Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Only person not excited by XP DEUS?

Posted by Steve Herschbach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Only person not excited by XP DEUS?
September 07, 2014 10:06PM
I have got to be one if the easier people there is to convince I need a new detector. I have owned a ridiculous number over the years and rarely have less than ten units though my core in use boils down to five or six.

Maybe I am just old fashioned, but when I got my first look at an XP DEUS up close it just did not do it for me. It by all reports it is a terrific performer, but I am not wild about detectors that are actually incorporated into headphones and coils, and having to charge up my coil just goes too far. I like the idea of wireless headphones, but even on my CTX I have to admit I usually just plug my Sun Ray Golds in and go.

The XP has a well deserved reputation for pulling items out if iron, but between my CTX with 6" coil and Gold Bug Pro I just do not feel I am terribly lacking in that regard. The XP is light, but at 2.5 lbs the GBP is not killing me. So I guess it just boils down to the price - too much money for capability I feel like I already have covered well enough.

If XP put similar type capability in a more traditional package at a lower price I might be tempted, but then again if Fisher just doubled the processor speed on my Gold Bug Pro I would be there also. White's could similarly pump up the MXT or Garrett the AT Pro.

Anyway, I sure am not knocking the XP DEUS as there are plenty of people who really like theirs. But I guess I just had to comment due to some posts basically saying XP is the future and the US manufacturers have nothing to do but play catch up or die. I think the vast majority of people out there are better served with $700 detectors than the high priced units, and I say that as a guy with some very expensive detectors.
Re: Only person not excited by XP DEUS?
September 07, 2014 10:26PM
I agree----you are old fashioned.
September 07, 2014 10:47PM
There's certainly plenty of gushing about it on UK forums, I do find it a bit wearing. Thankfully the main forum I use is only mildly censored, so there is criticism of it as well. The charging of all the bits seems to attract negative comments, the coil-charging clip is a major weak-point. And all the carry-on related to the V3 / 3.1 / 3.2 upgrade certainly upset some people. And the cost of additional coils is eye-watering.
One of the good things about it is that it will cause the competition to react, which will benefit us all.
September 07, 2014 10:52PM
The man is not old fashion...It would be safe to say that 95% of detector users today get out once a week ( If That ) for a couple of hours with good friends. Half of that time they are engaged in idal chit chat, comparing finds, taking breaks and so forth...

So going out and spending $1000.00 for a machine that might get 100 hours use in a year, not having the time to fully understand the detector and most of them end up for sale somewhere. This is why the low end, $100-$300 detectors will always be in demand, good example, Tesoro...Turn on and go, find a few coins, go home and start the Honey Dew List.
September 07, 2014 11:02PM
Hi Steve, my decision to go with the Deus , came to the goldfield program and NevadaChris review of it. Now I can use one detector to relic hunt,coins and small gold. I was running with the gb pro, omega, Tejon and my PI,s. Donated the Omega to the AMRA raffle,selling the Tejon, and keeping the gb pro as back up. I feel with my limited detecting time,Im better off mastering one detector,then switching back and forth or hiking in with Two detectors ,like I have often done. Anyway,thats my thought process. Ray
September 07, 2014 11:38PM
Hi Ray,

Absolutely, we all have differing priorities. For me the CTX being water resistant and working better on salt water beaches carries some weight, so for me the CTX makes more sense than a one frequency at a time unit. I guess when I boil my bs down it comes to CTX or XP and the CTX serves my needs better. But that is not to say the XP does not fit the bill better for others. And I would much rather beat my GBP up gold prospecting than either the CTX or XP. Though after seeing what Ron (CA) has been doing my CTX may see the goldfields yet!

I can't say I am convinced the XP is a better prospecting machine than a Gold Bug Pro but you are just the guy to prove it.

We should not forget the forum discussion fad of the moment thing. Seems like Blisstool was all the rage for a bit. Then the Vista Gold. Now seems to be XP time. In my world it is SDC days. A year from now who knows.

Anyway, I really do understand why people are getting the XP DEUS and are liking it. I am more curious about why somebody like me is not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 12:16AM by Steve Herschbach.
September 08, 2014 12:00AM
I agree. Bottom line is, if you know YOUR machine inside and out, you'll pull things people walked over. Any of the top high end machines will find the goods. F75, Etrac/CTX, T2SE, Deus.

