Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

is there such a thing as down averaging (VDI/TID #s)?

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
is there such a thing as down averaging (VDI/TID #s)?
August 10, 2014 10:18PM
I see mention quite often of iron targets collocated with ferrous targets causing up averaging (increasing) of numerical readouts for the target(s).
I don't recall seeing anything about down averaging. Does this not occur?

If you have experienced occasions where down averaging occurred in your hunts, please provide what specifics you can about the targets, depths, and readings.

If you are convinced that down averaging does not occur, why is that?
Thanks.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: is there such a thing as down averaging (VDI/TID #s)?
August 10, 2014 11:51PM
Yes alot of machines down average on co locate...

But I dont think we should call it down average..

Because its also up averaging at the same time...take a nail and a nickle....a nail reads 25 a nickle reads 50 but we get a reading of 35...so which happened the nickle was down averaged or the nail was up averaged to create a combined reading....

newer machines with advanced processors and quick shutdown do alot of neat things when nails are in the snapshot of a non ferous item..

Other machines are not so high tech or at times use a diffeent way of lookign at target's.. ... a toltec2 tesoro an whites classic IDX even the newer Xteras AVERAGE a target...

over the years Ive dig plenty of co-located targets like dimes reading nickle and nickles reading foil on alot of different machine's..

the food for thought though is till recently we did not hear the iron reports of the intermingled targets .. just the hit and the wrong reading...so we just took the reading for what they were erroneous to us.. Now with the way we run more sleuthy with the rejected tone (IRON) in the report we have our thinking caps on more....Now we notice more....we dont pay as much attention to the I.D.s we know in thick iron they are wrong...but how do you know you have thick machine gun iron to alert you to take a chance if you cant hear it...

Soils/ iron/corrosion all combine to create unrelaible I.D's. daily...and all sorts of readings can take place by the machines you use..But be well asssured UP averaging DOWN averaging and AVERAGING in general takes place daily...

Keith

Keith
August 11, 2014 11:39AM
Wayne, in fairly good detail....... a lot of this is explained on this forum in a thread titled: Rcpt Ack of F75 LTD Proto. If you have the time to read this thread........ it should help.
August 12, 2014 01:11AM
Last week I had the f70 in a park sniffing out clad. VDI said 66, thought I had a cent. At one inch out came a piece of alum foil, rechecked, it read an 84. At 2 inches out popped a quarter.
August 14, 2014 01:58PM
Thanks, Keith and Tom and possum mo for your adds to the discussion.
Was out with the AT Pro a couple days ago. Put a clad quarter and dime on the ground about ¼ inch apart. Ran the coil over them. When the trailing coil edge cleared the quarter, it gave the dime signal. When the trailing edge of the coil cleared the dime, it gave the quarter signal. Sweeping over both, it gave a signal higher than dime and lower than quarter. There's a lot we can learn about our machines while programming our minds by arranging various targets we can see and listening to and looking at (vdi) what our detectors "see."
If I had done that first, I guess I wouldn't have needed to ask the question. But it was asking the question that led to the knowledge. And maybe it helped someone else.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
August 14, 2014 03:18PM
That is why the best way to hunt is dig it all at parks that will be on the hard side but relic hunters will dig most targets even in the iron range

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 14, 2014 03:49PM
I feel subject as been covered quite well but might add even with nothing near to average out a deep, worn or even tilted coin will give a lower than average reading....dial in unit you are using, ground condition, sweep speed or even angle you hit the target can give offbeat readings...If in a real old area those that dig the iffies get the ones others miss is a good rule of thumb...
Hobby certainly not an exact science for sure.