Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Technical ?

Posted by BamaJoe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Technical ?
November 08, 2014 04:55AM
This may be a foolish question but I will try anyway. My E-trac, CTX, I think the CZ3D and probably other detectors have audio settings that if adjusted correctly can vary the audio volume according to the depth. Meaning shallow is loud and deep is soft whisper. This (soft whisper) doesn't help those us with hearing difficulties and maybe all when in a trashy noisy place. My question, I think the more expensive headphones come with a volume limiter circuit. If I set up my E-trac at max volume with variable gain to get a soft whisper at depth then adjust a headphone that has a limiter (I only have cheap Koss) circuit to limit out the loud shallow audio, will I then be able to here only the soft whispers? If not, can a smart (fast processor) headphone be made that can do this? In other words I want to discriminate out the shallow (loud audio) targets then bring the volume of the deep whisper signals up to where I can hear them. I'am getting old so take it easy on me.
Re: Technical ?
November 08, 2014 02:56PM
Years ago the depth master sort of did what you are asking...Some swore by them and many did not so they were discontinued. Unfortunately we are all getting older with hearing problems and to hear those whispers we have to run audio max and get our ear blown out by shallow targets. Perhaps some of our technical minded forum members can provide additional info...
November 08, 2014 04:09PM
The Deus has audio adjustment for deeper tragets will have a louder tone but it won't effect targets that are not as deep. So a shallow target will have the same strength as far as the tone as the deep target and it has iron audio...I use it a lot also but so I can really hear the soft deep targets better

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
November 08, 2014 05:22PM
All CZ's have an audio limiter built in. I believe after "5" on an analog CZ, the limiting circuit effects begin to become apparent. discriminating out the loud targets and only hearing the quiet ones would require circuitry beyond the limiter. A silencing circuit that would operate in reverse mode - turning off the audio once a certain high threshold were met.
November 08, 2014 06:16PM
CTX3030
Volume gain and volume limit are adjusted seperatly. And depth is displayed on the screen.
So you can adjust the whispers to be able to hear them, and you can limit the LOUD targets to be comfortable.

The really deep targets give snow on the screen, detector aknowledges there is something down there, but the ID circuit doesn't have enough signal to make a positive ID.
That's where the pinpoint button comes into play :-)

Once you get the hang of this,... get a better digger!

HH
Johnb
November 09, 2014 01:35AM
Ed-CZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All CZ's have an audio limiter built in. I believe
> after "5" on an analog CZ, the limiting circuit
> effects begin to become apparent. discriminating
> out the loud targets and only hearing the quiet
> ones would require circuitry beyond the limiter. A
> silencing circuit that would operate in reverse
> mode - turning off the audio once a certain high
> threshold were met.

right ,and this is what makes this particular fisher product sooo damn
satisfying in the field!..wonderful modulated audio at depth assuring you
that you have a sweet hit at depth gets me excited to the point of releasing bodily fluids!
im just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 09, 2014 10:08PM
You Know whats funny Bama...Years ago George payne put the surface blanker on some of his unit's...

it was selectable...to say 2 or 4 inches.. it was set to be most accurate for coins and worked off the meter if a target was a coin and it was in your setting window it blanked....you could blank out the 4 inch probably clad dime and dig the 6 inch hopefullysilver dime.

I know of no other designer doing this now...but back then it was to dig the silver and not the surface clad..Silver by then was out fo production for 20 years so was deeper than the modern clad....yet there was still plenty of silver so the simple idea worked for awhile for the average weekend hunter..

Detecting has changed so much .....

sorry i didnt answer question but im sure with some thought process its doable!

Keith
November 10, 2014 06:34AM
i remember this as well,however what i remember most about it was
that bounty hunter seemed to be the only company using it (,probably as a result of
patent infringement),OR other companies were not very enthralled about it. anyway,
point is,i don't believe most cared two s**ts about it,as it seemed to leave as quickly as it came.
i suspect this was so because at the time of the "blanker's release,MOST silver was being hit around the
4" level (war stuff),and barbers and seated was at approx. the 5",or 6" levels..(new england),soooo if ya was
to set the blanker too deep,ya "walked" over a "lot" of good stuff,and even setting it at the 2" level,made sure ya walked over more good stuff,
as well as the crap you was tryin' to eliminate....i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 10, 2014 07:05AM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
> CTX3030
> Volume gain and volume limit are adjusted
> seperatly. And depth is displayed on the screen.
> So you can adjust the whispers to be able to hear
> them, and you can limit the LOUD targets to be
> comfortable.
>
> The really deep targets give snow on the screen,
> detector aknowledges there is something down
> there, but the ID circuit doesn't have enough
> signal to make a positive ID.
> That's where the pinpoint button comes into play
> :-)
>
> Once you get the hang of this,... get a better
> digger!

an "outrageous" feature to be sure!
loved to have one,and didn't have to "float" a second mortgage on
the house to acquire one..difficult to understand why minelab cannot incorporate
these great features into a more affordable unit.drop the "fluff" and give the great
"unwashed" a superlative instrument most of us can afford!
November 10, 2014 08:47AM
They do have a tendency to price their units at a premium.
My CTX and all the coils, Excalibur II, SDC2300, F75 Ltd and a few coils, F19 camou.
Well you simply don't want to add things up.
It isn't a harmless hobby any more.

However when you compare it to a motorbike, atv, jeep, surfing vacations, tourist vacations, fishing boat, hunting expeditions, etc.
It really is fairly harmless and you can start off with a really basic unit and have fun!

I sold all my fishing gear and started off with a whites coinmaster and a pair of gray ghost headphones. Once the volume was set to comfort level, I was off at the beach digging clad with a homemade scoop. And that first coin was just pretty amazing!

No turning back after that.

Thinking about it a pair of gray ghosts will add a volume limiter to just about any detector. So surface targets don't get annoying LOUD.
Simply crank up sens and the volume control on the machine and your off!

HH
Johnb
November 10, 2014 11:39PM
i agree in principal, as it is all relative!
lets face it,if one is into detecting seriously,then the money
becomes a non-issue,however,lest we not FORGET,you can STILL
have a "barrel of fun" with a "compadre" at $150.00 and change,IF,IF
you KNOW the detector!..'..IF minelab is moving the product at the high number,
then there is little incentive for them to offer a no frills detector!..'
if guys are willing to pay $2,500.00 or so to get it,then a "revised" edition may be years away,
or never considered at all...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 11, 2014 12:06AM
If you know where to shop a new CTX 3030 can be had for less than $1,900.00 . Still a lot of money but better than full retail .......
November 11, 2014 07:11AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> You Know whats funny Bama...Years ago George payne
> put the surface blanker on some of his unit's...
>
> it was selectable...to say 2 or 4 inches.. it was
> set to be most accurate for coins and worked off
> the meter if a target was a coin and it was in
> your setting window it blanked....you could blank
> out the 4 inch probably clad dime and dig the 6
> inch hopefullysilver dime.
>
> I know of no other designer doing this now...but
> back then it was to dig the silver and not the
> surface clad..Silver by then was out fo production
> for 20 years so was deeper than the modern
> clad....yet there was still plenty of silver so
> the simple idea worked for awhile for the average
> weekend hunter..
>
> Detecting has changed so much .....
>
> sorry i didnt answer question but im sure with
> some thought process its doable!
>
> Keith
Keith, Thanks for your reply. I wish someone would cycle the George Payne headphones back thru again. I think it would help me a lot. I have an E-trac and a CTX3030 and they are not designed to do what I'm asking. I feel sure that any detector manufacture could add this feature. Not sure how much added cost. Also any headphone manufacture can add this feature but would only sell to detector owners that have variable depth audio. I know that my CTX3030 and E-trac has this feature and the CZ3D that I sold had it. Not sure how many other units have it or if there is enough incentive for headphone manufactures to justify. Also, I think the detector manufactures could accomplish this in a different way by having two coils operating at different frequencies, with one coil set at full power (say12" deep) the other adjustable from say 0 to 50% of full power....50% = 5 inches deep penetration.... 40%= 4 inches...30%=3 in..ect. Now with a (research and development) comparator circuit that compares these two signals. Now think about this, I want to here the signal response (target) that only the deep coil detects. I know that the signal response is very complex with phase shifts and all that is involved but what I'm saying is that if this comparator circuit sees both target response at the same time, then it is a shallow target and I don't want to here it. I think, tell me if I'm wrong, the biggest obstacle for engineers is overcoming difficulties caused by ground minerals. I feel that someone will have to come up with a new way to get around this problem. Someone thinking out of the box needs to overcome these problems because as time progresses it becomes harder and harder to find good targets. Thanks for all the good input.
November 11, 2014 07:32AM
silverhound Wrote:
> If you know where to shop a new CTX 3030 can be
> had for less than $1,900.00 . Still a lot of money
> but better than full retail .......

yeah! i know this!..but still way too high!
they can produce 'em for shorter money but they choose not to
because they don't have to!..way it is!..supply and demand!
revising the design to produce the "basic" great qualities of the detector
is not part of their marketing strategy

(h.h.!)
j.t.