Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nokta FORS & Makro Racer VDI Chart

Posted by wjs 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wjs
January 11, 2015 12:04PM
This seems odd that a zinc penny and a dime may only be separated by a couple numbers. Does anyone know at what ID the higher tone comes in in DI3

0 - 5 Hot Rocks
5 -25 Mineralized Ground
25 - 35 Salty and Alkali Soils
10 - 40 Ferrous Targets (Iron, nails)
40 - 50 Foil, Small Gold
56 - 58 US Nickel
82 - 83 Zinc Penny
84 - 86 US Dime
88 - 92 US Quarter
95 - 99 Hot Rocks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2015 12:05PM by wjs.
Re: Nokta FORS & Makro Racer VDI Chart
January 11, 2015 12:15PM
wjs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This seems odd that a zinc penny and a dime may
> only be separated by a couple numbers. Does
> anyone know at what ID the higher tone comes in in
> DI3
>
> Nokta FORS & Makro Racer VDI Chart
>
> 0 - 5 Hot Rocks
> 5 -25 Mineralized Ground
> 25 - 35 Salty and Alkali Soils
> 10 - 40 Ferrous Targets (Iron, nails)
> 40 - 50 Foil, Small Gold
> 56 - 58 US Nickel
> 82 - 83 Zinc Penny
> 84 - 86 US Dime
> 88 - 92 US Quarter
> 95 - 99 Hot Rocks

Wow----that sure isn't much spread between the zinc & dime!
January 11, 2015 12:39PM
If you are cherry picking a site for coins with the Fors, Dig everything between 84 and 95. You will find plenty and very little trash. I have a park filled with trash and I would dig very little junk. Screw caps seemed to always hit on 83.
I have dug a ton of screw caps with the CZ units. always read as a good target. The CZ's just love anything that is round.

Tom in SC
January 11, 2015 12:52PM
The TID on the CoRe is very accurate even in heavy trash not like any I've ever used.
wjs
January 11, 2015 01:52PM
How accurate on deeper targets, say past 6 inches. I know this varies with ground conditions. I have pretty mild soil. I mostly hunt trashy parks that go way back so there is always a chance for old civil war stuff along with both old and modern coins and of course the trash.....;o) I will probably try one of these but want to wait until the racer comes out. If it has the same performance I will probably get it.
January 11, 2015 02:36PM
Shame it's only 3 tones..
January 11, 2015 02:41PM
Three tones is plenty. The inability to move them is the part that I miss.
January 11, 2015 03:03PM
Ferrous Bueller Wrote:
> Shame it's only 3 tones..

Three is plenty on the tones for me. Just turn it on and go. Love the simplicity of it and this dog will hunt. Sometimes I think we/all of us want to tweek things so much when they just plain work as they are. I'm a tweeker a little bit, sometimes a lot, depends. Not much to tweek with this and if you're a tweeker it's probably not for you. Compare finds bags at the end of the day is where the real story is from your other machines. The mighty Compadre will find more than most can imagine even the higher dollar machines. You just have to dig a little more, sometimes a lot more.
January 11, 2015 03:36PM
I was out using the F75Ltd2 and FORS Gold yesterday comparing targets. I was running the FORS in DI3 three tone and F75 in 3 three tone. Big difference is the FORS high tone is zinc penny and above. F75 three tone breaks above zinc penny so is copper penny on up. Three tones or even two tones works just fine for me but I would like to be able to adjust the tone breaks. My notes on both at [www.detectorprospector.com]
January 11, 2015 05:12PM
Plenty for you maybe, but there are others who would like more tone options. What's wrong with giving the end user an option?
January 11, 2015 05:23PM
Nothing. Get a detector that has the features you want. That is why they make so many.
January 11, 2015 05:28PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> Ferrous Bueller Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Shame it's only 3 tones..
>
>
> Three is plenty on the tones for me. Just turn it
> on and go. Love the simplicity of it and this dog
> will hunt. Sometimes I think we/all of us want to
> tweek things so much when they just plain work as
> they are. I'm a tweeker a little bit, sometimes a
> lot, depends. Not much to tweek with this and if
> you're a tweeker it's probably not for you.
> Compare finds bags at the end of the day is where
> the real story is from your other machines. The
> mighty Compadre will find more than most can
> imagine even the higher dollar machines. You just
> have to dig a little more, sometimes a lot more.

