Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fort site hunt

Posted by Suncoast Wally 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fort site hunt
April 16, 2010 05:11PM
Tom,
We have gained, not only access, but willing participation by the keepers of Ft. DeSoto to hunt the fort site and barracks in particular. The barracks buildings are gone now but they are going to grid that area out and mow all the weeds for us. Historian advises that such a loney job out on the, then island, that gambling was the only intertainment! Are you interested?

Jim Thobe from my club will be calling you about info on getting a rare earth magnet. He has one but it's to small and we do anticipate many, many nails. We'll keep you up to date and probably be doing it in a few weeks before it starts getting to hot!

Wally
Re: Fort site hunt
April 17, 2010 01:00AM
Interesting. Yes, I would be interested. It's quite far for me.......but my passion has caused me to do many weird things. I'd love to join.....maybe give a few 'pointers' if I'm capable.....and make sure the most is gained out of the least amount of time. Work smarter.....not harder,,,,,is the motto. Today, I mounted one of the fairly large Rare Earth magnets on the end of a wooden 1" x 3" x 44"(length) stick.....and notched finger-grooves into the stick/handle.....and will soon see how it helps expedite (and save spinal column) the excavation process.
April 17, 2010 11:50AM
Best of luck . Video would be great.
April 27, 2010 03:32AM
Tom,

In case you don't catch the email the fort hunt is set for May 8th barring any complications. Going to meet at the fort at 0900. I know it's a tough call for you but we would sure love to have you there! No doubt you would refine your masking skills!!

Wally
April 28, 2010 02:38AM
I will try my best!
May 11, 2010 01:42AM
Hey Tom,

Finished first day of Ft. DeSoto hunt with some degree of success, but Historian gave us an open invite to come back as often as we wanted but has to be a Saturday so he can be present.. Otherwise taboo to detectors..Will email you some pics but will post soon if I can figure it out. Fort site had 29 buildings in complex and we barely scratched the surface. All proceeds turned over to Fort museum.

Suncoast Wally
May 11, 2010 11:26AM
Glad you had some success. I've been swamped.....but intend to join you guys sometime. Also, I am on yet another level of a power-learning curve on the beach......and documenting as I go.
May 11, 2010 08:09PM
Wally how about some photos?