Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Guys a little off subject but wanted your opinion's.

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Guys a little off subject but wanted your opinion's.
September 13, 2014 02:26PM
On the news today I seen they are talking about possible prison time for Adrian Peterson who used a switch or limb of a tree to punish his son. Are you kidding me? When I was a child I had leather belts, switches, house shoes used on myself. But with every whopping I received I learned a lesson and to respect my parents. And I turned out just fine. This is why the prisons are so full now a days. The kids now a days hasn't had any sort of punishment for doing bad things. I'm sorry but this story on the news really made me mad and I wanted your guys opinions.
Re: Guys a little off subject but wanted your opinion's.
September 13, 2014 03:07PM
I think there is a fine line between being punished and being abused. Until they can figure out how to tell the difference, they are all the same. Like you I was punished by the hand. I learned with each one.
I ran away to play with friends, when my dad found me he walked me back home...1.5 miles. He had a limb off of a bush. The longer we walked, the madder he got. I never did that again.....
Now all you can do is take away their video games.

Tom in SC
September 13, 2014 03:10PM
88junior -- I agree with you in general, but can't comment as I don't know the extent of the "injuries" to the child. If the "injuries" were a raised pink mark that went away in a short time, where the switch "stung" his skin, then I agree with you. But, it sounds like it was more than that, so I would reserve judgement unless I were to see the injuries.

In general, though, I fully agree with you that a HUGE part of our societal problems are lack of parenting/lack of discipline/lack of respect for authority.

Steve
September 13, 2014 03:20PM
When you are in the limelight a star someone that people look up to you are subject to everything and you have to really think about what you do....He should have known better that you don't use a stick off a tree. So it was a stupid mistake

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 13, 2014 03:54PM
I would have to see the extent of how far he went with the switching...but my parents gave me a switching several times and I know it kept me on the straight and narrow. But there is a fine line between punishment and abuse. Today though it seems even taking away their video games amounts to abuse...mental abuse. My wife has a friend who has a 5 year old daughter, she refuses to do any type of physical punishment...the child is out of control...way beyond a brat...hits her mom, screams at her mom NO! if she requests her daughter to do ANYTHING, like go was her hands...etc etc. I cant stand to even be around the child because it is all I can do to hold my tongue.
September 13, 2014 04:10PM
Children need discipline...without it they are lost. But to discipline a child out of anger can be dangerous. If you are angry for what they have done you should not be too quick to give punishment. Let them know that you are angry and that they will be punished...settle down...and only then spank them. The wait will help you and certainly make them worry about what is coming to them.

Just my take...I was raised that way.

Charles
September 13, 2014 04:53PM
Indeed far worse than the punishment itself was,... waiting for it to happen.

If I broke it then I had to pay for it out of my allowance, work for it, fix it, got grounded, etc. etc.
Other than making a wrong into a wright, it also tought me some handy skills.

HH
Johnb
September 13, 2014 04:56PM
You never know .

You do something wrong and your mom usually would say go get me a what we call down here in the South Hickory switch...summertime getting hit on the legs with shorts on ouch.....winter time the old Toughskins took the sting out...LOL!!!

usually going to get the hickory was the worst part...alot of times it was not even used just set above the door frame to remind you...

I personally hated the bar of soap in the mouth ...I had to suck on the dial bar at school ...Try that now a days...probably close the school down..

Probably more to the story than we know...

Keith
September 13, 2014 05:01PM
If it was good ole whoopin,no problem. Dang sissy liberals need to mind their own. Abuse..then he needs to be punished,maybe work on issues. My mom beat the crap out of me with flyswatters and wooden spoons. Dad would whip me with a belt. I deserved it everytime. America is becoming the hyper-sensitive wussy nation. Its embarassing!
September 13, 2014 06:03PM
Being a little older than most forum members still remember that catty-nine-tail that hung in the cellarway and the wooden paddle used by most school teachers that even had holes drilled in it. Thank God they were not used much because after one time you toed the line.
Indeed a fine line between punishment and abuse but indeed we had respect for our elders which now is seldom seen in this generation(spare the rod and spoil the child) comes to mind)

Not knowing all the facts tough to make any judgement calls but jail time seems ridiculous at best....
September 13, 2014 06:09PM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it was good ole whoopin,no problem. Dang sissy
> liberals need to mind their own. Abuse..then he
> needs to be punished,maybe work on issues. My mom
> beat the crap out of me with flyswatters and
> wooden spoons. Dad would whip me with a belt. I
> deserved it everytime. America is becoming the
> hyper-sensitive wussy nation. Its embarassing!

Ray it sounds like you were brought up like I was! Every spanking I got I deserved also.
September 13, 2014 06:20PM
I was always brought up to respect my elders to Dan if I backed talked my parents or grand parents or my teachers at school I knew what the out come would be for me which was not very enjoyable so I was usually a pretty well minded kid. Without the fear of Parents and God this world is truly lost!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 06:23PM by 88junior.
September 13, 2014 06:21PM
If the kid deserved a whooping and it wasn't to the point of causing any damage other than to the kids ego then I say "good for that guy".

