Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Depth to be displayed in inches in the upcoming RACER

Posted by Nokta Detectors 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Depth to be displayed in inches in the upcoming RACER
January 05, 2015 01:57PM
As a few members on this forum as well as others suggested the depth to be displayed in inches, I discussed it with my team and they have already added this to the software.
The depth can be displayed in cms or inches in the upcoming RACER. The manual will explain how it can be switched from one to the other.
Re: Depth to be displayed in inches in the upcoming RACER
January 05, 2015 02:08PM
You guys continue to impress with the way you listen to the consumer. My one advice...please make sure when the Racer rolls out ,it is working as it should...recent rollouts by Fisher and others have not gone well. Good luck and looking forward to the new machine! Ray
January 05, 2015 02:23PM
Very well done. One other small suggestion is if the depth reading could be calibrated more toward US coinage so as the depth reading be closer.

Not sure what to suggest but seeing as dime size coins are the most found maybe a happy medium of one cent or nickel size.

May be a little late in the game for that kind of changes but just a suggestion.
January 05, 2015 02:45PM
Not complaining at all but I always thought depth reading on any detector was a gimmick. It has to be calibrated to some item, a dime for example. It is not accurate on anything but items similar to the calibration item. Halfway useful for coin hunters perhaps but I hunt jewelry a lot so I just never pay attention to it. To the point that when I do find a coin I am still not paying attention to it. I use modulated audio and just use the audio to gauge depth as best I can, which is better than any depth gauge. That just me, or is a depth gauge a big deal to a lot of people?
January 05, 2015 02:48PM
Weren't we supposed to switch to the metric system 20 years ago?! Lol.... Thanks for keeping us updated on the racer!
January 05, 2015 02:51PM
I never look at depth guage I just go by audio also. I'm very excited about Nokta/Makro I've never seen a company so in tune with its customers in the design phase of a product. This is really exciting times for the detector market.
January 05, 2015 03:05PM
Its useful if you know you're machine, my old explorer 2 (which I scrub the ground w/the coil) is extremely accurate on coins/buttons/mini balls etc. I run gain at max so deep targets dont sound that faint. The depth meter and or raising the coil higher off the ground are helpful for gauging a target.
January 05, 2015 03:14PM
I like to use a metal detector with a traditional ground balanced, threshold based all-metal mode. On all of the better analog machines that I have, the depth gauge is tied into the all-metal mode. I get a better feel of what is underneath the coil when using this mode, I can tell by the modulated audio if the detected target is deep or small. I can trace the outline of the target in this mode to see if it is long or short. I find it very handy to use in this way, but I never believe the depth gauge.
January 05, 2015 03:19PM
Yes I agree that no matter what you use to calibrate any machine with any other size target will not read correctly but a 8"dime reading at 15-16" is not even close.

Heck if we don't care about depth reading why are we worried about if it is in cm or inches?

To me ,minority I know,i use depth reading as another form of disc.in some locations.

Wounded how most would react if future machines come out without a depth gauge at all.

Guess I figure that if its there and I want to use it should at least be closer to right then it is.

Pacman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2015 03:25PM by Pac man.
January 05, 2015 04:42PM
Ive never used a depth gauge on a detector,lol. Modulated audio for me.
January 05, 2015 04:58PM
Hombre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like to use a metal detector with a traditional
> ground balanced, threshold based all-metal mode.
> On all of the better analog machines that I have,
> the depth gauge is tied into the all-metal mode. I
> get a better feel of what is underneath the coil
> when using this mode, I can tell by the modulated
> audio if the detected target is deep or small. I
> can trace the outline of the target in this mode
> to see if it is long or short. I find it very
> handy to use in this way, but I never believe the
> depth gauge.

That's how I like it and the way I do it. I avoid machines that do not have VCO. Sort of feel blind if a deep small target is as loud as a surface target with the same audio sound.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
January 05, 2015 05:40PM
Amazing everyone praising them for offering inch readings. Doesn't matter if it reads more than twice a dimes actual depth as long as it reads it in inches.
Beyond me.
January 05, 2015 06:14PM
its the least of your worrys knowing the depth in inches ,far more important things to concern like the wifi/bluetooth headphones and will they work good .
i never check depths ,i just dig and probe and havent a clue how deep an object was unless it was mega deep .
January 05, 2015 06:28PM
Nokta Detectors Wrote:
> As a few members on this forum as well as others
> suggested the depth to be displayed in inches, I
> discussed it with my team and they have already
> added this to the software.
> The depth can be displayed in cms or inches in the
> upcoming RACER. The manual will explain how it can
> be switched from one to the other.

