Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My G2 is on the way back from First Texas....question....NasaTom?

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My G2 is on the way back from First Texas....question....NasaTom?
November 23, 2014 01:03AM
Along with anyone else who is 'in the know'. I was told that they "re-calibrated the coil". What does that mean? I thought that the coil was comprised of two sets of wires....transmit and receiver wires.....and after the wires were wound.......they were buried in epoxy. I am just trying to enlarge my knowledge of Metal Detector technical terminology. Can anyone help?
Re: My G2 is on the way back from First Texas....question....NasaTom?
November 23, 2014 01:22AM
They did not calibrate the coil, they calibrated the electronics to the coil for peak performance. That is often why the stock coil performs better than an aftermarket coil.

Tom in SC
November 23, 2014 01:48AM
I suspect the electronic 'plug' on the top of the coil...... just aft of the stem mount..... was replaced/repaired.
November 23, 2014 04:14PM
Quote:"they calibrated the electronics to the coil"

I'm going to disagree here. That's one thing most manufacturers avoid - matching coil to machine. For one thing, it means if you fit a different coil, or replace your original, it might not work to its best potential. Instead, they calibrate the machine to a particular tolerance, and make the coils to a particular spec, and then they all are interchangeable.
The coil can be 'tweeked' at a later date, it's not 100% sealed up, the rear cover hides the fine-tuning bits. So it is viable to open it, readjust and seal up again.

There is a thread on here about coil calibration.
Here:
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 04:19PM by Pimento.
November 23, 2014 04:53PM
I guess that I should have sent both coils. Felix told me to make sure that one of the coils was on the unit when I sent it. So I sent the one that was already installed. The 11 inch coil. I also have a Fisher 10x5 inch DD coil that also ran erratically on this G2. I could twist the unit with EITHER coil in the air and it would start falsing and 'cuttin up'.....unlike any G2 I have had before. I was mainly going to use the 10 x 5 DD coil on the G2. May have to send it back. But then again......it may work perfectly when I recieve it back.
Anyway, the unit gets here tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it is fully repaired. I had to send my Omega back twice to get it repaired. I imagine that they a re now swamped with F75's getting upgraded. This is NOT a FISHER Customer Service rant. Not at all. It is simply inconvenient to send the unit back twice. A properly working G2 should run quietlly with the 11 inch stock coil OR the 10x5 DD coil (Fisher coil made for Gold Bug Pro/G2).
I appreciate all of the feedback.
PS: The phrase "re-calibrated the coil" was the very words that Felix used.
Happy detecting!