Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tick Tock - Tick Trouble

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tick Tock - Tick Trouble
August 16, 2014 02:19PM
Just saw a bit on the TV morning show about an allergy to red meat caused by the Lone Star Tick. Here's a news story about it

[t.today.com]

Here are a couple of pages from a good tick ID guide

[www.tickencounter.org]
[www.tickencounter.org]

I hate ticks. I lived in Newport News VA for a couple of years and every time I went in the woods, I'd have to do a full body tick check afterwards, and often enough found one of the little buggers. The tiny ones (in VA mostly Deer Ticks) are really hard to spot. The big issue of course is Lyme Disease, but there are several other tick borne illnesses, including this new one.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 04:30PM by lytle78.
Re: Tick Tock
August 16, 2014 03:03PM
I see these guys hunting cellar holes and winding through some thick vegetation. I am amazed they don't fear the ticks and other nasties out there. I don't think there is a target out there worth getting sick for. I like to hunt when the vegetation is low and the temps are cool.
August 16, 2014 03:36PM
I use Deep Woods Off here in PA where we have a Lyme's problem. I spray it on clothing and boots. So far, (knock on wood) it's keeping them off. When I forget to spray, I will occasionally pull out a tic, deer or dog. I keep an eye on the deer tic bite area for the bulls-eye formation.
August 16, 2014 04:40PM
Spray or pay. Tuck in your pant legs.
I use 100% DEET.

Just thought about using a freezing agent like that to dissolve warts to remove ticks.
Did a quick search and sure enough, they have come out with something similar:
[tic-off.pl]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
Re: Tick Tock - Tick Trouble
August 16, 2014 06:07PM
Im a tick magnet. Our ticks dont seem phased by deet. Been using permathin(sp?). Only thing that works. those little black bastards jack me up. Spent a night puking after getting bit once,and it always turns red,swollen and inflamed where I get bit. Im at war with those mother#$!!#s!!
August 16, 2014 09:50PM
Sven, thanks for the link...my pup gets more tics than I,,, it may be useful.
August 17, 2014 04:10AM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just saw a bit on the TV morning show about an
> allergy to red meat caused by the Lone Star Tick.
> Here's a news story about it
>
> [t.today.com]
> ic-red-meat-how-long-will-1D80054116
>
> Here are a couple of pages from a good tick ID
> guide
>
> [www.tickencounter.org]
> eer_tick
> [www.tickencounter.org]
> one_star_tick#top
>
> I hate ticks. I lived in Newport News VA for a
> couple of years and every time I went in the
> woods, I'd have to do a full body tick check
> afterwards, and often enough found one of the
> little buggers. The tiny ones (in VA mostly Deer
> Ticks) are really hard to spot. The big issue of
> course is Lyme Disease, but there are several
> other tick borne illnesses, including this new
> one.

ugly little bastards!..them and madagascar cock roaches!
ughhh!...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Dak
November 30, 2014 01:24PM
Be careful with that 100% deet around your plastics. I put that 100% stuff on a cloth then wipe it on my clothing. Then hang the cloth from a back pocket. I made the mistake of tossing this cloth in my bag with my pin pointer and headphones. It dissolved the plastic on the pin pointer real bad and left an impression on my headphones. Kinda like those artificial fishing worms will dissolve some plastic. Hope everyone made it through tick season safe.
November 30, 2014 01:51PM
Permethrin products is what I use. There is a place in west TN that back when I deer hunted, was covered in seed ticks. You would get eaten alive by hundreds/thousands of them. Those ticks aren't effected by deet at all. Permethrin products is what it took to kill them. I used a brand by the name of Duranon...in a yellow can. Great stuff. Best $8 investment you will make. But you can go to the local farmer's co-op and get the same stuff that they sell for cattle/horses and you mix it yourself. You can get it for a LOT cheaper per the quantity that you can make out of it. You mix it up with a certain ratio to water and can put it in your own spray bottles, etc.
November 30, 2014 02:16PM
All good info, have also cut 12'' to 16 inches of duct/gorilla tape & doubled it up, sticky side out and wrapped around my boots, don't know how well it works but you will find a few stuck on? H<tick/free>H