Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Failed" hunts-Post your story!

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"Failed" hunts-Post your story!
February 10, 2015 06:56PM
We always hear about great hunts but what about ones where you didn't find anything remotely good? I just read an interesting hunt where no one got anything hardly at all. So I wanna hear them!

Bey
Re: "Failed" hunts-Post your story!
February 10, 2015 07:01PM
Ever see Roland Martin get skunked on TV while fishing???
Sorta falls in line with Goodmore's opinion, "I've never read a bad review of a metal detector in a treasure magazine".

I been on many hunts and found very little or nothing. I've also went fishing and caught little or nothing, same with deer hunting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2015 07:04PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 10, 2015 07:19PM
I would starve living off my finds. But I never had a bad hunt. The finest form of relaxation I know of next to......how do I keep it clean? Good people and beautiful properties are reward enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2015 07:25PM by goodmore.
February 10, 2015 07:34PM
A few years ago I packed up for a 25 mile trip to a hunting site where a buddy found an old foundation. Boots... water bottle, pinpointer, trash bag, extra batteries, small coil... and I found absolutely nothing. No iron, no trash, not even a single beep.

I left the detector at home leaning against the garage...
February 10, 2015 07:36PM
go-rebels Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A few years ago I packed up for a 25 mile trip to
> a hunting site where a buddy found an old
> foundation. Boots... water bottle, pinpointer,
> trash bag, extra batteries, small coil... and I
> found absolutely nothing. No iron, no trash, not
> even a single beep.
>
> I left the detector at home leaning against the
> garage...

You got to hate when that happenssmiling smiley
February 10, 2015 07:44PM
Funny how the mind works at times. We worry about forgetting the small things to make the adventure more enjoyable and in the end we forget the nucleus item. I've never forgot my gun when going hunting, have 1 time forgot the ammo. Drive 15 miles and whoops!! Real embarrassing feeling indeed. But you know the ole saying. Shzt happens.
February 10, 2015 08:10PM
There have been many many times where I go out and find little to nothing at all...not even clad. But it sure makes the few times when I do find some good stuff well worth the effort. It's all in the getting out and the anticipation of what may be in that next scoop of dirt! Kinda like hunting Easter eggs? ;*)
February 10, 2015 08:56PM
I had many bad hunts with finds that are not worth carrying home (or without anything at all). I also had a few pretty embarrassing moments, where I was not able to get a big, very promising object out of the ground (with my "Hori Hori" knife). I then had to drive home to get my shovel and a shopping trolley (gold is heavy)! Back at the spot I had to realise that the object could not be moved, because it was somehow embedded to the ground. What looked like an iron treasure chest turned out to be a square manhole (or another strange object) in the middle of nowhere. I feel always pretty low when I realise it... sad smiley Happened to me several times, but one day I'm sure it will be a treasure chest.

I also found a small aluminum case in a plastic box in the ground (with a lock). I took it home, without opening it. I spent much time on the train, imagining what could be inside... As I opened the box, a "logbook" poped out. It was just another weird geocache. I was pretty dissapointed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2015 08:59PM by x2000.
February 10, 2015 09:18PM
Yep, many hours wasted, but, ya gotta put in the time. The definition of not 'skunked' for me as a old coin hunter is, finding wheat (s) or older...and that's pushing it.
February 10, 2015 09:55PM
Failed for me depends on the day! lol

I did have an AT Pro a while back and drove 20 miles to meet up with some guys for a few hr hunt --- got there and realized I forgot the middle rod at home (3 piece rod - lower, middle, upper) but I took it apart to clean the night before and didn't put the middle rod back in the carry bag for some reason (so) when I arrived - my ATP was about 2 ft too short to hunt with! lol

All was not lost though = redneck 101 I used some duct tape and a tree branch as my middle rod for the hunt!

Reminds me -- long ago (waaay long ago like 20+ yrs ago) I was out in the woods searching for the long lost site of an old annual 3 day picnic/gathering/festival that was held ea yr on the same weekend from the late 1880s thru the 1960s which the admission was .10 when it 1st began and progressed to .50 by it's end -- I figured if I could find the site - I could find some serious coinage lost over that period of time and all older and/or silver too

but anyway

one day while I was out there searching for the site (which I never did find btw) I got a loud/strong hit and when I looked down = I found an old broken Garrett TR Hunter machine in a pile of overgrown brush/grass all beat to death that showed signs of having been there for at least a decade (he was looking for the same site as me I'd bet)!

But moral of story = THAT guy had a "failed" day of hunting for sure!
February 10, 2015 09:56PM
So many stories so little time,
February 10, 2015 10:55PM
Not enough time or space.

Really I generally fine something of interests to me only.
February 10, 2015 11:26PM
Whew Wayne....I thought you were going to say hunting in GA with Keith...