I was also raised where we got axx whoopins with belts, switches and even the schools had paddles for when you got out of line!

I'm also of the belief that this world (USA) has become nothing more than a bunch of wuss'es over the last 30/35 yrs and is the reason for the lack of personal responsibility, accountability and disrespect.

Like DanPa said - I remember one teacher in middle school (wood shop teacher) who custom made his own paddle with holes drilled in it (and it was narrow) so that it cut thru the air faster than normal paddles and believe me - you didn't want to get hit with THAT one cuz I found out the hard way horsing around in class with another kid near the bandsaw while it was running!

One time was enough for me with that one as I received my share of paddlings thru-out the course of schooling but none of them were like that one!
September 13, 2014 06:47PM
The bigger you are the more people want to see you fall. I know none of the facts. But this is one area where the times have changed. I remember my dad giving me a whooping right in a department store. I don't think that would go over too well today. So if you can't do it in public why can you do it in private? I guess that is why we have people looking out for kids. They will decide if it is abuse or not. i would ask at what point it becomes abuse? Hitting in the face? Leaving marks? I have no idea.
September 13, 2014 07:06PM
I am on both sides of the corporal punishment issue. As is the case in so much of our 'modern' world the excesses of the minority are used to justify the restriction of the majority- in this case those who can't or won't teach their children how to behave without going to extremes. Most of us are wired to repeat the system we grew up under. Many of us turned out okay (if you ask us). So we deduce it worked just fine. I don't think it is that simple and many raised very badly still seem fairly decent. The equation is very complex and mental health and happiness as well as conduct make it VERY hard to assess. So simply, I believe some kids and some behavior require corporal punishment meted out in measure with the infraction and as soon as possible in most cases. Some kids need only a rebuke or a time out type punishment and a good parent knows their child well enough to know who they are and what works for them. It will never be a perfect world and we will always have differences of opinion on this and many other questions. The role of government is to protect the vulnerable, yet do so with the minimum amount of interference and a maximum amount of freedom. Not an easy balance to strike (no pun intended).

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
September 13, 2014 07:10PM
I was raised like most of you. My parents would use the belt. Mom used whatever she had in her hand, usually a wooden spoon, or, she had a belt hanging in the closet that I'd remove and hide.....just made her more angry. I'd run away laughing until the words "wait till your father gets home' I stopped laughing then, begging and pleading for her not to tell him. Sometimes she'd make a deal with me, sometimes she wouldn't. I would do anything she said at that point.

When he got home, sometimes she'd tell him. His neck would turn, eyes burning a hole in me. Later on he would do his duty giving me a strapping. I know he didn't like doing it and it wasn't abuse. It stung like the dickens and I learned a lesson. Like Ray said, it was deserved.

He could just shoot that look while putting his hand on his buckle, you froze and thought 'ok, I must be doing something wrong', what did I just do...I'd better stop.

All in all it worked. It didn't totally keep me out of trouble in the future, but it taught me right from wrong and built a strong conscience.

I used the same tactics on my kids and they turned out well and never got into serious trouble, if any at all, memory serves me.

Translating the good Book...Spare the rod, you'll spoil the child... I agree with that.
September 13, 2014 08:26PM
old teen charged with shooting two brothers last weekend, ages 11 and 17, will be charged as an adult.

Zak Hurlburt was in a Stockton court Thursday afternoon, where the judge read a lengthy list of charges. One of those charges will become murder if the 11-year-old boy, who suffered life-threatening injuries, dies.

A witness said earlier this week several youths were in a Manteca home, drinking, when the shootings took place. The 11-year-old's brother was released from the hospital after suffering less serious injuries.

Hurlburt was denied bail and returns to court for

Guys,this happened next door to my aunt and uncle...same house I lived in from 18-20. Mom is a fat,drunk ,tweaker. Crap always going on. The boy in story died last night. The kids roamed the neighborhood,stealing and being vandals. The other kids are moving pot plants,computers,bikes,etc out of the house as we speak. A little discipline could have changed alot of lives.
September 13, 2014 11:03PM
Considering the complainants are in Texas, which is a bible thumping state don't think it will go anywhere? Having numerous paddling's in my " glory " days , once with 2x4 from shop teacher he couldn't find the paddle, give me a switch anytime! & HH
September 14, 2014 01:33AM
I agree the philosophy of responsibility and consequence has been derailed in this country but if the photos in this article are real , I believe he went too far and there are consequences for that as well.
It does emphasize the alleged nature : [thebiglead.com]
September 14, 2014 02:06AM
Looking at the pics,.... too much force, especially on a 4 year old......whooping room? weird. Prison time, no way. Counselling, probably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2014 02:07AM by ozzie.
September 14, 2014 02:26AM
Im not stating if AP was right or wrong...but there is definitely a agenda to wussify America...and especially targeted against football in general,and NFL in particular.