Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Update: Current Bid on The 1901-s Key Date Barber .25

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Update: Current Bid on The 1901-s Key Date Barber .25
January 26, 2015 10:55AM
[www.greatcollections.com]

If you're going to hunt for coins = may as well find stuff like this! lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 10:57AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: Update: Current Bid on The 1901-s Key Date Barber .25
January 26, 2015 12:34PM
P.S.

I still say he should have listed it on Feebay in front of a worldwide audience to bid on and instead of where he did list it.

Hope it goes much higher for him though!
January 26, 2015 04:47PM
Nice going, that coins doing well!

I've found two of 1901S Barber dimes, both were found in the SF bay area.

Interestingly I was hunting a park demo in San Francisco a few years ago. On one trip there I got an 1892S Barber dime, detail wise is was in great shape, but it had black environmental damage. Shame as it's a semi-key date coin. On the other side of the park, on a different hunt I found a 1906S Barber dime that looked like it was dropped the day it was minted. I had some free ANACS gradings and sent them both in to get slabbed. The 1892S Barber dime came back as a VF30 w/environmental damage. The 1906S Barber dime, which is a fairly common date, but was in pristine condition, came back graded as AU55.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2015 04:48PM by Cal_cobra.
January 26, 2015 06:56PM
Hi Wayne,,,,Thanks for the link there's a lot of days left anything can happen... I think he will do really well.....JJ
January 27, 2015 12:19AM
10% buyers fee sucks big time ....
January 27, 2015 12:22AM
silverhound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 10% buyers fee sucks big time ....

Buyers are spoiled by fleabay, most auction houses I deal with are more into the 20% + buyers premium range.
February 09, 2015 04:42AM
Hi Wayne,,,,Thanks for supplying the link, it's over now so I thought I would bring it up to the top....I thought he would of done better on that coin........JJ
February 09, 2015 12:06PM
jimmyjiver Wrote:
> Hi Wayne,,,,Thanks for supplying the link, it's
> over now so I thought I would bring it up to the
> top....I thought he would of done better on that
> coin........JJ

He would have done MUCH better had he listed it where a 100 MILLION people would have seen it/potentially bid on it instead of on a site that maybe 10 people have heard of! lol
February 10, 2015 01:17AM
What about Heritage Wayne? Thats where I window shop,lol.
February 10, 2015 11:33AM
deathray Wrote:
> What about Heritage Wayne? Thats where I window
> shop,lol.

Yeah - even Heritage would have been a better choice Ray

but

Feebay with full blown marketing to the max would have been his best bet by far --- I would have bought/paid for front/home page advertising on eBay and paid for the max/best advertising I could for a coin like that (featured plus, featured in 2 different categories, bold titles, offered shipping worldwide, etc. etc.) to make the auction stand out and be seen by a 100 million people all over the world

he could have done up to 3xs better had he went that route and for only a couple $100's in advertising cost

I used to be a full time Platinum Power seller on ebay for 10 yrs running doing 50/60k per month in coin sales (1/2 million dollars or more per yr) each and every yr (yr after yr) so I know what I'm talking about and how to market coins to their max potential and I know how to use eBay as a marketing tool to it's max potential

a coin like that needs the "audience" as it is highly sought after, tough to find, and has potentially 1000s of buyers just waiting for it to be offered up at market.

But hey = you can lead a horse to water but you can't make em drink!
February 10, 2015 12:13PM
The coin sold for $6,876... a little more than what I thought it would bid. I said it would end between $5-6K and Michigan, you predicted $11.5-18.5K. Similar coins sold for ~ $6K so there was no way it would fetch double that.

Serious buyers watch Great Collections on a regular basis We also watch eBay, Heritage, Stacks and Goldberg. I can't see eBay doing any better on a coin like this. There's just no sales history to support that.

Michigan, why didn't you bid on this coin and relist it on eBay? I was one of the four active bidders who stopped just under $6K.
February 10, 2015 02:06PM
go-rebels Wrote:
> The coin sold for $6,876... a little more than
> what I thought it would bid. I said it would end
> between $5-6K and Michigan, you predicted
> $11.5-18.5K. Similar coins sold for ~ $6K so
> there was no way it would fetch double that.
>
> Serious buyers watch Great Collections on a
> regular basis We also watch eBay, Heritage,
> Stacks and Goldberg. I can't see eBay doing any
> better on a coin like this. There's just no sales
> history to support that.
>
> Michigan, why didn't you bid on this coin and
> relist it on eBay? I was one of the four active
> bidders who stopped just under $6K.

I never "predicted" a damned thing EXCEPT that the coin would grade XF with damage (and that's exactly what it came back as)

I never said it would sell at any given price for 100% absolute -- I stated that the coin was/is WORTH 11.5 to 18k in the grade it has been assigned and I still stand by that no matter wtf YOU or anyone else has to say about it

and I have no interest in dealing with people on ebay anymore - some day you may understand why (IF you're a seller there)
February 10, 2015 02:42PM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> but
>
> being that it's a "dug" coin which they will know
> when they "scope" it for authenticity and grading
> and then label it "environmentally damaged"
>
> you can expect to lose approx. another 30% of
> value which will bring your sale price down to
> around $11,500 -- $18,500
>
> Still not a bad day's diggin there!

-------

Hmmm... OK...

MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
>
> and I have no interest in dealing with people on ebay anymore

But weren't you were one of the big players there? Weren't you recommending that the seller auction it there? I've been buying and selling coins on eBay since it was founded. I have no problems using it today.

