Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

maybe i just need ctx

Posted by Nailed-it 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
maybe i just need ctx
January 06, 2015 06:58AM
I don't know..I really clicked with the etrac and have found great some great finds with it. However it does null in heavy iron, I mostly hunt relic screen with TTF and I believe that I have learned to hunt well with it. And I mostly dig iron when I know I'm digging iron, I realize that I am pushing my acceptance of iffy signals to the max. Anyone here transition from the etrac to the 3030? Is the nulling less in heavy iron or small nail beds? Has anyone compared what an iffy signal is on the etrac and is it more clear on a 3030? I hunt mostly old parks.
Re: maybe i just need ctx
January 06, 2015 10:25AM
Both the etrac and ctx will null in iron/trash if you're not running a wide open/zero disc screen.

I came from an etrac to the ctx

You don't really gain much except the target trace feature, combined Fe/Co audio feature, the waterproof feature and a better balanced machine that's less fatiguing on your arm/shoulder somewhat. GPS too but that's nothing I use/care about.

Etrac has way more coil options
January 06, 2015 10:49AM
I went from etrac to ctx and back to etrac. CTX will not stop you from ever digging iron.

IMO if hitting heavy iron, keep the etrac and get a Deus or another heavy iron machine. Way more versatility with an etrac and a Deus than just a CTX.
January 06, 2015 10:54AM
If you hunt in TTF the majority of the time I will tell you that the CTX is much better with the combined mode. With TTF you need to watch the screen and actually concentrate on it observing every high tone. With the combined mode of the CTX you don't need to even watch the screen. The ability to adjust the tone breaks and tone frequencies are one of the best features of the CTX. And I'll add that the CTX is much better at recovery speed and has the ability to display multiple targets on the screen. I know that the E Trac has been out for quit some time and people have used it to make incredible finds. But when it comes to hunting in iron patches and places polluted with trash the CTX is certainly a step up in my opinion. If you throw in the ability to hunt water and better balance and yes the GPS feature the CTX adds up to be quite a machine. I loved mine. But it was too heavy for my bad shoulder, and I just could not not use it with out downing a half bottle of Advil for the next couple of days. Everyone mentions the do it all detector. In my opinion the CTX is the one detector out there that comes the closest. I hear or read about people missing that high silver tone of the E Trac. Really? I consider that a small price to pay for a better detector. Is it a perfect detector? No. But it sure is fun to use if you can swing it.
January 06, 2015 11:22AM
What goodmore said twice.

Just to touch on the nulling.
If you run in combined there is no need to run any disc.thus eliminating any nulling. The 6"coil is a real asset in heavy trash.
I hunt mostly for silver and set mine up to run three tones for most places I hunt.

Everything below the ferrous line which I set at 22 gets a 77 tone.
The first three conductive bins get 200 and the 4th which I set to break at 38 gets a high tone.I use 957.

If I am hunting a really old site that may produce older coins/gold coins I run a wide open ttf and dig a lot.

I had the Deus and it is a good machine but if finding silver coins is high on your priority it want hold a light to the CTX.Trash or no trash.
January 06, 2015 11:47AM
If silver is all you're after stick with the Minelabs if you can handle and like the weight. With both the etrac and CTX with stock coils installed, CTX clear winner. Reasons: CTX audio cleaner generally overall, and with higher sensitivity settings. Tone break capability of CTX running in Combined mode can't be matched with Etrac.
If one wanted to dabble with say some relic hunting and still be able to detect some good silver, a used etrac and used Deus can be had for price of new CTX.
Transitioning from etrac to CTX is easy. Screen numbers very similar. The one thing you'll notice is the tone on CTX is not so "ear opening" when over silver versus Etrac. A few added features like target trace and being able to set tone breaks are easy to learn and use on the CTX.
January 06, 2015 06:59PM
Fully agree with Goodmore & TN.
I came from the Etrac and used it in 50 conductive with open screen on most of my sites and could still hear the silver tone in amongst the high squeal iron But now I don't have to take an earbashing with the ctx as I can still use an open screen in either Ferrous or Conductive and use the combined tones to suit my style of detecting. the tones are clearer and the recovery amongst iron is better.
IMHO the only way to fully utilise the etrac is in conductive tones and with as little discrimination as possible as the coins can be dragged to the lower screen in ferrous depending on depth and orientation in the ground and can give off an iron tone so using 2TF can mislead you.
If you are going to continue hunting in your current settings hold onto the etrac as the ctx will be only an expensive exchange.
The ctx to me is a super machine and I love all the extra features but the ability to control tones and faster recovery are why I changed.
PRK
January 07, 2015 12:11AM
yes, also what goodmore said! well put...

I beatup all my accessible (drivable) areas with the etrac and did really well....then hit a dead end so to speak with diminished finds...so I sold it...

ctx came out, I hesitated but said what the heck...hit all the same spots and did really well again...can't say why technically, it just worked...like magic...

hit a dead end with it again, diminished finds (and was tired of the weight) so I sold it also...

if Minelab stuffs the smarts of the ctx into a '705' enclosure (for say 3.5 lbs max and balanced) I'll be first in line....

maybe it wouldn't 'light up' my areas again but it would be fun (and easier on the old body) to try...