Almost all my hunts are fail's

Keith
February 11, 2015 12:54AM
I don't want to remember all my failed hunts lmao, it would put me in a deep
depression lol. Corey
February 11, 2015 01:54AM
how about it JJ...you seem to always have a good one to tell
February 11, 2015 02:04AM
Fall park hunt, lots of leaves, stepped in 2 piles of hidden dog @#$%& (both shoes)...end of hunt....search for hose....
February 11, 2015 03:44AM
When I first started detecting, if I found a few clad pennies in my yard......I would be excited and be ready for my next trip. But when I stumbled upon my first Civil War campsite (in a yard, in town) and started finding buttones and bullets about every few minutes......it ruined me. Now, if I don't find at least one bullet or button or silver coin or Indian head,........I feel crappy.
February 11, 2015 04:27AM
Kevin B Wrote:
> When I first started detecting, if I found a few
> clad pennies in my yard......I would be excited
> and be ready for my next trip. But when I
> stumbled upon my first Civil War campsite (in a
> yard, in town) and started finding buttones and
> bullets about every few minutes......it ruined me.
> Now, if I don't find at least one bullet or
> button or silver coin or Indian head,........I
> feel crappy.

Great point Kevin, When u find so many great things, there seems to be no where to go but down LOL But u never know. Great stories guys!!!! Im lovin it, I got a few to tell, and I will a bit later.

Bey
February 11, 2015 04:39AM
Thanks to that dumb "Diggers" show sponsored by Garrett metal detector company,

I was turned down to hunt a property I did research on for over two years.

The owner said his brother wanted to buy a new AT Pro and hunt it with his brothers.

More power to em! I'll never buy any Garrett product ever!!!
February 11, 2015 04:52AM
Hombre Wrote:
> Thanks to that dumb "Diggers" show.......

I was denied access to a place in WY because of that show. They said there might be a posibility that they would do a show there so I couldn't hunt. Kind of irritating.

Kenny
February 11, 2015 05:09AM
I found a cache of gold coins in the ground...but left them for future detectorist. Just kidding ya dude. Most my hunts arenot productive finds wise,but I always find adventure. Love hiking around exploring the canyons and hills in gold country.
February 11, 2015 06:38AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> We always hear about great hunts but what about
> ones where you didn't find anything remotely good?
> I just read an interesting hunt where no one got
> anything hardly at all. So I wanna hear them!
>
> Bey

If you haven't had failed hunts- You ain't Detecting.

Michiganrelichunter said "used some duct tape and a tree branch as my middle rod for the hunt" now that's funny, and he's a dedicated detectorist.
February 11, 2015 07:52AM
ozzie Wrote:
> Yep, many hours wasted, but, ya gotta put in the
> time. The definition of not 'skunked' for me as a
> old coin hunter is, finding wheat (s) or
> older...and that's pushing it.

yup! know this all too well!..feel the same!
finding wheaties ALWAYS lights a fire under my
"ass" though!..and has done so for a long time!
i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 11, 2015 07:57AM
deathray Wrote:
> I found a cache of gold coins in the ground...but
> left them for future detectorist. Just kidding ya
> dude.

Appreciate the humor as I didnt want you mad at me despite the fact i think different than most people. I am sorry DR(and MRD) to ruffle feathers my intention was to show some that if they had children, they may want to save some for them smiling smiley

Bey
February 11, 2015 07:58AM
canslawhero Wrote:
> Fall park hunt, lots of leaves, stepped in 2 piles
> of hidden dog @#$%& (both shoes)...end of
> hunt....search for hose....

won't have to worry about being bothered
if ya can stand the aroma!..no concern about being "pitched"
either!...ehe! he! he!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 11, 2015 11:51AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Whew Wayne....I thought you were going to say
> hunting in GA with Keith...
>
>
> Almost all my hunts are fail's
>
> Keith

Nah - hunting with you & Troy was good fun Keith,

a very eye opening experience as to the terrain, the type of soil and the dirt/mineral issues you'all have to deal with... Challenging to say the least (which is a good thing!) and = it was a great experience in my book ;-)
February 11, 2015 03:31PM
Never had a failed hunt. They're all great. It's a big win just to go out detecting. Any finds are just icing on the cake. The next beep may be the find of a lifetime.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2015 03:33PM by Shenandoah Digger.
February 11, 2015 03:40PM
Lots of times I've went out locally and hunted places where stuff SHOULD have been...but for whatever reason, wasn't. But on the flip side...I've found stuff where it SHOULDN'T have been too.

But the hunt I spoke about in the "banned" thread was the worse. I paid $200 entry fee to go on the hunt. Drove 8 hours to get there. Stayed at the host hotel...which was not cheap...and found a single bucky ball.

When I got home, I hit a small hill top about 10 mins from my house and found 5 eagle buttons and a J-Hook and some 3 ringers. Didn't cost me a dime. LOL.
February 11, 2015 04:07PM
Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes he gets you analogy..

Indeed sometimes the places that look good fail to produce and of course vice-versa........
February 11, 2015 05:38PM
Being new to the hobby about 15years ago, I took my first trip to Daytona beach with high expectations.. I had my cz-20.I walked away with 2 cents. If I hadn't spent so much on the detector I'm sure I would have quit.