Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A story

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A story
January 22, 2015 04:11AM
A long time ago me and my buddy were on a detecting trip. I was a whites dealer...no not some kind of street drug dealer an honest to goodness whites detector dealer. I was friends with Jimmy and his son in Marin County Calif. So we take two DFX and all the coils made for that machine. I understood that machine from the inside out. We found a park an old park and asked if we could hunt it. The grounds keeper told us sure but you won't find anything. He told us that each year for as long as he could remember and that was when he was a kid (and he was an older guy when we spoke to him). He said we have a Forth Of July shin dig and there must be a few hundred people that come each year. He told us that the next day about ten guys come with their machines and find all the good stuff.

So we took out our machines and were using I think the 9 inch coil and our machines went crazy reading all the trash. We could not dig anything but crap junk. So I said lets try the sniper coil. It was a tiny coil so we both put them on and man did we start hitting coins, rings and silver and even some V nickles, Indian heads and I found a flying eagle. we must of had about tweny bucks each in coins and about ten rings and a few gold rings. That coil cleaned up and the grounds keeper almost had a stroke when he saw what we found in about 4 hours of hunting. We didn't tell him about the coils but on the way back we were amazed how that little coil worked.

So you have to wonder in lots of iron and from what I have read about the few that use small coils I wonder how come some of us don't use them. I didn't even when I had the G2 and the F75 I had the five inch coil and didn't use it that much. But now I'm thinking that should be a must in an area that is full of iron nails and junk...If I'm able to get a few relics with the deus in heavy iron and tweek the machine for that kind of hunt what would happen if they made a small coil that worked and could we could still tweek the machine to fine tune the area we want to work?? So here comes the racer with a small coil and it's big brother kicks ass with the small coil. So give us depth and seperation super power the coil so we can use it with a little power or a lot depending where we and what we are hunting and man could that be a game changer....

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: A story
January 22, 2015 04:32AM
Hi Lowboy,,,hey that was a good story that I can relate to.....The key to doing good in most of my areas with a smaller coil is the machines ability to get enough penetration....I'm not talking about clad cause I'm not glad to find clad...So far I have not had that much luck using a small coil......JJ
January 22, 2015 04:46AM
Ive been using a small coil for a long time bud. Hitting those Stockton parks with my sovereign and sunray 5"...winning combo. Good story.
January 22, 2015 10:59AM
Very good story and I agree with you about using the small coil.
January 22, 2015 03:14PM
Good info and story. I've always hunted relics but am now trying coins. It seems that the consensus among the more experienced guys is that the smaller coils are the way to go in bad trash. Thanks for the info.
January 23, 2015 05:41AM
a small coil with a fast processor can make a huge difference in junked areas!
i have found concentrics work best,and are razor like in pin pointing.i personally use whitey's new mx-5
with the 5.3 concentric.it's just a joy to use with an extremely fast reset,and at 6.5 " around,one can overlap
properly and still cover ground fairly well..i use 2 tone which cuts down on the mental fatigue allowing a pleasurable hunt.

(h.h.!)
j.t.