Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F75se with DST upgrade hunt (with comments about 1N tone and TRX pinpointer)

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F75se with DST upgrade hunt (with comments about 1N tone and TRX pinpointer)
February 12, 2015 01:37AM
Hunted today for 7 hours, I'm flat beat. Temperature was 48+-4 degrees F, ground conditions damp-hadn't rained in 3.5 days. Ran unit 0 disc, sens 99, Bp, 2F tone, ground grab G/B with stock coil. Targets were few and far between. Forgot to mention, took the White's TRX pinpointer along. With the TRX powered down, waving it around F75's control head with it set as mentioned above no static, no display coming up, notta, seems no interference unlike the garrett pinpointer. Had to hunt for 1.5 hours before I reached my first target. Boys and girls this detector is deeeep when using discrimination. I periodically checked mineralization by bobbbing coil and watched my iron meter and noticed 4 bars in all places in the site I detected today. I dug 2 shallow finds, around 6 inches deep. The rest were right at TRX pinpointer length (10")deep except for one. The little washer (I believe copper), was dug at TRX pinpointer length plus one inch deep. I didn't find the dime, but put it in the pic to show size relation to the small washer. Now for this IN tone. I checked all targets using it before I started digging them. I actually heard tone this time on all of them. On the shallow finds the tone sounded better (longer) and would repeat with swings. On the deeper targets, I could hear the tone, sounded like it was shorter and also sounded like it was being choked-like fighting to squeeze through the audio gate. Also, I would start swinging over the deeper targets in 1N tone and all would be fine (except for shorter tone), and with repeated swings trying to stay consistent on coil position and swing speed, the tone would shut down, and then with continued sweeps the tone would sound off one way as the coil passed over target and then later it would maybe give tone when coil came back across target from other direction. I saw this with all the deeper targets. For me 1N tone is a no no to use when relic hunting. Maybe it has a purpose, but I feel if one uses it, they risk passing up deep targets. I can honestly say after today along with my hunt last Saturday with the upgraded F75 detector, I dug deeper on average than I ever have with either of my minelabs Etrac/CTX, White's V3i and Deus-although I did dig one 11" wheat with it. The upgraded F75's I feel this spring when folks are able to get out more with them will be surprised on it depth capabilites. My machine ran quiet all day. I did dig one of the small bullets(non 3 ringer) right under the big power lines at a depth of 10". Just after I dug it I ran into a gent swinging a White's XlT. We talked a bit and he commented, "Better watch those power lines." I said you don't hunt under or close to them, he said no, his machine was noisy when close. I pulled my headphones and turned the volume to max, with machine wide open in disc just like I had been hunting with it. Not a peep of static, pinball machine tones, notta. The gent couldn't beleive it. He started inquiring more info about it. All in all a good day. May have to find another site though. I think this one is about dry.
Re: F75se with DST upgrade hunt (with comments about 1N tone and TRX pinpointer)
February 12, 2015 02:10AM
Hi,,it sure seems that you got an upgrade that is correctly done...There's hope after all...Thanks for sharing.....JJ
Re: F75se with DST upgrade hunt (with comments about 1N tone and TRX pinpointer)
February 12, 2015 02:11AM
The piece of chain appears to be a window weight chain. Thanks for the report tn.
February 12, 2015 02:23AM
Forgot to mention White's TRX pinpointer functioned well. I did have the sensitivity turned up to a level of one less than max. Took a little while to get accustomed to the tone it produces=little different than Garrett. As far as the chain in the pic, don't know for sure. I have been told besides CW battle at the site, there were WWII maneuvers held as well. I thought it might be the chain off of canteen. I'm not very good at identification of relics. I just dig when the detector tells me to. I figure I can sort out the "what is it" later.
February 12, 2015 03:38AM
Maybe you need a bigger coil to get a bit deeper?
February 12, 2015 03:43AM
That might help with depth a bit, but remember 4 bar soil aint gentle. And to dig at the depths I have been digging in this 4 bar soil speaks volumes about the depth of F75 DST upgraded running at max.
In low mineral to medium 1-3 bar soil, better leave your hand digger at home and take shovel or TNT.
February 12, 2015 04:04AM
You can crank out about 2-3 inches more depth with a 12x13 coil on a minie ball in the ground in disc mode...even more so in all metal, unless your upgrade killed the all metal mode power. I'm still a fan of the NEL Tornado as replacement primary coil for the F75. I tried going to a bigger size coil than the 12x13 but did not see enough gain to justify the weight. From my testing, the 12x13 size is about peak on that platform. You could go NEL Tornado or Ultimate 13. I thought the Tornado was more stable and deeper but that's just my take. To really clean a site up, you need to investigate some of those deeper sounds that register as iron on the ID. Especially in anything over 3 bar dirt. I've dug a lot of deep non ferrous relics that read as iron in the ground on the F75.
February 12, 2015 04:07AM
Where's a good place to purchase NEL coil??? And yes I want a quiet one.
February 12, 2015 04:12AM
Good post TN, thanks for sharing. Great to hear your seeing those kind of depths in 4 bar dirt. My soil conditions are the same. Can't wait to be able to use one that works as it is supposed to. When I get back home, mine is going back for the third time :-(

Kenny
February 12, 2015 04:17AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where's a good place to purchase NEL coil??? And
> yes I want a quiet one.

Rich has excellent service and free shipping. I have ordered from him in the morning and it gets shipped the same day. [www.colonialmetaldetectors.com] I bought a Tornado from him for my AT Gold. Works very well on the AT.

Kenny
February 12, 2015 04:27AM
Thanks Kenny, I will inquire about in a few days.

