Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ 3D the difference between all metal and 0 discrim

Posted by Blackadder43 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ 3D the difference between all metal and 0 discrim
April 11, 2010 10:46PM
This is probaly a silly and very basic question, but i got to ask.

Ok on the cz 3d apart from the fact that in 0 discrim you get the 4 tones and in all metal you get the 1 beep what other differences are there?

Is there any significant depth difference?
Does it overcome any masking in any way?
Will all metal detect smaller things deeper?
Which performs the best or is it situational?

I have hunted in all metal and once balanced and sensitivity was sorted it "felt" like i wasnt getting as deep as i do in 0 discrim....
When you do hunt in all metal do you set it so you have some threshold sound?
or run it silent?

I have permission to hunt on a farm near me that has Roman history around the area, i am considering hunting in all metal and digging everything.
The first field i have is pasture but was ploughed many years ago.....there shouldnt realy be any rubbish except obviously years of farming machinery being on it so i am expecting plenty of iron and stuff....

If there is no depth or performance difference between the 2 modes then i suppose it would be wise to hunt in 0 discrim just for the 4 tones?
Re: CZ 3D the difference between all metal and 0 discrim
April 12, 2010 12:55AM
MOST CZ's.........in general, ascertain more depth in the ID mode. I happen to have one CZ (out of hundreds tried) that is actually deeper in the auto-tune mode. Soooooooo , , this is where a test-garden is important......so as for you to ascertain exacting answers. BUT.......once again.......(and I'm willing to bet)....your CZ is probably slightly deeper in the ID mode. Usually the difference is quite minimal.

Due to a reason that you would not expect........the ID mode is more intelligible BECAUSE......a weak signal in the auto-tune mode is quite hard to hear; whilst, in the ID mode.......it's a much louder/intelligible response.

Unmasking is absolutely no different.....between/vs the two different modes.

Small targets/large targets.......low conductors/high conductors.......there is absolutely no performance differential between the two modes.

IF you happen to be on a wet salt beach.....or lumpy/variable/continuously changing mineralization dirt.......the unit in the ID mode may 'false' louder. In the all-metal mode.......it's easier to discern weak signal responses from these mild changing differentials whilst in the all-metal/auto-tune mode.

IF you decide.....for what ever reason/justification......to run the auto-tune mode......you should always run with a bit of a threshold hum. This will normally best be achieved by a Sens setting of '10' and a Volume of '10'. Any reduced volume.....and the weak signals virtually have no audio for you to audibly detect. You may find that TOO much iron in a roman/greek field will prompt you to switch over to the ID 0-Disc mode....... so you can hear ALL targets.....and especially hear iron as a 'low' tone.

Tom
April 12, 2010 08:07AM
And that is exactly why this site is the best out there for straight talking spot on information.

Many thanks Tom, that explanation is exactly what i was looking for.
April 12, 2010 09:35AM
Just out of interest i do hear and read of people having their machines tweaked.

What is the best " test " to determine how hot my machine is?

keep in mind i am in the UK and our coinage is different.

What coin/coins should i use as a standard to do any tests for depth?

Can these machines be tweaked to gain more depth?

O and one more thing, i have put a coil cover on my 8" spider coil and now i cant get the damn thing off for cleaning lol
Any advise?
April 13, 2010 12:57AM
Can you access a U.S. dime?
April 13, 2010 06:30AM
Actualy thinking about it i do have a friend who often visits the states.
Time to give him a call.....