Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

head lamp choice

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
head lamp choice
November 06, 2014 11:11PM
Greetings,
Ozzie egged me on, and the more I think about it, the more I want to get a headlamp so that I can hunt after dark. It is too depressing to get home after dark and have no shot at going out. I have a G2 and CZ6a so no inherent lighting.

Does anyone have much experience with head lamps, and if so, which ones performed well for you?

Thanks.
Re: head lamp choice
November 06, 2014 11:49PM
I have a Cyclops I picked up at Academy. 2 triple a batteries. Light and compact. Has two brightness levels and a flashing mode. I don't night detect but use it for other things. I have had several different ones over the years and I like this one the best. Going to pick up a spare.
Price was 19.?? Plus tax. Well worth te cost.
Pac Man
November 06, 2014 11:53PM
I used to use a head lamp all the time when hitting the low in the early a.m. hours back when I beach hunted. This is the one I used. It's an Energizer. Fantastic & BRIGHT!!! Duracell makes good ones, too. They're all in the $20 range. [campinggadget.blogspot.com]

Joe
November 07, 2014 02:34AM
I got a bunch...Costco three pack cheapies to black diamond ones from REI. All work good.
November 07, 2014 06:08AM
Rod,
I hear you. I actually prefer night hunting...you run into fewer people. (Although I have had police cruisers shine their spot on me for a few seconds.)

I use a Bosavi. It's a little pricey, but it's very light, very bright, and has a built in lithium-ion rechargable battery that lasts quite a while.
5 steady state modes, two flashing modes. 3 LEDs - 1 broad beam white, 1 broad beam red, 1 high power Nichia type (with 3 power levels)
Oh, and it has a way of checking state of charge, so you won't get caught in the dark.

I don't even know where my Petzl is anymore.

mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2014 06:09AM by Mike in CO.
November 07, 2014 11:02AM
Rod, I have a Petzl headlamp. It's very light-weight, 4 led lamps hi-low, strob, flips to red (need red), 3 aaa batteries, quick up-down adjustments. I also use it for work when in dark attics or crawl spaces. You want a light that's not TOO blaring or wide....just enough to see in front of you. Remembering correctly, I bought it at Eastern Mountain Sports. Not the cheapest though.
November 07, 2014 07:32PM
Another vote for Costco 3 pack. Works fine and you have backup at a very affordable price.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie