Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

On the DEUS anyone Know why it does this ((Hello Tom!!))

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
On the DEUS anyone Know why it does this ((Hello Tom!!))
December 02, 2014 10:11PM
I did a quick video to show what im talking about..

in certain ferrous non ferrous alignments the DEUS down averages it so seems..

its something that has perplexed me since I first got one...

We all know in the dirt it unmask well above ,,,, yet why does it do this?

[www.youtube.com]

Keith
Re: On the DEUS anyone Know why it does this ((Hello Tom!!))
December 03, 2014 12:02AM
Don't know the reason why but I have dug good finds that were reading far lower i.e.. from one of my post a few days ago.......... Screen was showing 3 to 18 on various sweeps with very broken high tone. Every sweep once speed was adjusted seemed to provide scratchy high tone. Dug the button at approx 4 inches. The button ID was significantly higher on top of the ground in a more sanitized environment. I just went out in my yard and tried a similar experiment as yours. My nail was a roofing nail, not as long as the one in your test. It did ID 6 when swept soley. Adding a clad dime to the mix and sweeping long ways with 11" coil in reactivity 3, I got a high tone, broken in fact. The ole horseshoe was switching sides.. A very diggable signal for sure and for those that don't dig weaker signals that show the tip of the horseshoe switching sides are maybe leaving good targets in the ground. I have only dug one good target with deus with the horsehsoe switching sides while sweeping.

Here's another one of my previous post with observations of down averaging.

I was detecting today in a field. Settings were as follows at the time of this target discovery: Sens 95, 0 disc, reactivity 0, notch 00-06, 8 freq, 3 tones (tone 1 200, tone 2 200, tone 3 791 with the break set at 40), auto tracking all with stock coil. I get this signal, sounded pretty good but read 4. Switched freq to 8 and same thing read 4 with most swings. Dug the target and it was about the size of the hull on a 5mm rimfire cartridge if you have ever seen one of those (slightly bigger than a 22 rimfire magnum). It started raining on me so I got in truck and the rain stopped in a few minutes. I got to thinking about the target with its correponding readout on the deus. So I swept the target on top of the ground with the above settings on both 12 freq and 8. On top of the ground the find would give high tone but bounce between 10 and 40 on 12 freq, on 8 freq setting it would bounce between 11 and 50. I hunted a while longer and got to thinking about the find again and remembered I had one of those little magnetic mechanical fingers in the toolbox on my truck. I checked the find with the magnet and the middle portion seemed to be nonferrous but in one end it was ferrrous and on the other end there was something protruding but very short and the magnet indicated it was ferrous too. Well I got home and got curious and ran my CTX over the find. The CTX would give both a high and low readout but the audio was scrambled. I had never dug a target with a reading like this with the deus. I don't think the find was causing the deus to wrap but instead the ferrous on the target was driving down the number. I say this because it did this in the 8 freq setting. Had it done it only in the 12 freq setting I would say wrap indeed. What I haven't figred out is how did the deus give a high tone and reading of 4 while target was buried especially with 00-06 notch applied? I guess the moral of the story for me is if it sounds good I'm digging regardless of the readout or deus settings. I reallly like this little detector. It's a sneaky devil in the iron pits. I dug 3 good musket balls this week in a patch I've pounded and never struck anything with the V3i, etrac or CTX. I guess we'll find out how good the batteries are on the deus. I am putting a lot of hours on it regularly.
December 03, 2014 01:12AM
Same results with a larger coil on the F75 ?
December 03, 2014 02:38AM
"The ole horseshoe was switching sides" This is to me one of the most underused functions of the Deus. On the Deus it is telling ya something. If I'm getting a blip on either side back and forth I dig it. It has been good stuff many many times. Two years ago when I got the Deus I was freshwater beach hunting. There were places under the sand 6-8 inches deep that once I started pulling older coins a plenty on heavily detected areas and they were what was mentioned here, switching sides, I realized why. I had been over these areas with several detectors and pretty much nothing. When I would dig the coins or jewelry with the Deus and scan the hole again it would kick the horseshoe to the ferrous side nails, iron, rust, Dark Red Clay, IDK but the machine does not get fooled hardly at all in that instance. TID numbers well that's another story. Those little chirps mean a lot with this machine.
December 03, 2014 02:59AM
Its not that im worried about the machines ability in iron I just find it strange and maybe its meant to do that??

