Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coin Spill Found with BIG SILVER!

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coin Spill Found with BIG SILVER!
January 19, 2015 12:13AM
I went detecting with a couple of detecting buddies yesterday with my 11-14 upgraded F75 LTD2/DST.

I set it up to detect in 2-tone, and yep it has the "mama" pinpoint bug. The pinpoint is (to me) useless with this audio feedback, so it's going back. I'll check the AM depth to compare notes with posts here to validate if the AM mode has the depth issue. I'll also make note of the 9.0 and 9.1 disc depth before sending it in to make sure it's as good or better when it returns. Currently the disc depth is excellent, and aside from the mama 2-tone pinpoint bug, I've been pretty happy with it in disc mode, depth is excellent, it's far more quite then before, very stable, and even the TID seems more locked onto targets then before the upgrade where it tended to be fairly bouncy.

I decided to wonder over into a field that hasn't really give much up in the past. First find was what looks like an old 1800's binocular eye piece? The a few minutes later I got a wheatie. Didn't think much about it, a wheatie is a new coin for this site. Then a few feet away from the wheatie I got an odd signal. Dug it and got another wheatie. Stuck the pin-pointer back in the hole, and it was singing and dancing! Started pulling wheat after wheat, then an indian, hit some nickels, a buffalo and two V nickels, couple more wheaties and another indian. Rescanned the hold with the detector and it was quite. Thought OK, that's cool, my first old coin spill, but thought it was odd that there wasn't a single silver coin. I decided to grid the area around the coin spill, and about ten feet away I got a 1917S Merc. Continued my grid pattern, and five feet away from that I got a 94 on my F75. It was one of those too good to be true signals, and I was thinking, OK given the coin spill, maybe it's a half. I carefully dug it and out popped a BIG DISC! It was coated in dirt so I couldn't see the front, flipped it over and couldn't see the back either, so I did the unthinkable, put it into my mouth smiling smiley I've done this with half dollars before, but this was larger, when I took it out, I could now see that I had dug my first Morgan silver dollar, an 1878S!

I called my friend over who was swinging a CTX3030 with a 17" coil to see the Morgan, and he helped scan the area to make sure I didn't miss anything, and he didn't get a single signal. Now the site we were detecting predates the Morgan by about one hundred years, but I was pretty stoked with the find smiling smiley

Here's the coins freshly dug, just rinsed the silver off under the faucet with a toothbrush:

Here they are all cleaned up, I like how some of the coins have kept their original color where they were sandwiched together:

Here's the relics. The oval piece next to the buttons was pretty deep and I originally thought it was a piece of junk. But when I got it cleaned up, I believe it's a 1700's Spanish Saint Christopher medallion with a sideways clasp. Bummer it's in such poor condition.

Happy hunting,
Brian
Re: Coin Spill Found with BIG SILVER!
January 19, 2015 12:24AM
Way to go Brian! Now I will have to go to kinzli site and see what Tom post,lol. Congratulations!
January 19, 2015 12:24AM
Very very nice! That's a superb coin spill or splatter whichever. Dang nice looking silver and Indians.............
January 19, 2015 12:31AM
Awesome day...holy smokes. :-)

Kenny
January 19, 2015 12:34AM
Well gag me with a silver dollar, I've spit on dug coins but never mouthed one before, nice job on the Morgan & spill.
January 19, 2015 12:45AM
She's a beauty, congrats!
January 19, 2015 01:48AM
Cal, for an area that hasn't given up much in the past, way to go....... the f75 was the bomb.
January 19, 2015 01:55AM
Sweet, very nice
January 19, 2015 04:20AM
Very Awesome Morgan!!!!

those are the finds you remember forever....

You first dollar,,,,your first Spanish Silver,,,your first Buckle ,,,First Gold coin ETC!

all Priceless!!!

Im very happy for you..

Again California really is showing alot of great finds lately....

Keith
January 19, 2015 04:33AM
Wow great finds! Big congrats!
January 19, 2015 10:06AM
great job. That big silver would have me changing my shorts. Happy for you. You need to look over the spot in all metal. Them dates, that is during the time they used gold coins... KEN , In

Two Tesoro Compadres, One Silver uMax, , and one Whites Surfmaster 2 , Fisher 1266x
I had others I wish I did not sell.
January 19, 2015 12:06PM
F75 ltd2 is looking good. I am looking foward to getting mine out after the ground thaws around here. That big silver would have me shaking in my boots!!
January 19, 2015 04:53PM
Digging a Morgan is a coin I've always wanted to find, and won't forget!

Thanks everyone!

Happy hunting,
Brian
January 19, 2015 05:10PM
Hi Brian,,,,This is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious congratulations on a job well done.. This is what it is all about, creating unforgettable memories...I'm also anticipating your upcoming comparison tests when you get the F-75 back from the hospital.....JJ
January 23, 2015 12:18AM
That is a very nice looking silver dollar, but I’d think twice before putting a freshly dug coin in my mouth.
Well, a gold coin might be an exception.

Congrats on the coin spill and the big silver.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil