Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Trip to old furnace site

Posted by Bflo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Trip to old furnace site
February 10, 2015 01:05PM
Going this morning to the old furnace. It was active from the 1820 to 1870 s. Hope to find some civil war relics as it was a location right of the river near some activity as well. I'll post pics of what we find. Just hoping the ground is ok without to much iron
Re: Trip to old furnace site
February 10, 2015 01:40PM
Good luck.
February 11, 2015 03:01AM
Had a good time. Turned a guy on to detecting he had a blast. Found a lot of junk some old relic pieces with patents on them and a 1901 barber dime. I keep hoping to see an s but I don't think it is there. No war relics but awesome spot gotta be some there.
February 11, 2015 03:16AM
Sounds like you had a good day. And introducing someone to detecting is very noble of you. Silver is silver. And in the dead of winter a bonus as I see it.
February 11, 2015 03:28AM
Check the mint mark on that 1901 Barber dime....could be a semi-key date!
February 11, 2015 04:07AM
Sounds like a challenging hunting spot. Good luck on your return trips.
JD Digger
February 11, 2015 06:17AM
Bflo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Going this morning to the old furnace. It was
> active from the 1820 to 1870 s. Hope to find some
> civil war relics as it was a location right of the
> river near some activity as well. I'll post pics
> of what we find. Just hoping the ground is ok
> without to much iron

Just the name "the old furnace" makes me think knee deep in iron, but hope not and good luck.
February 11, 2015 02:09PM
It really wasn't as bad as I expected. There was some iron but I have been to worse home sites. My 75 was really quite. Not any chatter , even had to check to make sure my headphone switch was on a few times. Pleasant day we are planning another trip. Found the dime close to a sistrine. Cal cobra I did not see a mint mark on it but it was pretty worn. I'll check again after soaking