You see people doing amazing things with an XLT...consistently. at pounded cellars.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 12:01AM by fsdigital12.
September 08, 2014 12:26AM
I think I am fairly good at swinging the coil. I use the CTX and Deus. I like them both for the type of coin hunting I do. We were once called coin shooters, but I guess nothing stays the same. Those two detectors are the best I have ever used for hunting coins in the dirt. I know the forums run in cycles. It usually has to do with a new release. While the Deus is not new I guess you could say the firmware update is sort of new.

So the question is: Is the Deus worth all the press and hype here on the forum?

My personal opinion is that the Deus is a top performing metal detector that is just fun to detect with. I have seen it pull some nice finds out of sites where the pickens are slim. So my answer is yes.
September 08, 2014 12:32AM
Good write up Steve....

And yes for Me personally the DEUS 3.2 is first and foremost a tool for working through iron sites not producing anymore looking for Artifact's....

Ferrous and non Ferrous artifacts...Tone break is critical for that to happen...theres 3 machine I know of thats the best at that one scenario...GMP/DTVG/3.2DEUS..G2 right behind...its in how they expanded the iron range and allow for exact tone break by doing so...I see the newer version of the 3.2 a tad bit better than the other 2 mentioned so for me I want the best I can get hold of...not to say I would let the others go but I see DEUS as the APEX in iron unmasking...

For other task...certainly there will be better machines especially I.D. at depth..

Actually a CTX and a DEUS offset each other nicely...

The CTX with the 6 inch and thought process to think outside the box with the setups And approach can do alot of target pulling in iron also...Best FBS to date for that for sure...And for that one reason I found the CTX as more of an all arounder than the DEUS...The DEUS even with the other freqs is still in the core desinged for one thing ...unmasking in iron.. thats the soul of the machine..The soul of the CTX is accurate world renown I.D. and mineral handling..

I have stressed to that im not that fond of wireless...especially coils...I plug my headphones into the DEUS control box instead of the wireless ones 75% of the time.....

But I believe wireless will eventually take over in every aspect of our lives...

I do wish you would run the DEUS for prospecting and report back though...Im not a prospector but my testing says it would be a heck of a VLF unit to use like Ray is doing as prospector/Ghost towner.....steady threshold really sensitive to small almost micro target's...and has a unique way of handling Ironstone dirt and deciding if the target is iron or not...

If you care if a target is iron or not and that's it for I.D. and hunt in mineralization and also high concentrations of Iron trash then the DEUS/GMP/DTVG are no brainers with the 3.2 verison at a slight advantage....

for other hunting applications its like any other machine one might choose frpom any manufacturer thay all will have a strong point then you learn to get the most out of them in areas there not the hottest at..

Again choose a machine for what it can do for you to help you in the field...and yes prices seem to be getting higher and higher...

if you do decide to add a DEUS i think you can trim some off by not getting the wireless headphones...jsut the control and coil...should find someone to sell you one around 1275.00 like that...but when you get it it wont look like much LOL..but it may fill a bill.

if your dependant on your ctx for accurate I.D. then dont expect that from a DEUS....I see the DEUS as more of a G2 enhanced model.... whatever you see your G2 doing in iron know theres more to be found and the DEUS will find it ( But still not all of it) if you want to push it that far..if not then the G2 is a pleasure and also a producer to have...

horses for courses comes to mind...

Also talking of the MXT whites could update that unit with some more punch and in my opinion ability to manually ground bal and maybe a sped up processor and a newer tighter coil design .. and they would make a great unit even better...

My wish is for a G2 with full blown BP mode without speed loss..

As usual just my opinion..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 12:37AM by Keith Southern.
September 08, 2014 12:50AM
The older I become the more I appreciate the light weight of the Deus, had to give up om my Explorer and GPX, I can still swing the GB P tho, but like the Deus much better and the more I use, it the more I like it. Oh to be 70 again, Lol
September 08, 2014 12:58AM
I agree with Steve. Us old fashioned dogs can still hunt. What do the Deus users do if the battery in their coil craps out some day. Do they have to buy a new coil or is it covered under warranty? Mark
September 08, 2014 01:05AM
Hey Mark I think the warranty on the battery is a couple of years or so...but you can change it yourself...40.00 bucks I believe but dont quote me on the price.

Keith
September 08, 2014 01:19AM
I like to use one detector and learn it from top to bottom. The Minelabs have been too heavy for me even with a small coil and it's nice to have updates to the machine something Minelab only touched on and then stopped doing...I can't wait seven years for a new machine to come out with a new platform but if I can get software updates that matter to me during those seven years then I feel like I'm moving forward and not waiting...

The one thing that Keith can tell you is that all the finds we are missing are not being missed so much because of their depth but because they are being masked by trash or iron. I think Tom wrote that if you take a deus and are using the 12 freq or 8 and you pull out relics or coins that you thought were all missed on a hunted out area..try a freq of 18 and set the machine up (and that is very easy) and see how many more finds you get out of the same area. I think that is why when we hunt an area with a new machine we just got and hit a hunted out area we seem to find a few keepers. To me that machine is unmasking better. But the deus and again from what Keith wrote about and tested and over the pond have been saying for a few years now the deus really gives you an edge

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 08, 2014 01:59AM
I'm one of the folks Steve refers to using the $700 machine (G2 I paid $750 for in 2011 new). I'm in Canada and the Deus looks interesting but our price in Canada with our 13% tax is $2300 !!
too rich for this guy....The G2 with it's solid ID and EMI tolerance works for me. I will consider a 'new, improved' F75 if it has the benefits of the G2 with a couple more inches of depth, especially if they come out with a 2 freq version..
If it's price is around $1200 max...cheers...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 01:12PM by canslawhero.
September 08, 2014 02:01AM
I believe the choice of 4 frequencies on the fly is brilliant .The feather weight is awesome as well .Let us not forget the lightning speed of recovery . For me the Deus and CTX are my dynamic duo that covers about all bases with the exception of a deep-seeking PI for ultra deep relics and specialized nugget detecting .

I used the 2.0 Deus quite a bit early on and find the 3.2 upgrade to be a vast improvement for me .
September 08, 2014 03:18AM
Each to their own I say.

Personally I could not spend $2600 on a coin detector. That's just me though.

Steve have you seen the following?

[www.google.com]

Minelab has a new Patent on a new Gold Pi Detector.

The coil part in this document is interesting because the next coils going by that patent will have electronics in the coil.

I have an XP Deus arriving soon and can't wait to test it. The new gold program excites me to be honest and If it can find me some coins right
next to iron more power to me.There are 3 areas I think coins lay but could not find them after a few sweeps using another machine. Going back
to these are areas will tell me more about this though.

I can't wait to take it prospecting either and see how it handles are hot mineralised soils here in Victoria as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 03:34AM by wolfau.
September 08, 2014 04:00AM
I had a Deus and the design and function is revolutionary to say the least. It is great in iron and like all detectors has its strong and weak points. As a deep and old silver hunter there are better alternatives. I agree though its been hype'd up a bit.

Attention to detectors seems to run cyclical on this forum. Blisstools, deep tech vistas etc all had their periods of high praise and attention. winking smiley
September 08, 2014 05:07AM
wolfau Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve have you seen the following?
>
> [www.google.com]
> inventor:%22Bruce+Halcro+Candy%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uj
> wFVNzMDaL7iwLex4DQCQ&ved=0CDsQ6AEwBA
>
> Minelab has a new Patent on a new Gold Pi
> Detector.
>
> The coil part in this document is interesting
> because the next coils going by that patent will
> have electronics in the coil.

Yes, that has been knocking around the prospecting world. The gulf between patent applications and actual instruments I can purchase is huge. Just because patents exist does not mean products related to them ever will. However, it has been common knowledge that Minelab will be introducing its new flagship gold detector soon, probably in 2015. This may or may not be related to that.
September 08, 2014 06:47AM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> Anyway, I really do understand why people are
> getting the XP DEUS and are liking it. I am more
> curious about why somebody like me is not.

Here we go,....

First of all, I'd like to say I owned 2 Deus units. A version 2.0 with all the coils. A version 3.2 with all the coils.

