Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F70...Is there anything this thing can't do?

Posted by diggwr27 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F70...Is there anything this thing can't do?
October 31, 2014 03:25PM
One day the new F75 LTD DST for me I predict, but right now the F70 seems to be doing everything I ask of it and more.

Found a ton this summer in a total iron pit, changed to one tone when it slowed down and found more.
I wanted to see if this one tone setting will help in the trash at my regular park sites so for the last few weeks I have been using that and it does.
Gotta look at the sceen more than my usual 4H tones but I am finding it seems much more stable, unusually quiet actually, and also I have less mental fatigue doing it this way than listening to the noise I hear in 4H and higher sense settings.

In the last week or so this is what I have found on 2 hunts at a total trash pit around a basketball court...my favorite type of site in the dirt to look for jewelry.
I have been to this site many, many times before and found plenty, but now I want to get the F70 in there and see what it can do,

First hunt, settings were disc 4, sense on 85, DE, thresh at -2 or -1 whatever is quieter at the time, 1 tone notch always at 1.
The 5" DD sniper coil is my goto accessory in heavy duty trash.

Found both of these in areas around this court I have scoured in the past and both surrounded by mucho trash.
A grill with 2 initials, no marks but it came in high so I believe it is silver.
A very nice silver ring with a 14k little gold heart as a bonus.
Great signals and both loud and clear even next to trash.

Yesterday I went back again and using the same setup found another goodie I missed in all my previous time spent here.
A pretty solid 77 at about 4" deep, this thing was crushed and I thought it was a pin at first but looking closer I see it is a flattened and bent up silver ring.
925 marked in 2 places, here is what it looked like when it came out of the ground, after I repaired it at home with my mandrel, cleaned up, and now tell me this isn't just the most lovely thing you have ever seen a man wear in your life?
Once I rework that grill to fit me I now have the perfect accessory to add to the ensamble when I dress up and go out on the town.

In between these hunts I happened to go back to the park where I recently found a small gold ring using these same settings also surrounded by trash and thanked Tom for even suggesting this way of hunting, and for a change I pulled out the Compadre for this hunt because more jewelry was my goal and I have much fun using this thing when I get the urge.
I found the tiniest, thinnist ring I have ever found that day, here is a pic to give you an idea how small this thing really is.
.3 grams...that is POINT 3.
Oh yea...it is also silver.

Solid and clear on the Compadre, I wondered if the F70 would pick this thing up and give me a for sure dig me signal also so I air tested it with the 11" DD coil mounted.
Not a speck of a problem hearing this thing...solid and stable even with that big coil so that gives me confidence if I ever come across any more micro jewelry out there of any size my F70 will find it and tell me about it, especially if I am using the sniper.

Still having a great time with the F70, still learning and still finding some great things.
What a great hobby, what a fantastic tool to use while doing it!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 03:35PM by diggwr27.
Re: F70...Is there anything this thing can't do?
October 31, 2014 03:42PM
Very nice indeed ;-)

Good write up too.
October 31, 2014 04:09PM
Great finds and wonderful write up. Thanks for sharing with us.

Duke
October 31, 2014 05:58PM
Great finds---but I think that 'heart' ring is 14K white gold, with a 14K 'gold' gold heart?

Though I suggested in another thread that upgrading the F70 to DST etc would in principal be possible, I very much doubt it will happen, so that puts a cap on what your F70 can do.
October 31, 2014 06:01PM
What does the silver ring with the 14K gold heart ID as..... on your F70?

Can you increase your Sens (from 85) to 90?

Very good write-up and spectacular resolution photo's.

Would love to see you........ even just for one day........ try/hunt with a F75SE/LTD with 5" coil.... in 'boost process' mode. I very specifically say this.... due to your level of patience, skillset and 'type' of hunting.
October 31, 2014 06:12PM
Digg, definitely want you to post a pic with that grill in...... Nice finds there.
October 31, 2014 07:17PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
(What does the silver ring with the 14K gold heart
ID as..... on your F70?)

That ring is not huge, size 7, 5.4 grams and pretty thick...came in high and is a 91 on the F70.
---------------------------------------------------

(Can you increase your Sens (from 85) to 90?)

Sure.
I can put up with a ton of noise if necessary, not that above 90 gets real noisy in this 1 tone setting, but recently I just feel like having a quieter experience so I keep it at 85 because it does a little less falsing than past 90 and also just a habit I settled into.
85 in most of my parks just seems like it gets deep, works well even around heavy EMI.

