper/lower pieces to a comparable length of original coil/handle relation. install the coil and finger tighten the nut gently , snug a couple screws in the control box enough to secure the upper end. I lift and swing a time or two and within 10 min. every thing is back on the original Garret shaft. ..So my verdict is in, First and foremost it is a well made piece for sure and may work good for many people however for me it was just not the improvement I had hoped for. Again it definitely has the hi-tech/bling factor going on but I am more the functional or bang for the buck kinda guy...so I'll keep my ATP as is. Just wanted to let you guys/gals know what my experience was in satisfying my curiosity.
August 07, 2014 06:46AM
Thanks for the headsup, That's a bummer no improvement from the stock shaft.

on the Brightside, You can always use the new shaft for something else?

I'm thinking of changing my shaft setup with the AT Gold, Have something else in mind still use the S-handle setup but something allot neater.

Thanks again,
Paul
August 07, 2014 08:49AM
I do not own an AT Pro, so can not comment on how a straight shaft would balance out and feel on it. Where the straight shaft excels is in the water where an S shaft puts too much drag on the shaft and your arm especially in current. Straight shaft is a world of improvement in this setting. Also where you locate the control box on the shaft has everything to do with balance. Trial and error on every machine. I have the Plugger and Anderson rods and they are great on my water machines in and out of the water. In the water I do usually waist mount the control box for my Excall II's. Hope this helps...Stuart
August 07, 2014 04:57PM
Thanks Stuart for sharing your experiences with the straight shafts, Makes sense with what your sharing too much drag with an S-shaft in the water.

Same with coils, Smaller to medium size coils work best for me in water. Less drag and smaller coils see's less mineralization less masking, Works for me.

Thanks again for sharing,
Paul (ca)
August 07, 2014 05:00PM
mrb,

With the AT shaft setup, for me the larger DD knocks it off balance it's a little too heavy. But with the smaller DD it's a dream less strain on the arm, But then again I'm getting older so even a trig's weight can wear me down smiling smiley

Paul (ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 05:00PM by Old California.
August 08, 2014 09:12PM
Old California, I also swing the 5x8 a fair amount and do agree 110% it is like a breath of fresh air. But by my own observations I have to swing it 1 hr 20min. to cover what the 8.5x11 will do in 1 hour for what seems to me an equal physical effort. At least that's how the time shakes down for one smallish area i hunt. The goal I am trying to reach is to reduce the nose heaviness of the ATP whether it be from a lighter and or better balanced coil Garret or aftermarket either one. So I'm thinking maybe a coil that will cover the hunt as quickly as the 8.5x11 and swing at least a little closer weight wise as the 5x8.