Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Troy Shadow x5

Posted by Blackadder43 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Troy Shadow x5
April 03, 2010 03:08PM
Hi all i have seen one of these for sale and wondered if anyone has any experience of them.
So rumours i have read and need confirmed

They are good beach wet sand machines?
They were built by Fisher to Troys specs?
The later serial numbered ones are better?
They are holding their prices well even though they are no longer being produced
Troy is working on an updated version

Many thanks for any help

The one i have seen advertised is approx $750, seems quite a price realy.
Re: Troy Shadow x5
April 03, 2010 03:21PM
I had one didn't like it no VDI was not deep was not fast like the LTD F75 or 8000. It is a good relic machine but if you are really looking at an all around machine then look at fisher the fisher is not a great beach machine but Tom would know more about that. For that kind of money get a fisher

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 03, 2010 06:17PM
I have each of the Troys, X2, X3, and X5. It is a good detector. The X5 was made by Fisher and has a lifetime warranty for the original owner. They work fine on the beach. They have very good depth, and as to speed, the Shadow is often the machine of choice in competition hunts. The higher serial number X5's have had a mod done at the factory that made them more stable. It will find small gold well also. All of that said, it does not have tone i.d., or visual. There are more modern machines available with newer technology, but it is capable. A lot of relic hunters seem to like the X5.
Personally, I am really enjoying my new F75 LTD, which has become my detector of choice, especially with all the wisdom from Tom relating to it and other Fishers.

HH,

Mike
April 03, 2010 09:22PM
Hi,

I too have both X2 and X5 and really like them. I would normally hunt with discrimination at 3 3/4 and all I had to do, to hunt saltwater beach, was set disc up to 4. Very lite weight and weather proof. When done at the the beach I would put it under the bather's shower and rinse it off. Comp. hunt it was hard to beat and to this point is the only VLF detector that could pick up diamond stud earrings at 3 inches or so and coins in the 12 inch raange! I'm also a little lazy and like to have the meter to help decide whether I go to ther knee to dig. At the beach I dig every signal and use long handle scoop so I don't have to kneel.
Wally
April 03, 2010 10:27PM
Thanks for the advise guys.
I am looking for a wet sand (UK beaches) specific machine and this popped up on my research.
Have since been informed that there are better machines specificaly for wet sand hunting.
Also i think the price was to much...
On with the hunt ;-)
April 04, 2010 12:10AM
No
Yes
Yes
Somewhat
Unknown
April 04, 2010 01:02PM
I still have my X3 and love it for what I use it for - mostly for competition hunting, but it does a good job in the dry sand of our beach and hunting inland when I just want a light, easy to use turn on and go machine. I haven't used the X3 much in the wet sand here because I have a much better machine for that purpose (GT), but it seemed to work ok. I just get better results down there with a DD coil. Setting the discrimination low - say 3.5 to 3.75 - results in very good depth in my experiences. I was told they were built to a higher component specs and that's one of the reasons that it can run on a single 9 volt alkaline, but can't confirm that, maybe one of the engineer types here can.
I'd use it more, but I tend to favor a 'threshold' type machine. I like the feedback of knowing that it's tuned and working well at all times.
The other questions haven been address well by others. One last thing, last time I spoke with Troy, he was working on an updated model and had hopes of putting it on the street, but had many obstacles to overcome, and he was having doubts if he could overcome them. That included finding a manufacturing partner.
Hope that helps.
April 04, 2010 01:44PM
1 to 300 needed a mod...Troy can tell you if mod was done.600 on threshold loudness was locked in as knob could be easily bumped...certainly not a plus as 1 to 599 it could be manually set. Heck tough to beat a CZ on a wet salt sand beach.Like any were hot ones so depth varied...$500 is more like it for a used one but opinions vary...Imagine Troy may come out with another unit but only speculation...
April 04, 2010 04:27PM
I still prefer my X5 to my F75, more stable and better pinpoint.

The only benefit I've found with the F75 is the low tone for iron, although is is often wrong, especially on deep iron. But I guess large, deep iron will fool any machine now and again.