Here is the best pocket spill I have dug so far.
It happened 2 1/2 months in after getting the F70 so still messing around with a bunch of settings at the time and I knew hardly anything compared to what I know now.
At the edge of an old park near the street across from some old homes and I am not sure what is going on here but there is more EMI at this area than anywhere I ever hunted in the past.
Even so,settings at this time were.... 11" DD coil, disc on 4, DE speed, sense was near 80, thresh in the low negative numbers and I believe I was in 4H tones.
Pretty jumpy from the 50's to the 80s but a great solid tone, several solid tones as I moved the coil around about a 1' area, when I dug all the coins I figured out why.
3 IH's and a 1915 wheat cent spread out a bit and every bit in the 7-8" depth range.
My soil is great here in Kansas, even at lower than 80 sense I believe I can get as deep as I need to for most targets, however if you think there is an advantage to moving up the sense a bit more I am more than game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Very good write-up and spectacular resolution
photo's.)

Thanks.
Love to write, the camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS6.
Just an led lamp for lighting, my pictures would be much better if I built a simple light box for them one day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Would love to see you........ even just for one
day........ try/hunt with a F75SE/LTD with 5"
coil.... in 'boost process' mode. I very
specifically say this.... due to your level of
patience, skillset and 'type' of hunting.)

Thanks for that sentiment...a lot!
One day I probably will.
I did and found things with the F2 that many thought were pretty impressive.
I always wondered what I could do with an upper end Fisher with more settings and this year I am finding out.

I do have SL on this thing, a different process but the effect is similar to boost.
A little noisier, but again if you want me to use it more than I already do for some logical reason I will not hesitate to try.

A few years ago I vowed never to buy another thing for this hobby using money that didn't come from my clad or selling my jewelry finds and I haven't.
The F70 was easily bought with the sale of just a few of my gold rings.
An F75, a quiet F75 sounds like a dream machine to me and even though I love hunting with my Tesoros and I am pretty good with them, I seem to have an even more affinity for using Fishers so I am sure one day I will own one when I get bored with the F70.
That probably won't happen real soon, however.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 07:27PM by diggwr27.
October 31, 2014 07:37PM
My error, I've just had another squint at the silver/gold ring, it looks like there is ??925 in the hallmark, so Sterling Silver, and that ties in with the high ID value. The gold part will have almost no effect on the ID, I guess.
October 31, 2014 07:55PM
Pimento Wrote:
> My error, I've just had another squint at the
> silver/gold ring, it looks like there is ??925 in
> the hallmark, so Sterling Silver, and that ties in
> with the high ID value. The gold part will have
> almost no effect on the ID, I guess.

Nope.
I knew this thing was silver when I pulled it out of the ground, the 14k mark confused me at first till I turned it around and saw the little gold heart.
A nice surprise and only the second silver/gold combo jewelry item I have ever dug.
October 31, 2014 09:07PM
That little Compadre can be amazing. I found a stud earring once with mine, but the stud itself was missing. Went back over the hole & found that tiny piece with it.
November 01, 2014 12:28PM
Yes....... I was 98% certain the ring was silver. Just needed the conductivity ID so as to relinquish the remainder 2% doubt!

If you can..... I would try a Sens setting of 89 or 90...... but not go into the 90's (yet). The stability (EMI) is not reduced that much. Yes..... if you are much more comfortable with a Sens setting of 85.......... by all means...... stick to it!

The F75SE/LTD in 'bp' (boost process) mode..... coupled with the 5" DD coil is truly an eye-opener. Nearly the same depth you are acquiring right now with your F70 (and with the settings you are currently using).............. yet, doing it with a small/tight 5" DD coil.
((( Just simply an experience/education that you should have ..... for the 'level' that you are currently at. )))
November 01, 2014 02:36PM
Tom i have the F70 and awaiting my new F75LTD once they start shipping.. I im very happy with my F70 and cant wait to do some comparing
November 01, 2014 03:08PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Yes....... I was 98% certain the ring was silver.
> Just needed the conductivity ID so as to
> relinquish the remainder 2% doubt!
>
> If you can..... I would try a Sens setting of 89
> or 90...... but not go into the 90's (yet). The
> stability (EMI) is not reduced that much. Yes.....
> if you are much more comfortable with a Sens
> setting of 85.......... by all means...... stick
> to it!
>
> The F75SE/LTD in 'bp' (boost process) mode.....
> coupled with the 5" DD coil is truly an
> eye-opener. Nearly the same depth you are
> acquiring right now with your F70 (and with the
> settings you are currently using)..............
> yet, doing it with a small/tight 5" DD coil.
> ((( Just simply an experience/education that you
> should have ..... for the 'level' that you are
> currently at. )))

Will do.
Bumping up the sense a bit more should not add much noise at all, I have noticed that at about 91 and above it does add a bit more high tone falsing at some sites but this 1 tone setting still seems quieter and more stable than my usual 4H park hunting settings and as I said a bit less mentally fatigueing to hunt with for long periods.
I will flip into SL some more, also.
You never know what is lurking down there really deep and who knows...SL and a slow moving coil might find me even more in the trash pits I usually hunt.
Not that I am unhappy in the slightest with the ease at which the F70 is plucking out these better targets from between all that trash with these settings.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 03:46PM by diggwr27.