If you are out chasing the deep targets, you're listening for that little mouse whisper of a signal.
Their factory headphones simply don't have enough ambient noise reduction! So you need to fix something up yourself.
Not very cutting edge is that!
You could raise audio gain. But then surface and deep signals are the same volume. OK dead end.

Ground balancing,... again if you want deep,... a spot on ground balance is required.
What's with those tiny buttons, that don't beep or click when you actually manage a positive input.
Very cutting edge.

Dead spots in the coil. Unlike othen coils there are 2 weak spots in the Deus coil.
When centering over a target trying to get max audio for a max dig or no dig ID/decission,... this is really annoying!
XP guys,... this is the business end,... we want things top notch at the end of our swing stick.

That's why the Deus and I didn't get along.

The large coil was a mean clad hunting machine at the beach. But you were going for recent drops on the very busy hot summer evenings or mornings.
Now I'm going with the F75, 11" coil on those OFF days and hitting the deeper, larger coins, the other guys missed. They are nearly always the larger value coins as well!
So I'm enjoying myself more, less competition, more easy going hunts.
Because of the more balanced swing, less fatigue on your wrist, I'm covering more area as well.
Deus large coils needs a straight shaft and pistol grip.

Now,... yesterday I spent a day seafishing with my buddy the detector dealer. And as things go in life we talk detectors,... he's actually a life long detectorist and I'm the newbie to detecting.
Whilst he's the fishing newbie and I've fished for most species in this part of the world.
We enjoy our days out.
We don't hunt together,... he enjoys his peace and quiet behind a pair of headphones as much as I do. We are both solo hunters for gold and silver, but prefer to fish together.

This week something like another 50 Deus machines are being delivered and several pallets of Garett At Pro units.

He likes his Explorer, Gold Max Power, CZ5 and excalibur diving set up.
I like my Excalibur beach hunter, CTX, F75, GB Pro, CZ-3D, Goldbug II,... guess who the newbie is still figuring things out.

Oh and I do like my 25 year old Penn reels and rods,... and fresh bait from the bait shop!!

The Deus is cool,.... just like Lowrance Insight Genesis sonar equipment.
But his powerboat really runs like crap when on plane,... I haven't mustered the courage yet to tell him :-)

HH
Johnb
September 08, 2014 11:02AM
Steve i think its coming to this style detector..... someday maybe you will just use your waterproff cell phone with an app, what a thought. We keep asking for digital upgrads and we want light with unbelievable depth and ability to work iron.... we might be getting there.... or at least making it easier to tot around and put together for a fast trip to anywhere.

Dew
September 08, 2014 02:34PM
Only hobby I know where everyone or most like to try the newest kid on the block...Heck bought a rifle and shotgun when I was in my teens and used them into my 50's before I got hooked on the hobby...been in the hobby over 20 years and must have used 100 units or more. Just getting too expensive when some 20 year old units will beat the pants off the newest kids on the block. Individual call my friends and we only go around once ought to cover it.
PS: had a XLT guru that he bought when they came out and its never been in the shop and could give anyone good competition no matter what they are swinging. Main reason he learned it well and could make it talk ought to cover that one...
September 08, 2014 02:50PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> And for that one
> reason I found the CTX as more of an all arounder
> than the DEUS...The DEUS even with the other freqs
> is still in the core desinged for one thing
> ...unmasking in iron.. thats the soul of the
> machine..The soul of the CTX is accurate world
> renown I.D. and mineral handling.......
>
> If you care if a target is iron or not and that's
> it for I.D. and hunt in mineralization and also
> high concentrations of Iron trash then the
> DEUS/GMP/DTVG are no brainers with the 3.2
> verison at a slight advantage......
>
> if your dependant on your ctx for accurate I.D.
> then dont expect that from a DEUS....I see the
> DEUS as more of a G2 enhanced model.... whatever
> you see your G2 doing in iron know theres more to
> be found and the DEUS will find it ( But still not
> all of it) if you want to push it that far..if not
> then the G2 is a pleasure and also a producer to
> have...
>
> Keith

I guess that sums it up pretty well. Thanks Keith and everyone else for the great replies.
September 08, 2014 03:48PM
I have tried to generate some personal interest in the Deus, but it is just not there. When it first came out I read the manual and read the reports but that was a far as it got. None of that made my hand reach for my wallet. I remember when it first came out and I saw that the remote display was a grey scale LCD and I was thinking, "Really? Completely wireless, super expensive, with cheap gray scale LCD display?" Really turned me off that the remote didn't have a color display for the price being asked for it. I guess it is the little things that move me.