David
February 12, 2015 05:25AM
Don at North GA Relics also sells the NEL coils. If he doesn't have one in stock, I have ordered a couple from the Golddiggers up in NJ. They ship fast and I got both my coils 2 days after I ordered via UPS Ground.
TRX; no perfect pinpointer yet
February 12, 2015 02:15PM
I've had the Garrett Pro Pointer for about 2 years. Sometimes the falsing gets aggravating. Bought a TRX a few weeks ago. Can't use it with my Deus due to interference. And I have it set to vibrate. Vibration is weak compared to Garrett.
I do like the ratcheting feature where I can push the button to reduce sensitivity in stages as I home in on the target. I also like it that the pinpointing is at the tip and not along the entire barrel.
Yesterday, for some reason the TRX went off with a constant vibration while I was pinpointing. Had to shut it down and restart. Don't know what that was about.

Guess I'm still waiting for the perfect pin pointer.

Oops, forgot to mention the nice finds! Been a long time since I found a finial. What are the two dark disks, buttons?

I should clarify that the interference between the Deus and TRX affects the Deus, not the TRX, and only while the TRX is turned on (duh).

hey, it seems wildwally1 fixed the editing problem (this is my 3rd edit).

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 02:55PM by ncwayne.
February 12, 2015 02:32PM
My buddies Deus drives my trx nuts also
February 12, 2015 02:40PM
My TRX picks up down the sides of barrel plus tip. I do have mine jacked up on sensitivity a bit. Only thing about the TRX, slightly less decibels than Garrett. Ashamed really, you would think if White's was wanting to compete or surpass Garrett, that part would have been a no-brainer. But it's a bunch better than the White's Bullseye2 pinpointer . The bullseye 2 pinpointer was a joke. How could such a reputable company even let a piece of garbage like that come to bear and be sold with their name on it???? Dah!! A wall stud finder for $19.95 actually outperformed.

Oh yeah, those dark looking disc are buttons. My photography skills are lacking it seems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 02:52PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 12, 2015 05:58PM
Thats a "done site for you? Can I have it then? Many of my sites I hunt for 6-8 hrs and a good hunt is 1 or 2 bullets.
February 12, 2015 08:25PM
Awesome finds!!!! Man if I could find that much stuff at my primary CW site, I would be a very happy detectorist. You did VERY well and congrats. VERY WELL DONE!!!!
February 12, 2015 09:29PM
Nice finds there tnsharpshooter!

I got my F75 LTD2 back from round 2 at the First Texas repair depot. After sending in my 2009 LTD for the DST upgrade, it came back with the new 2-tones mama bug, and seemed to have a bit of AM depth loss. Disc mode depth was great, and the machine was very stable/quite compared to pre-upgrade.

This time they replaced the motherboard. I've tested the 2-tone mama bug and it's fixed, but I have not field tested it yet. This weekend I'm heading back to an old area where last month I pulled an 1836 bust half, and a bunch of nice relics from. Last time I hunted it in disc mode with my disc some where between 4-7, BP mode, 99 sens, and 3H tones. I plan to use 0 disc, BP mode, 99 sens, and perhaps try the 2F tones, perhaps switching to 3H when I get a hit to see if I get any noticeable depth or better hits with 2F vs 3H tones additional audio data.

I also picked up a NEL Tornado 12x13 coil to hunt an open area that has pockets of 1840's-1860's camp site scattered around it, and then hit the bed of nail iron infested sites with the little 5" coil.

Should be an interesting weekend, hopefully something good is found.

HH,
Brian
February 12, 2015 10:41PM
sekypaleo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats a "done site for you? Can I have it then?
> Many of my sites I hunt for 6-8 hrs and a good
> hunt is 1 or 2 bullets.

I see the finds slowing down, harder to muster. Site has been hit hard by experienced and not so experienced hunters. It's about a 30 minute drive for me. Will hunt a little more. May try a tornado coil on the beast of a F75 upgraded unit and see what happens. One thing about this site. It's been hunted enough, if you do find a great deal, you can start focusing on your equipment/techniques. Cause one or both are likely the cause of your success at this site.

Cal Cobra,
I think you will do very well. You might surprise your self. I know my unit surprised me. I almost left the 11" deep washer yesterday. If I wouldn't have switched my detector to AM and checked hole after I had done dug I thought to China, I would a walked. So watch out, and don't give up digging the deep signals. Almost forgot to mention the small washer pinpointed showed 13" depth. But because of it's size the detector was obviously fooled a bit, which is understandable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 10:43PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 13, 2015 02:16AM
CAL COBRA--Please post your opinion on the "updated" 75. I have been reluctant to send mine in. I HATE the return game. Thanks.
February 16, 2015 03:37PM
tnsharpshooter:

Great post and fantastic finds. I wanted to ask you a question that NCWayne so graciously provided his opinions. Is it your experience that the Discrimination mode on the F75 SE 2 (Upgraded) is as deep, shallower, or deeper than the All Metal mode? NCWayne indicated he hunts in discrimination as well.

I gather that All Metal took a hit with the upgrade and Discrimination received a boost. So, as it is too cold to try my newly upgraded machine, I am soliciting responses.

Keep up the pictures and finds. Fantastic post.

Thanks.

Chuck
February 17, 2015 03:29PM
Haven't used AM for hunting. Air test reveal AM deeper on my unit vs disc.
February 17, 2015 04:29PM
On my 12/14 the AM is deeper. 16" nickels compared to 13 on Disc. with an air test. I believe the newer units will take the upgrade better from what I have seen. When I first got mine back it seemed like I was going to have to return it but it seem to settle down after doing a default several times. Now I won't part with it. Got a 10" Elliptical for the park hunting for rings. Can understand your reluctance to send it in though.