Anyway you could make it detect by depth rather than conductance. Would rather here the deep targets as high pitch and loud and the shallow targets either discriminated out or as low pitch and soft.
January 05, 2015 06:50PM
Any chance of offering multiple tone option? Say 5 or so with user defined tone breaks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2015 06:53PM by Ferrous Bueller.
January 05, 2015 08:27PM
Great question. At least 4 tones, zinc pennys having a high tone? Not a big deal on older sites, but that's an issue when you coinshoot.
wjs
January 05, 2015 09:16PM
I would love to see one with tones geared towards our coins. Notch discrimination too. I know most aren't a fan of notches but the places I hunt it helps to not have to hear all the pulltabs if I choose not to.
January 06, 2015 02:01AM
Hi,,,,Yeah that depth reading thingy on machines is crazy.........I have never used one yet that's even been remotely accurate in all the eons that I have been detecting..........JJ
January 06, 2015 02:01AM
How about adjustable Modulated audio as not many detectors have this great feature? I would seriously consider one if it did. And leave the color red also please. Thanks.
January 06, 2015 02:18AM
LOL, man too many requests for too many things, your going to scare the rep away, he's going to have to double up on some meds if you keep it up..................

Just one more thing....................................how about......................................

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
January 06, 2015 02:30AM
One more!!! make it tell the difference between a gold ring and a pulltab!LOL.
January 06, 2015 02:42AM
On the deus when I use that to pin point I can tell more about the depth..We know we can only dig so far down but on that machine you can adjust the audio responce so you can hear the deeper targets and know its going to be deep Hope you have iron vol??

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 06, 2015 03:36AM
Yup, I am going to be the only happy guy here. Said it before so will say it again - just give me the FORS CoRe in the Racer box. I can even live with red but please, deep red not fire engine red!

Take all the other suggestions and stick them in the Racer Pro when you have time.
January 06, 2015 05:03AM
Thanks for coming aboard Nokta. You're posts are appreciated. Ready to lay my cash down and buy one. I've got a nice test garden and a few good places to find relics.
Happy New Year!
January 06, 2015 06:54AM
Hello and thank you all (really) for all the interest and the feedback! As we are getting closer to the launch of the product, we cannot really make significant changes in this machine BUT I will share them all with the engineers to be incorporated in the future models.
January 06, 2015 09:44AM
Nokta Detectors Wrote:
> Hello and thank you all (really) for all the
> interest and the feedback! As we are getting
> closer to the launch of the product, we cannot
> really make significant changes in this machine
> BUT I will share them all with the engineers to be
> incorporated in the future models.

I hope your company will consider including a real time "running" depth guage (as well as the pin point depth guage)---and---notch discrimination on a future model.------There are many of us (coin hunters) here in the U.S. that like those two features.-----For the people that don't use those two features---just because they are on the machine does not mean you have to use them.-----IMO, this would give one of your future models a little more appeal and increase sales on them here in the U.S.
January 06, 2015 11:33AM
D&P-OR hit it right. I really would not expect a lot of the changes that have been requested to happen on the Racer. If they did it would not be the Racer any longer.Just take what's already there and make it right and it should be a winner.

But a future top grade machine designed for the coin hunter would be welcome. I understand the need/want for the higher freq.but something lower into the single digits would be a welcome change by many.
January 06, 2015 03:57PM
I would like to see niche detectors. I would like to see a 3 kHz detector with the entire target id range stretched out and devoted to everything from zinc on up. The "Silver Hunter". And a detector designed from the ground up just to hunt jewelry. Yeah, most people talk about wanting machines that do everything but there are a lot of people that only do one type of detecting. Make less expensive units with focused feature sets just for them. Just a thought.
January 06, 2015 04:13PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> I would like to see niche detectors. I would like
> to see a 3 kHz detector with the entire target id
> range stretched out and devoted to everything from
> zinc on up. The "Silver Hunter". And a detector
> designed from the ground up just to hunt jewelry.
> Yeah, most people talk about wanting machines that
> do everything but there are a lot of people that
> only do one type of detecting. Make less expensive
> units with focused feature sets just for them.
> Just a thought.

Great post Steve!!!! That is VERY sensible!!! Seems like every available detector is designed to please as many types of detectorists as possible. But what if the R&D Department had ONE performance objective PER UNIT. Say, deep relics. And one for GOLD. And one for Coins in parks and yards. Etc etc. I see what you are saying Steve and I think that it is a great idea.
January 06, 2015 05:11PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> On the deus when I use that to pin point I can
> tell more about the depth..We know we can only dig
> so far down but on that machine you can adjust the
> audio responce so you can hear the deeper targets
> and know its going to be deep Hope you have iron
> vol?

Lawrenzo, I have a new Deus coming on the on the UPS truck today. I'll be new to detecting with the Deus. Been reading the manual about the pinpointing and I believe it shows 4 modes for pinpointing. Are you referring to mode #2 non-motion audio disc? thanks