Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

All Metal Mode Question

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
All Metal Mode Question
March 13, 2010 02:05PM
Is it accurate to say; if in the discrim mode with 0 discrim setting, one tone, is basically all metal? Or even 0 discrim setting w/ more than one tone? I say it is but I may be overlooking something. I'll take technical answers in laymans terms if you have them, thanks!
Re: All Metal Mode Question
March 14, 2010 02:14PM
Very similar......except the ID mode with Disc '0' has a 'audio boost' on the deep/weak targets. Plus....the ID mode also produces a 'artificial intelligence' ..."fixed" audio report......even when one tone is selected. The true all-metal mode does not 'create' a tone and spit it out to your headphones; rather, it is moreso raw data.....raw audio; rather than a 'created beep'. In the all-metal mode......deep/weak targets are not audio-boosted (volume increased)......and will sound very low in volume....very weak (I like this type of modulated audio)......but these deep/weak targets are VERY easy to miss....as your ears may not detect the faint/low-volume targets. The ID mode will 'boost' this weak target up to a full volume .... normal sounding audio for your headphones. You may be less likely to be able to tell the target is deep/weak.....BUT...... you are MUCH less likely to miss these types of targets.
March 14, 2010 05:13PM
Great explanation, I understand completly.
You like the AM audio because it has a little more feel/info from the sound vs just a flat one dimension tone, correct?
March 14, 2010 05:45PM
Sounds to me that DISC is a better way to go if you don't have the best hearing.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 15, 2010 01:12AM
You are BOTH correct! Whilst digging pits and attempting to pull EVERY piece of flake/fleck of metal out of the ground......I usually run the all-metal mode with detector volume on max and headphone volume on max. This is barely enough......but.....by paying attention......is ascertainable.
March 15, 2010 02:26AM
I can't use my volume & hdphones maxed out, its way too loud even for my worn out eardrums. Sometimes the volume control on the F-75 gets rubbed on my side or catches on my coat and unknowingly raises the volume, next target gives me a sound blast followed by "son of a gun!!".
If the ground is loaded with iron bits & nails, it's easier for me to use discrim sounds...all metal (in that situation) is too long of a sound and too much for my hearing. In discrim tones I can distinguish the separate pieces of metal easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 02:33AM by ozzie.
Be pepared for..
March 15, 2010 01:48PM
An excedrin headache as noisy way to hunt and usually gives you more depth and those that dig all get the goodies others miss..Nice explanation Tom...
Re: Be pepared for..
March 16, 2010 12:47AM
The only time I utilize the true all-metal mode (and at Max Sens).....is when I'm excavating pits.....with the FULL intent of removing absolutely every speck of metal. Otherwise; it's 4-tone ID mode w/Max Sens.
March 16, 2010 11:46AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very similar......except the ID mode with Disc '0'
> has a 'audio boost' on the deep/weak targets.
> Plus....the ID mode also produces a 'artificial
> intelligence' ..."fixed" audio report......even
> when one tone is selected. The true all-metal mode
> does not 'create' a tone and spit it out to your
> headphones; rather, it is moreso raw data.....raw
> audio; rather than a 'created beep'. In the
> all-metal mode......deep/weak targets are not
> audio-boosted (volume increased)......and will
> sound very low in volume....very weak (I like this
> type of modulated audio)......but these deep/weak
> targets are VERY easy to miss....as your ears may
> not detect the faint/low-volume targets. The ID
> mode will 'boost' this weak target up to a full
> volume .... normal sounding audio for your
> headphones. You may be less likely to be able to
> tell the target is deep/weak.....BUT...... you are
> MUCH less likely to miss these types of targets.

Can I assume you're talking about any Fisher model when it comes to the all metal mode?

The 'audio boost' you're talking about, is that while using the discrimination modes?
Assuming the sensitivity setting is the same between the all metal and discrimination mode, does the AM or disc mode see more ground over the other or do they see the same about of soil?
In other words, does one mode have an advantage over the other when it comes to covering more ground with a sweep of the coil?
March 16, 2010 06:44PM
If im relic hunting its true all metal mode for me. Ive pulled some relics that wouldnt even beep in 0 disk mode and would only give a slight rise in threshold (no vdi) in all metal mode. Pull a small plug and start getting a nice repeatable signal and vdi> and walla,, nice dropped 3 ringer.

This IS using a regular F75 not the LTD. Does the LTD really give an extra boost in all metal mode? If so im sold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2010 06:45PM by Robby.
March 17, 2010 12:27AM
For most folks......the problem is.......a very faint/weak audio (slight threshold change) in the all-metal mode....may not be detected by old human ears. This very small/faint/weak all-metal sound would be boosted to a full volume sound in the ID mode. Yes, there are times/situations where the ID mode will not detect a very faint all-metal target.......with....obviously, the all-metal mode (ever-so-faintly) detecting it.

Most metal detectors (yes, especially Fisher) has a artificially created tone for the ID mode.......but the all-metal mode is more-so 'raw-data'.

The LTD does indeed have a 'boost' mode....but can only be ascertained by putting the ID mode into the 'boost-process' ('bp') mode,,, or in the (cl) mode.....then switching the unit back over to the all-metal mode. You would then have a 'boosted' all-metal mode.
March 17, 2010 11:17AM
Thanks for the information Tom.
March 22, 2010 07:52PM
so you mean to tell me that the boost process can carry over into all metal ??? is that proven ? if so this is legendary in some of the silent ground i hunt please explain if you have time sir
March 23, 2010 01:20AM
YES! And likewise.........if you flip over to the all-metal mode..and change Grnd Bal........then switch back to the ID mode.......the Grnd Bal will carry over to the ID mode. (Same with Stat/Motion all-metal mode).
March 23, 2010 02:24AM
I know for a fact that I have had my LTD in disc boost mode then gone to AM and boost is working. I think for those that hunt in AM you should get more depth on fringe targets and get those bullets that are deep and give a iffy tone.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 23, 2010 06:58PM
Lorenzo...the difference is huge as you probably have seen. I was shocked at how many targets that wouldn't give a threshold change in original F-75's in AM or the LTD's running DE AM, would be very detectable with ID's in BP AM. Of course the site has to have the "right" targets to see this first handed.
March 23, 2010 08:16PM
Does the T2 LTD have boost in AM mode?
March 24, 2010 12:11AM
Yes.