However I do understand why other folks like it so much. The feature set IS impressive. And pulling stuff out of iron that no other detector you currently have does make for a very special feeling. But the desire to buy and try just isn't there for me.

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 03:50PM by Mike Hillis.
September 08, 2014 05:14PM
Yes the control unit lacks Pizzaz...But in all honesty its not there to really do much in the way of graphic target analysis...its more of a way to set the machine up and tuck it away...maybe a glance here and there....

But the whole machine is Audio intelligence first and foremost...

These european machines are straightforward in their goal...get the lowest fo conductors out of iron and iron rich soil....

They are not how should I say a detector to graphically target analyze a target...Like V3i or CTX ...

I will say this if somone likes a machine like a tesoro tejon or G2 with its ability to hit on jewelry and such then the DEUS/GMP would be a nirvana for them in tis extra sensitivity to targets ....the DEUS/GMP has more power on small gold and heres whats important it has the ability to respond to targets like a gold machine in the high khz range...

The American market is tough ...I hope XP does not bend to much to meet it in the wrong ways....I hope we bend some to meet the XPs ..

The XPS are modern cutting edge in technology ideas but underneath it all its really just an audio driven platfrom with HD sound perception that gets the goodies...a round about way to get to old school hunting in 21st century design..thing is though old school detectors cant be finite like the DEUS in setup...thats the magic of it..

Lots of great detectors made now a days... I like Specialized tools for my persuits..

Keith
September 08, 2014 06:26PM
Well......I think Mike would like it for his gold (jewelry) hunting--but it IS expensive!------I got one to "compliment" (in a fashion) my CTX/Etrac/SE Pro.-----I just can't turn loose of those Minelabs---they are SOOO nice!-------I do think this Deus is a pretty cool little machine---I just hope I'm smart enough to utilize it to the utmost of its capabilities---I'm tryin!------------Del
September 08, 2014 10:02PM
Nothing beats location. You can take a rookie to a virgin spot with an ACE 150 and have him finding keepers in a half hour. We all wish for that one detector that will make our old sites new because those virgin spots are few and very far between. Out of all the detectors I have used the Deus is the best detector I have personally used to take back to those old sites. Wireless? I can go either way on that one. But it does work well.
September 08, 2014 11:55PM
I should have also stated the final decision came down to micheganrelichunter selling me his Deus at KILLER price! Thanks Wayne!!
September 09, 2014 01:02AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Well......I think Mike would like it for his gold
> (jewelry) hunting--but it IS expensive!------I got
> one to "compliment" (in a fashion) my CTX/Etrac/SE
> Pro.-----I just can't turn loose of those
> Minelabs---they are SOOO nice!-------I do think
> this Deus is a pretty cool little machine---I just
> hope I'm smart enough to utilize it to the utmost
> of its capabilities---I'm tryin!------------Del

It is a fun thing to play with...I put it in all tones.....now I just have to get used to it being so light......Would not make a very good weapon....to defend myself with ...at some of the parks I hunt....Now the E-trac...I think ,I could swing that one with a Wallop!!!!
September 09, 2014 02:10PM
The head Russian detector engineer of AKA was quoted on one of the other forums as saying that XP is the leader in the detector world, technology wise. Just his opinion of course.
September 09, 2014 03:27PM
I took it to one park in San Francisco with the 11 coil that has magnetic dirt and it hit on some targets so deep I couldn't dig them. It also hit on a lot of targets with really good depth in very bad dirt. Then green grass park hunting 9 inch coil and in one hour found three silver finds and about five bucks in pocket change. I know a friend of mine that has hunted with the top of the line Tesoro for about ten years and just got the deus on the east coast and says it is the best machine he has ever used. But what is great for one guy in not always the best for another guy.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!