Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Goodmore have you............

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Goodmore have you............
December 10, 2014 07:52PM
ordered your Fors Core setup yet???
Re: Goodmore have you............
December 10, 2014 11:52PM
No I'm still mulling things over. I have been spending a little money buying things for my Sovereign GT. The accessories for it are getting harder to find. So when I see something I want I just jump on it. I got another 12 x 10 SEF for it just this week. I love that wet sand hunting. The Fors has my interest for sure. I was wondering how easy that small coil is to purchase if I decide to just get the detector and not the entire kit. I really enjoy the Deus and I like to use it when ever I can. But I would like to have a little more punch on depth every now and then. When I first started detecting many years ago I would stay on the fringes of the nail infested sites. To be honest I just didn't have the detector to hunt them. But the Deus and now maybe the Fors Core have me looking for those sites. Maybe after a few more youtube videos I'll make the move.
December 11, 2014 01:51PM
Well if punch in iron with depth is your concern, I'll make you a video in a nasty place with the headphones off so you can hear the iron and see what it picks out. I'm amazed at how in iron it locks onto a conductive target.
December 11, 2014 02:33PM
Be aware that it does "downgrade" the ID numbers and tones in mineralized ground. It will start reading coins and such other non ferrous items as iron. In my soil it didn't take much depth for it to start doing this either. I could hit all items in my test garden in GEN mode which is all metal. In the two disc modes, the deepest target I got to register without an iron grunt was a 4 inch quarter. Which means...In disc mode it is very easy to ignore the iron grunts and concentrate only on the higher tones. But the iron grunts could very well be non ferrous items that are being IDed incorrect. It is soil depending. I can't remember where it GBed at in my soil...I want to say it was at 70 something but can't recall 100%. It's a great machine though. Built very well. Probably handles neutral to moderate mineralization very well. A lot like the T2 except for better in iron. Much faster recovery.
December 11, 2014 04:39PM
Daniel, which vlf id's targets the deepest in your nasty soil? and at what depth? just curious
December 11, 2014 05:25PM
Was that the 5" coil on the 4" quarter?
December 11, 2014 06:30PM
Daniel you might live in the worst minerals in the country in Tennessee. I haven't tried the stock or large coil yet. I tend to stay away from the dark red clay as it's a pain to dig in. I'll be trying the stock coil out in the morning and Saturday.
December 12, 2014 03:02AM
No, it was the stock coil like the 8x12 size or whatever the exact dimensions of it are. I didn't try it in my red clay sites. Just my yard and a few sites around town. Soil colors vary a lot here. One place I took it was dark brown soil but with a lot of rocks. Seems like the CoRe ground balanced in the 50 range there. Then we have reddish dirt but it is not clay. It's more of a powder texture. It's the hardest to get detectors to work in and what I have most of. The problem here is that the ground can change rapidly in short distance. It can go from light brown to dark brown to red in a small area. When they plow the fields you can look across them in the sunshine and see the spots it changes in. The worse I've hunted in is the powdered red dirt. It's almost like rust colored. Very very similar to the red dirt ground in Culpeper, Virginia that you hear so much about.

Deepest VLF machines I've had in DISC mode were a few odd ball machines that never were super popular. The CoinStrike was the first break through machine for me. I could get down to around 8 inches if that machine was setup correctly. Had to do some tweaking on the threshold setting on it to get it there. The next was a Troy X5. It done very well here with the right settings. The latest was the Blisstool. All 3 of them were notorious for giving false good signals on iron targets. Any machine I've ran that was good at knocking out iron has done terrible in the soil here. I always figured it was the soil has a natural iron content and the great discrimination circuit machines just struggle here in disc mode. The deepest VLF machines have always been machines with good all
metal modes to run in. That's why I keep coming back to a F75 or T2. Neither do super well in disc mode here...just average to anything else. But the all metal is where they shine. All except the updated DST F75 I just got. Lol.
December 12, 2014 03:55AM
The best all metal machine to hunt in bad dirt I have found for the real deep stuff in bad dirt is the MXT and the 5900..

MXT can go crazy deep with the 10x12 SEF....14 inch bullets. In red clay..

Keith
December 12, 2014 01:19PM
Theold MXT is hard to beat in any soil. Whites has a winner with it. I have had one sence they came out, about 14 years and have never had any trouble with it. If something dose happen i will get the MXT Pro to have the back light. Don,t need the toins, can,t here them any way. I have hard that the Whites headphones make the MXT come alive, i think i will try a set. Has anyone used them? Do they do a good job with toins?