Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

big time sink rate...

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
big time sink rate...
April 05, 2010 01:43PM
My buddy and I were hunting at a school built in the 50's yesterday. We found lots of clad but no silver or even wheaties. The weird thing was some of the coins I found were really deep, like dimes at 8 inches minted in the late ninetys. I was using my LTD and every time I would get a deep signal only to discover it would be a modern coin. I was running it in boost for a while but it was just to noisy even with the sensitivity at 70. The soil was very rich and soft. I guess that kind of explains it. Maybe we'll go back again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2010 04:39PM by Aaron.
Re: big time sink rate...
April 05, 2010 08:01PM
Rich, black organic soil has a severe sink-rate.
April 06, 2010 01:59AM
Yes..thats exactly what it looked like. I'm going to go back and try again with the LTD in boost and also bring the 1266x Magnum. Theres got to be silver there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2010 02:19AM by Aaron.
April 06, 2010 11:06PM
In Florida.......at a 1883 park......the worn-out silver Roosevelt dimes (dropped in the late 1960's) can be found at the 12" mark......yep,,,, in the rich black organic soil. Hmmmmmmmm..... wonder where the Mercury dimes are at! How about the Barber's. How about the Seated dimes!
April 07, 2010 03:10AM
Out of reach...thats where! Man, thats a bummer.
dgc
April 07, 2010 03:48AM
I do my share of "out of the box" thinking so here goes. Would it be possible to drive two metal probes deep into the ground say 20 feet apart and, with a separate transmitter operating at a metal detector frequency, transmit "pulsed" continuous wave signals into the probes? Now, with a detector set up only to receive signals, sweep the area around and between the probes for targets? The probes would be driven in deeply enough, hopefully, to prevent reception of the transmitter signal directly by the metal detector.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2010 03:51AM by dgc.
April 07, 2010 01:41PM
One certainly wonders how deep coins sink..Bulldozers redoing a baseball field due to drainage problems scraped off 8-10 inches...Found a Barber quarter 8 inches deep...I would think originally 15-16 inches deep and out of range of present detectors...besides just too deep for the average detectorist to dig lest he uses a shovel...not a common digger...
April 07, 2010 03:20PM
I find fringe targets in bad soil are dig all and hope for the best. We just can't get to the next few inches that can open a lot of cool finds

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 07, 2010 03:22PM
I read that if you hunt after a lightning storm you can dig deeper targets.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

April 07, 2010 03:23PM
I think Tom uses a shovel most of the time

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

April 07, 2010 03:42PM
Using a little shovel like Tom uses is definately easier.I bought and I found it a lot easier. And I know its better for the grass however there are some parks that really frown on that. I just bought a lesche sampson shovel, it has a smaller blade on it, and it works great too and a little more inconspicuous.
April 08, 2010 01:07AM
Years ago.... I borrowed one of KELLYCO's 20-rod,,,,drive into the ground,,,,,,connect to car battery......and waited. Then...........detected. No noticable improvement.......with a very slight perception that iron was being detected deeper/better.
dgc
April 08, 2010 02:24AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Years ago.... I borrowed one of KELLYCO's
> 20-rod,,,,drive into the ground,,,,,,connect to
> car battery......and waited.
> Then...........detected. No noticable
> improvement.......with a very slight perception
> that iron was being detected deeper/better.

Not familiar with this Tom. What's a 20-rod?

In my post above I was suggesting a method to get a more powerful transmitter signal deeper into the ground by using a separate transmitter. Then with a detector built only to receive signals, sweeping the area for the deep targets.
April 08, 2010 08:59PM
There were 20 rods that you would drive into the ground.......then energize all 20 of them with your car battery. .... It simply did not work.
April 09, 2010 02:20AM
The 20 rod test gave me a fond memory.
We used to get nightcrawlers & worms out of the ground for fishing bait by introducing an electric current into a water saturated ground. The difference was we pluged into an AC outlet and ran the hot lead to a pointed metal rod, pushing the rod into the wet earth, those worms would fly out of the ground...pick em up...go trout fishing. Anyway.. I have found seated & standing liberty quaters in the woods @ only 2 inches deep.Neither were under any old trees... The same area, I've dug large cents @ 8 inches. .go figure.

As far as shovels go, I bought a long straight handled spade shovel (6"x8" blade), cut the handle to length then added a "D" handle to it from another old shovel. From tip to handle it measures 40", perfect for my height. I dont have to bend over to dig. The "D" handel is good for tamping the soil & sod plug. I only use my hand digger on near surface finds or to pick in the hole. Using the shovel, at least for me, makes for a neater cleaner plug that goes back without a trace. Homeowners are amazed & I guess a little relieved.
April 09, 2010 02:35AM
Nice shovel tip, thanks!