Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deus Question

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deus Question
December 26, 2014 03:04AM
Hunted and old area today and found a spot that is filled with nails must have been a house there. (Found a tea pot and a frying pan and a horseshoe all old). The nails rang out like machine guns. I use two tones so the grunts were the iron and some nails. Most of the other nails came in as my second tone. I had disc at about 8 so how do you hunt an area like that. You can't just dig nails all day how do you find the relics. A lot of the nails came in all over the place how many of you dig the low numbers if they sound really good?

I was thinking, how about a small coil for this area and a few others I hunt that are just loaded with iron and everthing inbetween. I was hunting a railroad depot in Sutter Creek and the Deus was sounding off on everything I could not tell one good target from a bad one. Numbers on iron all over the place also. After digging trash for an hour I had to give up. A lot of the targets were in the 80s but I think maybe the rain has effected the ground. Would love to have had a small coil for todays hunt..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Deus Question
December 26, 2014 03:09AM
Start with the GMP program or Deus Fast and don't modify anything

swing fairly slow (not crawling slow but not a brisk sweep either)

you'll have 3 tones - dig all the high/er tones above iron grunting

after 25/30 hrs of running these programs - you should be able to start tweaking things a bit but you'll see your finds increase a 100 fold!
December 26, 2014 03:11AM
Im always in 2 tone...I never take the disc above 6.3...on some nail riden sites i can get down to 2 on the disc if the nails are small and listen close..I run silncer on -1..

dont pay atention to the I.D. in those sites Go by the quality of the high tone...one thing that can help you is run the silncer up to like 2 and hunt and as you go along slowly drop it back as the right sound starts to burn an audio image into your head...

The DEUS can be noisy in iron but tight quality round type high tones are what your after even if there only one way hits..ignore the high sparky spitty high tones..if you chase those it will drive you mad....

You have to get your ear to be the discriminator not the machine...

Keith
December 26, 2014 03:42AM
Lawrenzo, some sites are so littered/contaminated, it may take many hunts with deus configured in many ways to hunt thoroughly. Try a disc setting of 10 for starters, 12khz, reactivity 3 silencer 0, iron vol off. Watch your sweep speed, not too fast. The good short high tone with some repeatability are what your looking for. Big iron may/will still sound off. Don't worry about trying to get 4 way hit. A lot of good targets just won't, even with the fast Deus. You can run in 18khz, this will make some of the nails even sound a little better at times. A 9" coil works better in the worst of sites. As you progress you can start running your disc down incrementally until you start feeling uncomfortable with what your hearing. If you think the site is still overwhelming with the above settings you can always use some notch.
December 28, 2014 09:00PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The DEUS can be noisy in iron but tight quality
> round type high tones are what your after even if
> there only one way hits..ignore the high sparky
> spitty high tones..if you chase those it will
> drive you mad....

Keith, you like doing videos. Here's a challenge <g>. Ok, a request.
PLEASE do a video on audio signals and narrate it using the same adjectives you use in posting.
Maybe if we can hear what you are describing, we can better understand it.

To be honest, I have a hard time understanding the Deus audio. I've noticed the shape of the sound changing significantly (I know the volume rises and falls with distance from the target) just by swinging the coil higher or lower over the same target laying on the surface of the ground. I need to do some more testing on this. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks, Keith, MichiganRelicHunter, and tnsharpshooter for your input. I'll put it to use.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
December 28, 2014 09:45PM
NCWayne:
I agree a video would help. You could get a piece of styrofoam. You can place some nails, ect and a nonferrous object in many configurations using the foam. Try some small iron and medium iron. Take a pair of hemostats and insert any way you wish. Sweep the deus and play with the disc setting and reactivity, and silencer settings. Using the foam you will get the ferrous and nonferrous off of the same plane. Granted the ground matrix will be left out of the experiment but you should still be able to draw some conclusions based on what you hear and see with Deus. Also don't discount using steel bbs and maybe a cut off paperclip. You'll want to set your experiment up so you can remove the nonferrous object leaving the ferrouss. In doing so you may be better able to pick up on the tone the Deus provides. Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 09:51PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 29, 2014 01:58AM
I have been making videos and just not editing them yet. I will make one that show how nails sound and post it next

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

December 29, 2014 02:51AM
Lowboy...have you tried full tones yet? Finally found the settings that click with me at my sites...zero disc,full tones,reactivity 3-4, silencer -1 ,12k or 18k,depending on site. Went to that spot you and Crosby joined me at...pulled ALOT of targets out by where you got the iron, and you know how much iron is there!Ray
December 29, 2014 04:36PM
I have tried full tones and at the sight I was at it was too much two seems to work. I ones had detector that only had one tone and if it was clean you would dig it and I found a lot of silver that way. I will try full tones again at the area I have been hitting and see if I can find a way to keep up with it.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

December 30, 2014 04:43AM
It may work better for me coming from using a Sovereign. The full tones seem like the signals come through better...not as clipped...easier to tell a false.