Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

50% Rule

Posted by jackalope 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
50% Rule
January 30, 2008 02:10AM
Tom:

Just watched the DVD again and maybe you could clarify something. You said, I believe, that when scanning a target with multiple tones that include the iron tone, if you hear the high tone continously for 50% of the compass you dig it. Also if you hear the iron tone continously for more than 50% of the compass, you would pass it up. How about if both high and low tones continue for more than 50% of the compass?

When using the 4H tones, in an area that has lots of iron and non-ferrous junk, it almost sounds like a tune. Dissonant tune, of course. The various squawks and grunts are distracting. What's your opinion on using 2F to locate possible targets and switching to 3H or 4H to look for a quality tone?

The ground is still frozen here and I've resorted the detecting the first couple of feet of ground next to blacktop driveways or roads. Apparently, the heating of the black surface creates heat that radiates to the nearby ground. Also, the city has a piece of public ground where they dump all the snow from the city streets. The piles are almost melted down so there will only be a couple of inches of soil left to check for coins and/or jewelery. This will help keep me busy until the real thaw.

Ron
Re: 50% Rule
January 30, 2008 03:32AM
Ron,

If you are relic hunting and using tone-ID (on any brand beeper)...... recover the targets that ID as non-ferrous GREATER than >50% of body rotation. If coin hunting.... follow the same rule..... except it must be a high-tone (coin-tone) for GREATER than >50% of body rotation.

On F-75/T-2....... I'd rather switch to monotone (from a multi-tone setting) when a 'iffy' target is located...... as you rotate your body around the target. As you rotate your body into ID Max-Q of target,,,,, the audio report will be at it's longest, most clean, most clear resolution. As you continue to rotate your body,,,,, rotating out of the best audible report....... you will notice the audio length become shorter and more 'ratty'. ..... When you find the most clear/clean audible response, then,,,,, and ONLY then..... you should look at the VDI for best snap-shot resolution...,,,,, keeping in mind,,, it's the best overall averaging of the unit's abilities.

Tom
January 31, 2008 12:40AM
Hey Jackalope, Do I understand that you have viewed a DVD for the F75 detector? If I am correct, where did you get the DVD for the F75, the people at First Texas were too cheap to provide a DVD with my F75. I guess that $1,100 is not enough profit for them to actual provide a fifty cent DVD?

Jerry
January 31, 2008 01:37AM
gzimmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Jackalope, Do I understand that you have
> viewed a DVD for the F75 detector? If I am
> correct, where did you get the DVD for the F75,
> the people at First Texas were too cheap to
> provide a DVD with my F75. I guess that $1,100 is
> not enough profit for them to actual provide a
> fifty cent DVD?
>
> Jerry

He's referring to Tom's video in which he uses the CZ-3D. His lessons in the video apply to all detectors though including the F75 - not just the CZ-3D.
January 31, 2008 04:46AM
Jerry:

seattleMD is correct on the DVD. I'm used to XLT tones and the tones in the DVD are a lot like my F-75 tones. So much so that I've watched the DVD over and over, each time the different tone qualities getting a little more permanent in my memory. It's the quality of the tone and Tom explains it in a way even I can understand.

I was pretty much sold on the F-75 even before I bought it, so I ordered the small coil and Tom's DVD at the same time. My plans are to watch, and listen, to the DVD on a regular basis. It's sort of like muscle memory in the golf swing.

Ron
February 01, 2008 12:28AM
Ron,Thanks forthe information on the DVD. Did you buy it from First Texas, how much did the DVD cost. I might like to buy one, please provide the correct name for the DVD as well as the address where i can order one?

Thanks

Jerry
February 01, 2008 12:43AM
Again, it's Tom's video (Thomas Dankowski - this website's owner). You should see the ads for this video at the bottom of every page. You can also head to the home page and simply click on the link for the video there. It's called "Metal Detecting - Real World Techniques - Inland Coin and Relic Hunting."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2008 12:44AM by seattleMD.