You aren't the only one buying and selling coins online. Heck, I just picked up a silver 1943 penny to add to my collection!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2015 03:04PM by go-rebels.
February 10, 2015 07:05PM
go-rebels Wrote:
> MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > but
> >
> > being that it's a "dug" coin which they will
> know
> > when they "scope" it for authenticity and
> grading
> > and then label it "environmentally damaged"
> >
> > you can expect to lose approx. another 30% of
> > value which will bring your sale price down to
> > around $11,500 -- $18,500
> >
> > Still not a bad day's diggin there!
>
> -------
>
> Hmmm... OK...
>
> MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > and I have no interest in dealing with people on
> ebay anymore
>
> But weren't you were one of the big players there?
> Weren't you recommending that the seller auction
> it there? I've been buying and selling coins on
> eBay since it was founded. I have no problems
> using it today.
>
> You aren't the only one buying and selling coins
> online. Heck, I just picked up a silver 1943
> penny to add to my collection!

Hey GoFyourself

wtf is YOUR problem??

WHY is it that since the day I joined this forum 2+ yrs back that you've done nothing except try to discredit me, disprove me or down put me in some fashion??

You have "little man syndrome" or something?

do you SEE a F'ing "guarantee" quoted in that statement I made above?? = NO

it was a simple statement that I stand by no matter what YOU say, do, or think pertaining to it

and yeah - I WAS one of "THE BIGGEST players" on ebay in the coin sales arena for a solid decade (been there since day 1 myself)

but

after paypal took the word & side of a full blown scam artist that ripped ME off for 6k and then told me I had to repay THEM the $$ they gave him back for the coin lot he scammed me out of the 6k on

that was the LAST time I ever gave those F'ing losers another red cent of MY money and I also told them to get F'ed because they'd NEVER get me to pay them for giving some POS scammer his money back

I filed Bankruptcy 4 yrs ago and the debt that they thought they were going to collect from me in their stupid lawsuit against me was thrown in with the rest of my debt so they NEVER got a red cent out of me (as I told them they wouldn't)

now -- I will NEVER reply/respond to another post you make towards me/my post because I don't owe YOU or any schmuck any explanations for any of my post or my statements or my reasons for doing/not doing certain things, etc.

but

I will however - leave this thread and everyone reading it to SEE for themselves what an XF 1901-s Barber 1/4 (with damage) is sold for (notice how much even just the VF asking price is) for a damaged/cleaned piece.

These coins are RARE and highly sought after - I know my coins and where I can sell them for what price/s no matter what YOU say or how you try to make everyone believe they're NOT worth what I say. And with that = YOU can BITE me.

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

[www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2015 07:25PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
February 10, 2015 07:15PM
I will comment. Upon looking at the coin in question (one graded XF Damaged), I think it was damaged looking at the pic. Looked like a pretty good scratch across the face. The coins on the ebay links above this post seem to be in better shape overall. Maybe my eyes are bad, but that what I saw nevertheless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2015 07:19PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 10, 2015 07:25PM
Easy does it big fella... I'm just trying to point out that your pricing estimate in this case was way off the mark, nothing else. Many novice collectors make the same mistake on the MD forums here and elsewhere. It's nothing to get your panties in a wad over.

Links showing UNSOLD coins on eBay mean nothing. It is pricing derived from hard sales that matter, not some retail, inflated asking price. You wanna buy my F75? I'm only asking $4500.

Of course 1901-s quarters are rare. I've bought and sold two in the last half dozen years. But it's disingenuous on your part to lead others less knowledgable than you or I to believe that rare coins are worth multiple times what the market will bear. Then again, maybe you really do believe what you posted. Hmmm... that might just explain your bankruptcy...

Anybody need a silver 1943 penny for their collection?
February 10, 2015 07:29PM
Agreed tnsharpshooter... and the generally rough, corroded surfaces significantly devalue the coin in comparison to one that is moderately 'cleaned.' Hence the big devaluation versus a moderately worn coin.
February 10, 2015 08:18PM
Since I believe it was "myself" that posted on this forum originally here about the Quarter FIND. There are a few principles I try to live by on a daily basis. These principles were learned and validated with my 22 years in the USAF. First, 2 heads are always better than one. Next, anyone can be wrong. And admitting yourself when your wrong is special-takes guts, reflects great character, and shows a learning process. This is one particular reason I like this forum. I have made a few statements concerning detectors and metal detecting in general. I hope someone points out in fact I'm wrong or have overlooked something. Reason-I'd hate to be roaming around with a metal detector for hours on end maybe missing finds, had someone told me different more correct techniques, detector settings I might have been more successful. Having the ability to communicate with folks with like/similar interest is "Relieving" . With the cold weather/snow and new detectors/upgraded detectors appearing at least we have something to talk about and look forward to. Seems Keith S/Steve H/Tom D are doing all the work. We should all take a moment to maybe thank these folks. Life is indeed short. Many buried coins will outlive us all.
February 10, 2015 08:42PM
Where's the 'clapping hands' emoticon?
February 10, 2015 09:18PM
Is this the Quarter the lucky newbee found awhile back?????????????????????
February 10, 2015 09:24PM
Yes, originally posted on the 'friendly' metal detecting forum.
February 11, 2015 01:57AM
Actually I posted it first(not that it matters) and I screwed up on cut n paste,and everyone thought I was the finder,lol. Man,can tell its been a looong winter!
February 11, 2015 02:03AM
I wish I would have been the one to have found it!!! And plenty of toilet paper on hand too!!!!!