It finds plenty in iron sites..

Silverhound Im sure the large coil will not hit that on the F75..Sort of surprised the small coil did i was just going to show some averaging hopefully above nail reading not below...

It could be the large coil on the DEUS being overwhelmed and treating it the nail like mineral sceanrio.That would cause down averaging.we have to remember the DEUS behaves different than most in mineral with its ground bal technology....

I posted this video not to insult the DEUS but to get us thinking..

I have my thougths I wanted to see others..

I think it shows the Ground bal link to target I.D on the DEUS in an unique way..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2014 03:04AM by Keith Southern.
December 03, 2014 03:03AM
Ah the nuances of machines, that's what makes it fun!
December 03, 2014 04:27PM
Please try the test again with the deus set up in 18 khz manual GB, Audio Full Tone, Disc 0, Reactivity 3 and Silencer -1.
December 03, 2014 04:37PM
I would ask andy on the other forum he wrote the book I'll post your question if it's OK with you Keith

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 03, 2014 05:36PM
I've done that test before Jace..

it gives a lower tone for the Co locate than the nail by itself...

Keith
December 04, 2014 02:08AM
My Deus does just like yours with all combinations of frequencies and settings I could dream up lol . It is a strange phenomena for sure considering it loves to up average so many in ground targets at depth ....
December 04, 2014 03:05AM
Hey Lawrenzo...

If you dont mind dont post this on the other forum...

It may come out as something its not intended to be...

Weird things can happen on the sponsored forums about certian things...

Its not a fault of the DEUS its just something I dont rightly grasp...in the dirt and things will change again....

Heck all machines with large coils on that test may do weird things..that's why it so hard to hear...

you want to Know a machine that will hear that target with a large coil....a tejon with 8x9 will hear it with disc set to just reject the nail..

Keith
December 05, 2014 02:16AM
What first comes to mind (due to EM conductive wrap-around) is........ Ground Balance settings.

Then .... what may 'appear' to be ""normal phase-shift"" mineralized dirt handling...... via how we 'percieve' general Grnd Bal functions,,,,,,,,,,,............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the XP series is quite a different approach.
December 05, 2014 02:20PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Lawrenzo...
>
> If you dont mind dont post this on the other
> forum...
>
> It may come out as something its not intended to
> be...
>
> Weird things can happen on the sponsored forums
> about certian things...
>
> Its not a fault of the DEUS its just something I
> dont rightly grasp...in the dirt and things will
> change again....
>
> Heck all machines with large coils on that test
> may do weird things..that's why it so hard to
> hear...
>
> you want to Know a machine that will hear that
> target with a large coil....a tejon with 8x9 will
> hear it with disc set to just reject the nail..
>
>
> Keith

hey keith, what size nails are you using in the tests? because i am testing out my tesoro vaqeuro on these tests and i am getting some really good results thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2014 02:22PM by skinner.
December 05, 2014 03:47PM
Andy & Charlene Sabisch recently opened a new detecting shop 20 minutes from my home. I spoke to Charlene yesterday morning and Andy should be in his store on Saturday. If Andy has time I will talk to him about the OP video. 
Duke
December 05, 2014 04:02PM
12 d nail...yes Tesoro hot machines do well on these test...and in real world nail bed hunts..

add a 5x10 to the arsenal on your vaquero...it makes the tejon in deadly..

Keith
December 05, 2014 04:03PM
Thanks Tom...

Yes i think it's in the Ground Bal system also..

Keith
December 05, 2014 04:04PM
Sounds Good Duke...

thanks.

Keith
Has anything more been learned about this situation since it was last discussed?
December 13, 2014 12:27PM
A very interesting post/thread.