Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Whats the best starter metal detector for the money

Posted by Whimpster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Whats the best starter metal detector for the money
January 08, 2015 10:22PM
Hello,

I've got a co-worker that wants to get into metal detecting.....I need your advice on what metal detector he should start out with?

Should he have one that pin-points and do manual ground balance..

I started out with a new Omega 8000 so I was a bit spoiled...he on the other hand doesn't want to invest that much on a starter detector.
Ok guys and gals....give me your opinions...

Cheers,Bob
Re: Whats the best starter metal detector for the money
January 08, 2015 10:56PM
What kind of $ budget does he have ? New or used? makes sense to me to buy the best used bargain, and now is the time of year to make those deals.

As far as pinpointing, yes that is a must have.

Ground balancing...might get one with automatic, some people never get the hang of manual ground balance.
January 08, 2015 11:29PM
A good used AT Pro. If your friend doesn't take to detecting and wants to sell later much of his investment can be recouped. They are usually easy to find and a great performing detector for the dough. Waterproof too.
January 08, 2015 11:30PM
Teknetics Eurotek Pro with 8" coil $219.00 new, lots of features for the price and easy to use.
January 08, 2015 11:54PM
Hi,,,What kind of metal detecting will he be doing??? Coins,relic,gold on land in the water,, inland lakes or ocean etc.?....JJ
January 09, 2015 12:36AM
He is originally from Scotland...age about 59...he may want to take it back to his homeland and use it during his vacation at times.
Jimmy...think he would like to have a all around detector for coins relics inland fields and ocean sand beaches .....

cadman...I was wondering about the Eurotek Pro with the 11" coil??

tnsharpshooter...think a AT-pro might be a tad bit overload for the first time....but if one could be gotten at a good price it would be something to consider...

Hombre ....yes I agree a used detector would be the best bang for the buck...don't think he wants to go much over $300.00 to start out...he's going to need a set of headphone's,digger,and a pin pointer to get him started.
January 09, 2015 12:39AM
cadman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Teknetics Eurotek Pro with 8" coil $219.00 new,
> lots of features for the price and easy to use.

I have heard this is a great starter. I started with a Garrett ACE 350 and love it. But the Deus has most of my time!
January 09, 2015 01:09AM
I bought the Eurotek Pro with the 8" coil, I have an Omega with the 11" coil, 5" coil and the Nel Sharpshooter coil. The coils all swap, I like the 8" best on the Eurotek. I don't lose but an inch or two compared to the 11" and it is much easier to pinpoint with. The little 5" coil is a crackerjack in trash and still gets good depth.

I haven't used the Pro at a saltwater beach so can't comment on that.
January 09, 2015 02:50AM
Ill make him a deal on a Bandido.
January 09, 2015 03:17AM
xterra 305 is on sale. can get with digger and headphones for 329 ish.
January 09, 2015 05:31AM
Some dealers have the Eurotek Pro with the 8in. coil and headphones & digger included for $219.00. Should be able to find a good pinpointer also and be on budget at $300 total.
January 09, 2015 03:02PM
Hi,,PM sent...JJ
January 09, 2015 10:48PM
If you go with the Euro Tek Pro, just get the 8" coil it will disc. out iron bottlecaps better than the 11" DD coil, plus easier to pinpoint for a beginner. Mark