Bad analogy. Is the Racer retailing for the same price as the Compadre?
I wouldn't expect a basic low cost machine such as a Compare to have much, if any user adjustments.

I expect mid to hi level machines to have enough customability to allow for adjustment to suit needs as complex or simple as you like. User adjustability to suit taste is one reason those machines cost more.

Look I'm not asking for the impossible user adjustable tone breaks and/or multi tone is well within current technology.
January 11, 2015 05:34PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> Nothing. Get a detector that has the features you
> want. That is why they make so many.

So more tone options would not make the Nokta more attractive to more people? OK got it..
January 11, 2015 05:37PM
It may be that the Racer has it's problems compaird to the CoRe. It may have less adjustments we will have to wait till the machine comes out and see how good this company is at entering a new unit into a market where the consumer is wanting more. It seems to me that if the racer is as good as the CoRe then they will lose sales on that but mybe that is OK with them time to move on to their new model. But it if offers a bit less then the CoRe may pick up sales while the racer attracts new buyers that want to pay less for a machine

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 11, 2015 05:46PM
More options to tinker with or more finds? That is the question really..... :-) in the end it will be finds, if a pine stick found the good stuff, we would all have a pine stick LOL
January 11, 2015 06:13PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> More options to tinker with or more finds? That is
> the question really..... :-) in the end it will be
> finds, if a pine stick found the good stuff, we
> would all have a pine stick LOL

Right because pressing a button and selecting a multitone option is a lot of tinkering.
I'm glad you have your compadre. winking smiley
January 11, 2015 06:33PM
I think we look at detectors differently. The Compadre is a great detector, a classic. It is what it is. If you start adding stuff to it it is not a Compadre any more, it is something else. Leave it be.

A Nokta FORS is what it is. Physical stuff, like buttons, yeah, fix those. But if you change it into a different detector it is not longer what it is, it is something else.

Maybe they will offer a FORS CoRe Pro with extra tones or whatever, but then it will be a different model. That is what you want, and you should for sure let them know that. Maybe they will make one some day. All I am saying is that right now, if that is what you want, you have to get something else.

We need both. We need machines with lots of options and we need machines that just turn on and go. I went through a phase always wanting more bells and whistles but I have discovered it did nothing to increase my finds or make me any better at detecting so these days I am trending back towards simpler detectors. To each his own.
January 11, 2015 07:35PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> I think we look at detectors differently. The
> Compadre is a great detector, a classic. It is
> what it is. If you start adding stuff to it it is
> not a Compadre any more, it is something else.
> Leave it be.
>
> A Nokta FORS is what it is. Physical stuff, like
> buttons, yeah, fix those. But if you change it
> into a different detector it is not longer what it
> is, it is something else.
>
> Maybe they will offer a FORS CoRe Pro with extra
> tones or whatever, but then it will be a different
> model. That is what you want, and you should for
> sure let them know that. Maybe they will make one
> some day. All I am saying is that right now, if
> that is what you want, you have to get something
> else.
>
> We need both. We need machines with lots of
> options and we need machines that just turn on and
> go. I went through a phase always wanting more
> bells and whistles but I have discovered it did
> nothing to increase my finds or make me any better
> at detecting so these days I am trending back
> towards simpler detectors. To each his own.

Fair enough..

Steve, that's very logical and I agree 100%. I'm just saying it's too bad a multitone option on the Nokta isn't available on release. I'd like to use the racer say after work for a couple of hours on multitone and not dig a lot of canslaw or tabs for a shot at getting some old deep items. Conversely, I'd also like to be able to use two tone on cellar holes or when I have more time and be less selective on digging trash.
I don't think that changes the nature of the machine at all. And I also don't believe it's an unreasonable request.

Frankly, I don't understand why requesting an additional audio option gets so many panties in a bunch.
January 11, 2015 07:40PM
its a good start Nokta can improve it later
January 11, 2015 07:41PM
Because it is a forum and if nobody cared nobody would respond and the forum would die! People here are passionate about their detecting.

I am liking the White's MX5 for what you are describing but have been holding out for a version with manual ground balance. Same problem - model that is close but lacking something I want.
January 11, 2015 07:52PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> I went through a phase always wanting more
> bells and whistles but I have discovered it did
> nothing to increase my finds or make me any better
> at detecting so these days I am trending back
> towards simpler detectors. To each his own.

That is what I did and how I feel now also Steve...