Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Operating frequency vs ground mineralization

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Operating frequency vs ground mineralization
May 08, 2010 12:03AM
Keith S mentioned something that has tipped my curiosity. Some of the higher freq machines can struggle a bit in highly mineralized ground.
My questions are thus.
A. In highly mineralized ground , which operating freq tends to work the best?
B. In medium mineralized ground, which operating freq tends to work the best?
C. In lite mineralized ground, which operating freqs. tend to work the best?
D. Would a multifreq. machine operate the same in all types of ground?
TIA
Re: Operating frequency vs ground mineralization
May 08, 2010 12:55AM
Hmmmmm. I think I answered this a few weeks ago......somewhere on this forum.

The higher the mineralization......the more attenuation takes place with higher Freq units. Lower Freq units work better in high mineralization; yet, PI's will trump all.

If you have low/no mineralization.............then Freq selection takes on a different meaning/function. Since attenuation becomes a moot point; it would then become a choice for finding low conductors (utilizing higher Freq units).........................or high conductors such as silver and copper; you would then utilize a lower Freq unit.

In general; multi-Freq units will handle bad dirt a bit better; yet, the T2/F75 platform will parallel the performance of a CZ. If the dirt is quite bad; the multi-Freq Explorer's would be the optimal choice.....if ID is a absolute requirement. If not................then................once again....the PI's will trump all.

Multi-Freq units do NOT operate with the same performance..... as mineralization becomes heavier. They too....will lose performance/depth/ID accuracy...................just not as detrimentally fast as single Freq units. Single Freq units (in general) will be the first units to suffer...as mineralization increases.