Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom - Good Target Tone

Posted by dgc 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
dgc
Tom - Good Target Tone
March 31, 2010 02:42AM
In your video you state that you will be passing up some high tones that the viewer might think bear more investigation. Indeed you do just that. Obviously you have developed a keen ear for a "good target" signal. As I watched I heard high tones that would stop me for further investigation, yet many times you moved right on. Would it be possible to display the rise and fall of a good target signal on an audio spectrum analyzer and compare it to say, an iron false signal? When you do another one maybe you could include such a demonstration.

Also,if you know, is the Fisher F75 confidence meter based on some kind of audio spectrum analysis or is there something being analyzed prior to the audio in the circuit? Have you done any testing on the accuracy and reliability of the confidence meter?.
Re: Tom - Good Target Tone
April 01, 2010 09:12PM
In my headphones........the high-tone audio hits were very short/choppy in my headphones..........BUT.......in the video...........the AGC (Automatic Gain Control) ""enhanced"" these audio hits......and......on video....made them sound great! I did not hear these targets this way; whilst detecting.

It is my strong recommendation to ignore the Conf bargraph on the F75......ESPECIALLY if you are relic hunting in nail/iron infested areas. Now.........that being said............IF you detect a shallow/loud high-tone (coin sounding) target.......and it sounds fairly good to you........but the Confidence bargraph is a low/no reading.....it's most probably a steel bottle cap.

It's principle of operation is based upon signal strength, 'clean signature' of target, lack of co-located targets (mixed conductivity)....and a few other inputs. It is VERY accurate in 'textbook perfect' scenarios; however, not many places in the real world pose such conditions.