Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Amateur Gold miner Dead

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Amateur Gold miner Dead
January 03, 2015 12:31AM
LAURENS, S.C. — Authorities say the body of an amateur gold miner was found in a Laurens County home among toxic chemicals that could be explosive.

Multiple media outlets report the chemicals found at the scene Tuesday afternoon are used to separate gold from soil. The man's identity has not been released, but officials say he was known to dig for gold in the area. The home is located outside Sumter National Forest near Clinton. Investigators don't think his death is suspicious.

Deputies suspect the man died from chemical exposure. An autopsy is scheduled Wednesday.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I also dabble in gold hunting, I just wanted to post this to alert everyone to be careful when using any chemicals for any reason. I work just a few miles from where this happened.

Tom in SC
Re: Amateur Gold miner Dead
January 03, 2015 12:37AM
cyanide?
January 03, 2015 03:13AM
cyanide and mercury are the two I know of. I dont screw around with them
January 03, 2015 03:39AM
Does he dump that in the creeks?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 03, 2015 04:06AM
No Lowboy.
January 03, 2015 04:16AM
He might have been burning some mercury amalgam off with nitric and taken a big whiff of the vapors down wind. I have heard that can kill you or make so stupid you won't remember your name but I don't recall who told me that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2015 04:17AM by shoveler.
January 03, 2015 04:19AM
most likely Cyanide. Steve h would know bout that more than me...Im just. hsppy to pop out a picker,lol.
January 04, 2015 08:24AM
Nobody cooks off amalgam indoors. Well, hopefully no one.

The "toxic chemicals that could be explosive" would be his gold leaching solutions, which could be either Agua Regia, Potassium Iodine or Potassium Cyanide.
I wonder how much gold he had in solution? I wonder if anyone is going to check, or just dispose of them?

Potassium Cyanide is really out of favor when you can use Potassium Iodine much more safely. Of course, hard cores still like Agua Regia, and Mercury still works wonders on fines. You just don't cook it off indoors.

Might have just had a heart attack.

HH
Mike
January 04, 2015 11:30PM
Thank you DeathRay. There is NO evidence/mention,or hint that he "dumps that in creeks".
There are responsible gold miners just like there are responsible MD'ers. And irresponsible ones on both sides.
January 05, 2015 02:20AM
This ole boy may have been cooking something besides Gold too???
January 06, 2015 01:37AM
Hi,,,hey thanks for the alert....I take it he was using these chemicals inside...It was probably concentrates and not just plain soil...I'm glad he did not dump that toxic stuff in that creek too....JJ